• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The RUGER Lightweight commander is right up your alley. It is next on my list. Carried a 5 inch 1911 for two years. Been carrying a commander 4.25" for over a year. Perfect length. Now the lightweight commander is about a quarter pound lighter. All for around 600-700

We have owned more than a few of these. Problem is when I get one tuned up to my liking one of my kids abscond with it or a friend just absolutely has to have it.

Yes, I like them. I just built one up for the spouse. Not for me.....:(.....the spouse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Meh. Get a Glock 19 and be done with it.
    It's under your price so you can get ammo and holster instead of dragging that relic around.

I KIIIID I KIIID !!!

I used to have a Kimber CDP with the short butt and mid-size barrel that carried like a dream. It was the last .45 I got rid of due to hand and wrist injuries.

Bob

Sometimes we are limited like this.........:(

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Belt and holster for comfort.

Low ride and proper technique for quick presentation. 5" vs 4" will be miniscule to zero in presentation differences.

If your goal is to get better, invest in yourself with some quality training and then practice sessions. If your goal is to own a bunch of guns, buy whatever you want for that tickles your fancy.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I carried a 3.5" 1991A1 compact for 10 years. That extra inch and a half is definitely noticeable. It's more the weight and ease of concealment I'm looking for.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It's a horrible paradox, go too small and light (LW officer) and they kick like a rented mule (that's the first problem of many). Full sized steel frame shoots like a Cadillac but you need a back pack to carry it.
    I know it's a 1911 abomination but I've got a Dan Wesson guardian, aluminum framed commander in 9mm and flat out love it, the sweetest shooting semi auto center fire I have shot. Fully loaded 9+1 it weighs 2lbs 2oz. The gun, mag and 9-230gr .45's is 2lb 6oz. it's more than your budget but should give you an idea what the wieght is.

I carried my full-sized Ruger SR1911 for a while, but decided to go with something lighter and ended up with a DW CCO:

CZ-USA DW CCO - CZ-USA

It's a commander length barrel on an officer length frame, which is aluminum. Fully loaded, it's the same weight as my wife's G19 fully loaded. It does kick more than a full size 1911, or course, but I find it quite manageable. The only issue is that it's quite a bit out of your budget. I almost went with the Guardian, like wagyu52, but decided to go with something that was even smaller. If you look around, you'll find something that fits your needs and is within your budget, like the Springer LW champion.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The DW CCO is my choice for 1911 carry too. If you shop used, they can be found at around the $1100 point, which is a bit north of your max, but worth saving the extra money for. I also have a Kimber 4.25" Stainless Compact which has an aluminum frame. That one cost about $900 several years back and it's been a good gun too. The Kimbers are lightly optioned at that price and by the time you add night sights and replace the plastic MSH, you are into DW territory.

I have not really found the recoil on the smaller 1911s with aluminum frames to be harsh. Sure, it's not the sweet, soft recoil of a full size, all steel 1911, but it's also not the bark of a G29 with Underwood ammo.

Top Bottom