• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't think the average American can begin to understand just how much harm this will do to all of the modern conveniences that we take for granted.
    The airborne silica will totally freeze up standard internal combustine engines irreparably, to name but one example.
    For the few with electric cars, the brushes of the motors in those will probably be so severely abraded that they will also lock up pretty quickly.
    What this would do to cell phones and other senzitive electronics is anyone's guess, but it's bound to be pretty bad, and not just from silica dust damaging them, but the atmospheric problems with radio signals.
    It would be ugly.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I don't think the average American can begin to understand just how much harm this will do to all of the modern conveniences that we take for granted.

I tried to drive through Dunkin Donuts on the way to work this morning and they closed the store due to a register/computer failure. I guess no one knows how to use a pen any more....

If nothing else, those that can't live without electricity will become food for those that can.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This is not the only huge volcano waiting to happen. I know there's one in South America that is supposed to be expanding that's supposed to be so big only one erupts every 75k years. Probably the same with Y-Stone. If any of them happen in our life time they will be civilization changing (possibly ending) events.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Best move to Miami to play it safe. This news would make the Russians happy. One less nuke they have to use to set off the fireworks.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    map-icbm-missile-fields-inactive-624.png

Looks like our ICBM fields would be rendered useless if the Yellowstone super-volcano ever erupts.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I just read that a huge crack size of 6 football fields has opened up in Wyoming by tensleep... tried to post the link but I don't know how....

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^ Care to elaborate? I thought it had something to do with being made of sedimentary rock and having the Colorado River blasting away at it over the course of nearly 2 billion years

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Cracks like the above, IF seismic in nature (as opposed to a collapsed karst feature), are a good thing.

Same with dozens and dozens of small EQs.

Many low energy dissipation events are much better than one HUGE one.

Something else to think about: Should the YS Caldera erupt...or even the South American one mentioned above... The chances of it triggering many more seismic / volcanic events world-wide go way up.

I'd think that a death toll of 1 Billion would be on the low side.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Cracks like the above, IF seismic in nature (as opposed to a collapsed karst feature), are a good thing.

Same with dozens and dozens of small EQs.

Many low energy dissipation events are much better than one HUGE one.

Something else to think about: Should the YS Caldera erupt...or even the South American one mentioned above... The chances of it triggering many more seismic / volcanic events world-wide go way up.

I'd think that a death toll of 1 Billion would be on the low side.

I agree, but to quibble I'd say it would depend on the time span and how you figure the death toll. 1 billion I'd say from what little I've read would be accurate, if you consider deaths only relating to the eruption itself and within a certain time frame let's say 3-6 mo. When you figure in the deaths caused by looters/anti-looters, starvation, etc, yeah the death toll will probably exceed 1 bil by more than just a little.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    i take all of this "news" as "they just dont know." Imagine what they'll come out with next year. They've tried to age the oceans, and new "studies" keep coming out that "disprove" the last study. They continually put out new stuff, i think so they'll still get funding. Have they been able to understand how every other area on the earth has an impact on yellowstones magma chamber and the rate at which is fills? Does this change every year, decade, century? They just dont know.

Top Bottom