• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So anyone else have a gun that you habitually forget to pack mags for when you hit the range?

So for the third time in two years, (and the % of visits is scary) I once again forgot to pack ANY mags for my 10/22. I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and headed out to Proteq for probably my last visit of the year. Ive got a new 10/22 for the kids that needed tested, so I grabbed that along with the rest of the guns I was taking.

When I got to the range, I looked in my bucket of goodies, and realized I had plenty of ammo, just nothing to put it in. :xmad: So I had to hand feed it the half dozen or so rounds to make sure it performed well.

Luckily the last time this happened it was at Parabellum and the staff was kind enough to lend me one so I could make sure my 10/22 was sighted in prior to the next day's Appleseed. (I literally wouldnt have had time to drive back home and get it before they closed, and the shoot was the next day :faint:)

I need to start a freaking checklist, or setting out each gun with its ammo and mags in neat little groups as I prepare to throw them in the trunk.

I swear if my memory gets any worse I'll be able to throw myself a surprise party.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I went out the other day with the expressed purpose of shooting groups with my bolt gun. Totally forgot my sled. :n00b: Oh well, I'll just my nice rear bag support. DOH! Forgot that too. :ugh:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you use the same vehicle every time, just put two extra in storage.

As small as a factory mag is, I'll probably just stick one in my range bag. Not like it takes up much space...

And I've done it with my 1911 too. I may need to just start a separate "mag bag" and keep one of each in it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If you use the same vehicle every time, just put two extra in storage.

I leave a small range bag in the trunk that has one Mag and at least a box of ammo for every gun I shoot on a regular basis. Along with extra ears, glasses and a Walther P22. I have loaned that pistol out more times when there's a kid or wife board out of there mind because daddy or husband / boyfriend could care less about anyone shooting themselfs.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have done this several times too. I've taken a gun but no ammo, ammo but no gun for one of the guns I was planning to shoot.

I have since fixed this by following one of Churchmouse's leads. He has an ammo can full of loaded mags when he gets to the range. After he shoots the mag he turns it the opposite way when inserted back into the ammo can.

I have about 10 single pistol bags that that have a pouch on one side with 7 slots for mags. The pouches on the other side will hold a Plastic Dillon box that holds 100 rounds each. I have the gun in the case and the mags loaded before I go so I'm not wasting time at the range or at a class reloading mags.

They had them on sale at Midway USA for $10 each when I bought the ten.
    MidwayUSA Tactical Pistol Case

I would put together a bag for the 10/22 and load the mags before you get there to help you remember to bring them along.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I keep the mags with the gun.

Like 17, I also take the P-22 on most range trips. That little gun gets a lot of mileage!

I have everything compartmentalized. Excepting EDC and defensive items, Guns are in the vault, and ammo/mags are in the ammo locker. for me it is better organizationally to not keep the mags in the vault. (too much clutter)

I probably just need to lay it out/checklist it. I dont have tons of cash/spare mags, so probably a "mag bag" with one extra mag of everything I own is probably my best bet since I dont have that many. For the quick trip with just my EDC I can skip it, but if I take other items, I can throw the mag bag into my gear bucket and CYA.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have everything compartmentalized. Excepting EDC and defensive items, Guns are in the vault, and ammo/mags are in the ammo locker. for me it is better organizationally to not keep the mags in the vault. (too much clutter)

I probably just need to lay it out/checklist it. I dont have tons of cash/spare mags, so probably a "mag bag" with one extra mag of everything I own is probably my best bet since I dont have that many. For the quick trip with just my EDC I can skip it, but if I take other items, I can throw the mag bag into my gear bucket and CYA.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The stock on my 10/22 holds 2 factory mags so I never forget to take them with me.........although sometimes I forget they are there.:oldwise::fogey:

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Yeah and I went the other way. I was living in Memphis at the time and had joined one of the local astronomy clubs. We'd gotten together at a dark sky site. When I went to open my eyepiece case I found that I'd grabbed my pistol case. Had a fun night looking through other people's telescopes and telling them why I used my Ruger SRH in the woods and a 7-30Waters Contender on the plains. Had a great evening...

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I once drove to Roush DNR Range, about an hr or so away from me. Got there,started opening my rifle bags and realized that I did not have any of my trigger lock keys. I never ever use a trigger locks now.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Got to the range one time, forgot all hearing protection. Thankfully another guy had some spare earplugs. After that I bought 2 packs of like 6 ea and leave them in range bag.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You know, It's over achievers like you that make us normal guys look bad. LOL

I'm no overachiever.

I don't take a ton of gear, so it's easy to keep track of my stuff.
    Am kind of organized though.

Or is it OCD?

I also don't try to rush to the range, shoot for an hr or so.
    Have always been a "day at the range guy".

It's going to be relaxing, so I'm relaxed going into prep.
    Slow and steady...........avoids mistakes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Don't need my range bag if I swing by LGS/range and they have something to try out.........got my gear.
    Spare eyes/ears.............stashed in my truck. Been doing that for decades.

Don't squirrel hunt anymore really.........once in a great while.
    But back in the day I had a spare 10/22 mag in my glovebox and some ammo.

My hunting buddy used that stuff at least once LOL.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Last time I went to the range, I forgot to throw a box of .22 ammo in the bag. There was one pistol that I hadn't shot yet that I brought the pistol, mags and ammo but forget to get it out and shoot it while I was there. So, yeah, the memory ain't what she used to be...

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I don't have all that many guns, but I came up with an idea for my range trips.

Each of my guns has its own labeled range box, full of mags, ammo, loader(if needed), and log book. Yes, it may be a bit OCD,
    but it works for me.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I've been to a dozen or more each USPSA and IDPA shoots. I've forgotten : magazines (or brought ones for a different gun than I brought), holster (or different than for the gun I brought), wrong style belt, and the last IDPA shoot I brought ammo that wouldn't cycle the slide of my SA 5.25 - the same way it wouldn't cycle it at the state shoot !

Top Bottom