• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What is it with a-hole owners and aggressive dogs?

My 12yo daughter was chased by a 150lb dog tonight at church. Our neighbors 250' away across the yard have two dogs. They are not on any type of restraint, but they'll do one of two things: Sit in their yard and bark at us, or wander onto our property to harmlessly explore, and when they see an adult, will skulk away from us and act sheepish. So I never gave it a second thought because until tonight they did no harm and seemed to have a grasp of what was theirs and what was ours and where they belonged. Until tonight.

Im in the office with the rest of my family, and my daughter comes in totally out of breath. So much she cant talk. But we didn’t notice at first because we were all in conversations. Then we noticed her body language as she sat on the floor, head down. We asked her if she was OK, then she breaks down crying and trys to tell us what happened.

I hugged her and calmed her down, and then got the story. And my blood began to boil. She said she walked across the front of the church just chilling. She was walking toward the dog’s house, but still 250' from the property line. She got to the corner of the sanctuary and as she rounded the corner she saw one of the dogs WELL into our yard. It was closer to the church, than home, and about 200’ away from the property line, WAY away from his house. And he started barking at her. She turned and ran back the way she came, away from the dog and its house. It proceeded to chase her, literally nipping at her heels and barking as she ran. He finally broke it off after about 100’ of chase when the owner started yelling for it. (I didnt realize that last bit until later)

So I took her outside to get her story, and she showed me where she was. I was concerned she wandered too far, or too close and it chased her away from its territory. Nope. When I found out where the chase started, I immediately went in and reviewed the security footage without putting on the headphones. I was ticked. Oh, and I noticed that the two dogs were unusually absent when I took her outside. So obviously the owners had intervened.

I walked over to the neighbor and knocked on the door. Of course the dogs are inside barking up a storm. A nice 20 something lady answered the door and I explained what happened. She was kind and very apologetic. Said it would never happen again. I told her she needed them on a leash or behind a fence ALWAYS, because although they frequently wander onto our property harmlessly, this CANNOT happen again. I had “counted to 10” repeatedly across the yard to try to chill, and started out calm, but about lost my cool the more I talked about it. I never yelled but it was obvious I was VERY upset as my voice cracked repeatedly.

I walked back and went to save the video clip as “evidence” so it didn’t get deleted in the rollover. This time I put on the headphones and listened to it. It wasn’t just a chase like you would expect a playful dog, It was barking the whole way. Now I’m furious, and Papa Bear was in full swing. I realized this couldn’t wait until next time. We’ve got multiple youth groups and scouts all over the property every week. Next time the kid might not be so fast. (This girl needs to be in track. She runs like I used to when I was her age)

So I opened a RequestIndy ticket about it to be referred to animal control. So we’ll see what happens.

(edit: I'm on staff as the Trustee Chair, so this property is my responsibility. And it is also my duty to protect anyone here. Which is why I decided after talking to the neighbor I didnt have the option I first chose as "dad" to not do anything this time. )

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My gosh.......man, I am glad she is doing ok. It is easy for us all to tell her not to run, but man....instincts are instincts, even grown men sometimes have problems staying calm when something is coming after you. Just be thankful she didn't get hurt, which I know you are.

I was on a job today....been their a couple of weeks. It is way back off the road with like 5 houses on a 1 mile lane and some rough people live back in this place. First day on the job a big white dog started to chase me and I hauled butt indoors until the neighbor called the dog. Well today, his pit bull decided he was gonna have a go at me. The wife ran inside, but I stood my ground with a 20 oz claw hammer in my hand......I would have hated to kill that dog, but I guarantee you I was not running today. If that thing would not have turned and went home....I would have buried that claw in its head or it would have eaten me up.

I love animals....but some people are just so irresponsible.

Just curious........did she take a good shower last night or this morning? Just thinking maybe that dog smelled that bacon your wife was cooking and didnt recognize her as a child but instead as dinner, lol......I am just kidding, but that bacon smelled awesome!

I will send you an email in a minute, was another long day!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I wonder what ever happened to that dog. I heard it ran away but no one has ever seen it since the day is ran off.

Long story short years ago a dog chased after my dog to attack it. I had a Dane and the **** dog was a German shepherd so it had very little chance catching my long legged Dane. I tackled the dog with as much force as I could hoping it wouldn't get up. It lived, so I grabbed it by it's collar and dragged it to the owners house. When he came out I threw the dog at his feet. I explained to him that under no uncertain terms that if my dog got bite marks his dog would get bullet holes. He kept the dog on a lead after that.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I
    I wonder what ever happened to that dog. I heard it ran away but no one has ever seen it since the day is ran off.

Long story short years ago a dog chased after my dog to attack it. I had a Dane and the **** dog was a German shepherd so it had very little chance catching my long legged Dane. I tackled the dog with as much force as I could hoping it wouldn't get up. It lived, so I grabbed it by it's collar and dragged it to the owners house. When he came out I threw the dog at his feet. I explained to him that under no uncertain terms that if my dog got bite marks his dog would get bullet holes. He kept the dog on a lead after that.
    I like your style. We were at a cookout years ago, a neighborhood dog came over innocently at first but then jumped into a fray with someone else’s dog that was there, right beside where I was sitting. I just jumped up and manhandled them apart, slapping the uninvited guest around some. It was high tailing it out of there before I realized everyone was staring, thinking I was crazy to jump into a dog fight. Seemed like the thing to do to me, they were all about to run away. Except my wife, she just sat there and watched. Show ‘em who’s boss, but love ‘em too. That goes for the dogs as well.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    When we first moved in where we are now the neighbors had a chow mix that by all actions was chow. He ran the area (we're rural) and most people were afraid of him due to his chow tendencies. My wife considers me a dog whisperer of sorts so I was about the only person including the owners that was buddies with this dog.

I knew he would eventually "run off" and I was saddened when it became apparent that it had happened. Irresponsible people are bad enough but when it comes to getting a dog killed that really PISSES me off. I've always felt that dogs are better people than most people so it's tough when someone has to make that decision because an "owner" is a douche nozzle.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    She turned and ran back the way she came.

even my mild mannered min pin going to chase that. But at her weight and temperament the min pin would most
    Likely just get a quick pet on the head and be over it.

good fences make good neighbors

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A dog that bites me or mine on my property will be shot so fast the ATF will call to ask me to teach a special course at their range.

I've only had to shoot one, a pitbull that latched on to my arm while I was jogging then released and kept circling me. After lesser means failed to keep it from trying to attack again, I shot it in the chest with a .38. It sucks the dog has to pay for the stupidity of it's owners, but I'm not getting chewed on.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm obviously a dog person...but dogs (AND CATS) need to be leashed or penned up behind a fence. Where I live, that is the law. We love our pets and we keep them under our control so they don't end up getting shot, or run over, or biting anyone. Too many dog and cat owners are irresponsible dipsticks, and they are the ones that get the most upset when their pet has been captured and put down because of their lack of responsibility for their pets.

Top Bottom