Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    BG: Give me your money!
    Employee: Are you armed?
    BG: Uhhh, yeah, I guess.
    Employee: Okay then. We were told by HR not to resist an armed robber, so as long as you are armed, here is my money.
    BG: I want more! Picture a really big gun.
    Employee: Okay, I am imagining a Ruger 44, so here is my wallet, too.
    BG: Make sure you give a very vague description of me.
    Employee: Oh, don't worry, all I can think about is that big gun. This is the very reason why guns should be banned!

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Employee: Okay then. We were told by HR not to resist an armed robber, so as long as you are armed, here is my money.
    Employee: Oh, don't worry, all I can think about is that big gun. This is the very reason why guns should be banned!

Very Acurate summary there :yesway:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Legally, a person with a LTCH can carry wherever they want on IUPUI's campus; however, the school itself has a policy against firearms.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Spoken like a man who has had dealings with IU's HR dept. :D

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    IUPUI robbery

Armed robbery puts IUPUI on alert

On the news they said the guy rode up on his bike.
    Threatened the guy and pointed at his pocket.

I was sitting here thinking depending on how close he was, i mean cmon he was on a bike. Could pushed him over or something lol.

But 10$ and a wallet isn't worth a life i suppose

CC at iupui lol

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    IUPUI has a policy of creating victims. They would rather people give up their property or die etc... than stop and think that if people have a LTCH, they are already deemed responsible.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I didn't attend IUPUI, however, when I went to class I always wore my 9mm on my ankle. Always wore pants of course, but nobody knew that I know of. If they did, they didn't say anything to me about it.

You never know when it might come in handy and what people don't know can't hurt them.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Let me clarify. While there is no law prohibiting carrying firearms on campus (the prohibition against carrying on school ground does not include college and universities), institutions are at liberty to set their own policy in Indiana. When you violate the policy, you are then trespassing. Then they can get you legally for that. If you are a student, you may be expelled. If you are an employee, you may lose your job. (Of course, I'm not an attorney, and I'm not giving legal advice. Seek out a real lawyer.)

Now, my own views on carrying on campus has been affected by this very interesting opinion piece by Adam Winkler from the New York Times last month, called "The Guns of Academe." Amongst the facts it pointed out:

• The folks against guns on campus are wrong, because after Utah legalized guns on campus, gun violence did not rise on campus.
    • The folks for guns on campus are also wrong. Guns did not help prevent crime.

The most insightful paragraph is:

Yet gun rights proponents are redoubling their repeal efforts. They aren’t reacting to a wave of violence on campus. The true motivation is to remove the stigma attached to guns. Many in the gun rights movement believe there should be no gun-free zones and seek to make the public possession of firearms a matter of course. The protesters who last year carried guns into Starbucks shops and Tea Party rallies had the same goal. They weren’t expecting to defend themselves; they were aiming to build broader public acceptance of guns.

I'd recommend this article to everyone interested on this issue:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/opinion/15winkler.html>

Da Bing

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I would agree for the most part with bingley. Carry on campus by itself will not prevent crime. In all likelihood the same people that would defend themselves with a gun would defend themselves by any means they had. Giving a coward a gun does not make them capable of defending anything. Yet it is insidious that in America we are sometimes forced and a lot of the time coursed into being without a firearm.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    When you violate the policy, you are then trespassing.
    Da Bing

Welcome to INGO! I realize that what you are saying is common belief among people who are not well educated in law, and that is one of the good things about being on INGO.

A person must be asked to leave and does not leave:

IC 35-43-2-2
    "after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;"

"refuses to leave the real property of another person after having been asked to leave by the other person or that person's agent;"

"knowingly or intentionally enters the dwelling of another person without the person's consent;"

Because a business or college has a general rule of some type, does not mean that you are trespassing if you don't follow their rule. You are trespassing when you have been denied entry by the person or agent and enter anyway, when you refuse to leave when asked, or knowingly and intentionality enter their dwelling without their permission.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    That sounds familiar, Ralph, and I think you must be right on this. Perhaps I misremembered the procedures universities use to deal with such situations. But then it sounds like perhaps what the universities would do is that if they catch you with a gun, they could just ask you to leave and not come back again (i.e., you get expelled if you're a student, you lose your job if you're an employee). I doubt they would try to do this in every case, but they might hold that over your head to get you to stop carrying.

Some universities do have a policy permitting employees and students with a cause to carry, to carry. I don't know of a single case, but I'd think it's pretty rare. Your circumstances would have to be not just bad, but really bad. Most of this is probably about the beautiful game of covering your ass. Imagine if you mistake an innocent person for your stalker, drawing your gun to point at him/her. That would be enough to get people upset ("the school authorized him to carry firearms on campus!?") and to get bad publicity for the school. I want to say maybe the school could get sued, but since Ralph just corrected me, I hesitate.

Da Bing

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Anyone know if IUPUI is state owned or private?

ETA: Looks like IUPUI is state supported, so writing your representatives might be somewhat worthwhile, Although I highly doubt it

Last edited:
    Top Bottom