• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My grandfather is 80 years old, on oxygen for emphysema (insert anti-smoking ad here). He can't walk more than a dozen steps without wheezing and having to sit down for several minutes. It takes him 2 hours to get ready in the morning because he can't breathe well enough.

Today I had a friend who's 44 come over and help me move a couch. This same friend is always talking about how he needs to get serious about working out (for the past 5 years or so), but it's amazing how few times this talk has actually produced a workout.

So anyway, the couch was moved a total of about 50 yards -- out the garage, around the house, down a slope, and into a walkout basement. We had to stop halfway because he was out of breath. When we finally got it inside, he collapsed over it, his breathing sounding exactly like my grandfather's. I was thinking we were headed to the hospital next.

In the same 5 years that he's been talking about working out, I've gone from 245:

tom245.jpg

to 195 (lovely post-workout pic):

tom195.jpg

Yeah, it was rough, but it wasn't that rough, and I haven't worked as hard as I could have, if we're being totally honest here. So if my friend burned as many calories with a dumbbell in his hand as he does listening to Rush Limbaugh and *****ing about Democrats, he might be in better shape.

Anyway, I reiterated (as I do on a weekly basis) that he is welcome in my home gym any time he feels like showing up to work out. I fully expect his spot to remain empty, but I keep hoping he'll prove me wrong and show up tomorrow.

And this post is mostly to encourage anyone who needs it:

You are too old to not work out.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Congrats, way too many people ignore their own health and end up paying dearly for it. I cannot wrap my mind around the thought of letting myself get bigger and bigger and not doing anything about it. I'm 38 and I am in the best overall shape I have ever been. Too many forget, "You can NEVER out work a crappy diet."

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Congrats! I am on my way also -- from 256 to 190 (I'm on a plateau at 221 right now...). Not there yet but I will make it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Congrats on the weight loss!

I'm carrying around an extra ~20 lbs right now (I'm 6'6, so it's harder to notice; hence why I haven't done anything about it) and really need get into gear. I really don't want to lose 20 lbs, so I'll have to hit the weights when I finally get motivated.

If your friend can't move a damn couch 50 yards without collapsing over it, he has some serious issues. Keep hinting to him your home gym is always open.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I look at it this way...if you do sufficient work so that you burn a lot of extra calories, you can eat a bit of extra bacon. I mean, who wouldn't run a mile for an extra slice, eh?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good job Fletch. Keep at it.

I'm in pretty rough shape these days. Married life has all sorts of pitfalls. I gotta lose about 85# if im going to be happy with my body, but it's the heart health that really needs attention.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    At 74-yrs old, the extra equipment ...

... really comes in handy. Just for letting the DOD spray me with Agent Orange in 3 years in 'Nam, I have received, free, from the V.A : Diabetes equipment, a pace-maker / defibrillator, 250 laser tags in my retinas to re-attach them, a free lens-implant in one eye (which is now blind), 5 stents, the benefits of an aortic stenosis, rotting feet, and hearing-aids for the 60% loss of hearing in each ear. I began before the stent implantations, at 260 pounds. I took the "shock" route to lose 50 pounds (it was the reaction to implants and meds) and was at 190 for 90 days. My wife and kids told me to remember that they loved me, and I began right then to recover. I started walking. It really hurt. Push-ups hurt the most. I got strong enough to mow my lawn in less than a hour this summer. Doctor says I am free to shovel snow this winter, according to all my tests (but I'm not gonna.) I was fortunate to find the right people at the V.A. who really cared. They helped encourage me a lot. I have a bike, 300 pounds of free-weights (I only use 190 of that, so far) a 150-pound log-chain, and a stick-shift. I can hump a 35-pound ruck 2 miles w/o stopping, and can tie my own shoes (that is a real accomplishment to some old farts.) I can eat anything I want -- and SOME things I just do not eat. If I can do it, any young guy can do it. So DO it !

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i couldnt agree more with this post! i have a great uncle that is nearly 80 and still works in the same concrete manufacturing plant that he has since after ww2 and can keep up pretty well with me and im 25. he always say 'the day i stop being active is the day i decide to let my body waste away'.. some things take him longer, like his bi weekly 5 mile walks, but by God this man is still a machine and i respect him dearly for it among other things.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    When my son went off to Army BCT this past summer, I decided I needed to shed some pounds as I couldn't keep up with him in his work-outs. Yah, I was stronger as I have been lifting for the last 8 years, but he could out run and out "endurance" me. At age 44, I thought I was in decent shape, but dropped 30 pounds in 10 weeks and have kept it off since August. I went from 185 (I'm only 5'-10") to 155 and have more endurance than I ever had. I will never put that weight on again.

Unfortunately (tough for a Dad to admit) he can now totally kick my butt in everything, but I feel much better while he's doing it.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom