• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    Even the parts that look "ok" are done the same way as a total redo. Take the toggle, it looked good compared to the balance of the gun but to leave it the way it was would be the exact reverse of what we had. So clean it with cotton balls and Blue Wonder, wipe it off with cotton balls and denatured alcohol and go to town with the booger hooker just like we have been doing. Here is a pic of the pretreatment toggle.
    View attachment 288040
    With it all done and oiled it can go back together. A few parts still show patina under the blue but I am going to give them a week or so because it will tend to darken up some. Once again, these pics are with the flash on so if it is just slightly off it shows like a zit on your nose.

View attachment 288042
    View attachment 288043
    This is going to be a shooter and to me it looks much better than it has to for that role.

Bluing has a purpose besides adding color. In this redo I have not removed any metal or wood, no sanding or buffing. I have just put a protective coating over what was there.

From these pics I can tell the cross hatching on the take down and the mag release are going to dull from residue. A nylon brush and some Blue Wonder will clean that up later and I just add another wipe down of basic gun oil.

Since it was my own I rushed the process as given here and bypassed the waiting a couple days before reassembly and that is the reason for the delay. I will just take it back down later to clean the parts that need it. If it was needing to be blued over again I just do the same process.

I have used the Blue Wonder bluing in the past but it requires the heating of the metal before application. I switched to G96 because it does not require heating and in fact it makes a terrible mess if you try. This is as simple as I have gotten the process using the best components I have personally found. Good luck in your endeavors and it isn't that hard.
    I am usually the guy that’s throws up a little in my mouth when I see a collectible firearm that’s been “restored “ but I admit that looks nice. You did that pistol a solid and gave it a new life. Well done.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I wanted to revive the thread Mongo as I love talk all things Luger and I was curious how well it has shot for you if you've had the chance to take it out for a spin yet?
    It shoots great! The top of the mag is a little weak and won't hold more than 5 rounds before burping them back up but I have that fixed. I am also into High Standards and you have to be proficient in mag tuning to run them.

No problems with the firearms function at all but I do plan to install a new spring kit before it goes back into the 'ready to play with' pile.

For a 110yo piece of machinery, it is great. Thanks for asking.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am usually the guy that’s throws up a little in my mouth when I see a collectible firearm that’s been “restored “ but I admit that looks nice. You did that pistol a solid and gave it a new life. Well done.
    I didn't go all the way and restore the 'straw' but it is a good functional firearm that my son and son-in-law can fight over when I am gone.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    It shoots great! The top of the mag is a little weak and won't hold more than 5 rounds before burping them back up but I have that fixed. I am also into High Standards and you have to be proficient in mag tuning to run them.

No problems with the firearms function at all but I do plan to install a new spring kit before it goes back into the 'ready to play with' pile.

For a 110yo piece of machinery, it is great. Thanks for asking.
    You're welcome, I'm glad to hear it's functioning well and glad to hear the mag issue's been fixed. Don't forget that Mec Gar makes good Luger mags for plinking too. :D

Top Bottom