• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Don't usually rant much but I think I'm gonna stop reloading for a couple weeks.

This week alone I have had 2 stuck cases of .223, broken the decapping pin one of the times, and I pulled the rim off of a 6mm Remington case and now has my decapping pin stuck in it hopefully in tact. Yes all of my cases were lubed with Frankford Arsenal spray lube. I dont know what I did.

I've gone thousands of rounds without every having this happen and now this week it came back to bite me it seems. I cant fix this because I live in an apartment complex and my neighbor seems to hate me when I make noise. He called the manager because I was pulling bullets with a inertia puller. So I dont think he would really like me pounding away with a hammer on dies. So I am going to have to wait a couple weeks until I can get back to my hometown and knock these out.

Unless somebody in the downtown Indy area wants to let me borrow their shop for a bit or help me pull these things out. Sorry for the rant its been one of those days

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Not since . . . .

Not since spending 13 months in a small Asian country 1970-1971 with my stay paid for by the US Government.

Not when I think of a US soldier stationed in Afghanistan sleeping on the ground, wearing 45 pounds of field battle gear, eating cold MRE's, and having to help one of his buddies after their HumV has just hit an IED.

There are some days when I have some minor annoyances - but nothing I think of as a "bad" day.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Not since spending 13 months in a small Asian country 1970-1971 with my stay paid for by the US Government.

Not when I think of a US soldier stationed in Afghanistan sleeping on the ground, wearing 45 pounds of field battle gear, eating cold MRE's, and having to help one of his buddies after their HumV has just hit an IED.

There are some days when I have some minor annoyances - but nothing I think of as a "bad" day.

was there a recent US military draft that I was not told about?

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Back the decapper up as far as you can. Get a 1/4-20 tap and a #21 drill.
    Carefully drill the primer pocket though and tap the hole. Get a 1/4-20 grade 8 socket head cap screw a washer and a 1/4" drive socket that will fit the head of the case. Run the bolt though the washer then the socket and thread into the case. It will pull the case out of the die.
    2013-02-12_20-16-12_866.jpg

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Everyone can have a bad day, and sticking 2 cases in one week would certainly qualify. No disrespect to anyone, but everything is relative.

A stuck case is not cause for a workshop or hammer...a threaded stuck case remover tool, as described above or the commercial variant thereof, is all that's needed. If you insist on using a spray-on lubricant, you HAVE TO keep a stuck case remover on-hand...it's the price of admission for the convenience of the spray.

For my needs, carbide dies on pistol ammo and Imperial Sizing Die wax on ALL bottle-neck cases. Does it slow me down? That depends on if you count the time it takes to get cases unstuck from dies...cuz I never have to do that. ;)

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    For my needs, carbide dies on pistol ammo and Imperial Sizing Die wax on ALL bottle-neck cases. Does it slow me down? That depends on if you count the time it takes to get cases unstuck from dies...cuz I never have to do that. ;)

Never tried Imperial Sizing wax. I've heard about it allot. I currently use STP oil treatment on a stamp pad. I also have the spray but have had 3 stuck cases using it and 0 with the STP.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Back the decapper up as far as you can. Get a 1/4-20 tap and a #21 drill.
    Carefully drill the primer pocket though and tap the hole. Get a 1/4-20 grade 8 socket head cap screw a washer and a 1/4" drive socket that will fit the head of the case. Run the bolt though the washer then the socket and thread into the case. It will pull the case out of the die.
    2013-02-12_20-16-12_866.jpg

Thanks for that! I just might have to pick one of those up. Problem is that I ripped the rim off of it lol

Everyone can have a bad day, and sticking 2 cases in one week would certainly qualify. No disrespect to anyone, but everything is relative.

A stuck case is not cause for a workshop or hammer...a threaded stuck case remover tool, as described above or the commercial variant thereof, is all that's needed. If you insist on using a spray-on lubricant, you HAVE TO keep a stuck case remover on-hand...it's the price of admission for the convenience of the spray.

If this happens again I am going to pass on the spray lube and go with something else. This gets old pretty quick lol. I've never had a problem with my carbide pistol dies but these damn bottlenecked cases are killing me.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Thanks for that! I just might have to pick one of those up. Problem is that I ripped the rim off of it lol

If this happens again I am going to pass on the spray lube and go with something else. This gets old pretty quick lol. I've never had a problem with my carbide pistol dies but these damn bottlenecked cases are killing me.

You don't need the rim.
    I used a poor choice of words. The socket sets against the face of the die and the case has to fit inside the socket so it. As you tighten the screw it will pull the case out of the die into the socket. I still use the spray on larger cases like 30/06 and 270 but not on 223 anymore. When the spray runs out I won't be buying anymore. Good Luck.
    As a side note, with the STP I'll roll them quickly on the pad but after awhile just the film on my fingers is enough to lube the cases while running them through my fingers.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I sure do have my bad days with reloading. Just like the OP described. I use automated LNL-AP's with case and bullet feed. They require a certain amount of tweaking and messing with from time to time. That is one of the things that makes it fun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have never had a problem with the Frankford or Dillon lube. I noticed that if I do not wait long enough, the brass will act like it is going to stick, but never has. Ten minutes seems to always do the trick. I also rub my finger and thumb on the bottom of the cookie sheet I lube my cases on. I twist the cases a little between my fingers to make sure the lube is spread around as I am putting the case in the press. About every 10th case, I lightly lube a case neck with a "Q" tip. When I was loading 20 or so at a time, I used imperial wax and it worked good, but when I prep several hundred, the lanilon based lubes do the job.

Top Bottom