• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    No, but I have one chambered, so stay the hell back!

According to The Westerly Sun, the man–Jeffrey M. Osella–began shooting the corncobs at his neighbor’s home “after a yelling match.” Police indicate that Osella “used a potato gun,” which is “a PVC pipe that propels objects with a light accelerant, such as hair spray.” Once the potato–or in this case, the corncob–is loaded into the pipe, the accelerant “can be ignited by a grill lighter” and BOOM!–the object blasts out of the pipe.

Man Arrested For Shooting Corncobs At Neighbor's House With Homemade Gun - Breitbart

Not sure this isn't break room material, but break room said no firearms.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anyone know what velocities and range can be obtained by one of these high tech weapons

Depends on the kind. Monsanto seed produces a good all around plinking round for paper, but you really need to get into the lab at Lord's to see what your gun can do.

And note, every cob will shoot differently in your gun. Only buy cobs in small quantities until you know what works! :ingo:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've seen potato guns do enough damage to take them seriously, in a past life they may have almost penetrated the door of a fire engine to generate a retaliatory spraying down...it was a party...all seemed in good fun until the day later evaluation of actual and potential outcomes. Anything of sufficient weight moving fast enough to throw it a good distance can be bad for you.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Back in the 90's, we used a potato cannon for a demo at a 4H shooting sports class at the Izaak Walton range in Kokomo. We were lobbing potatoes a good 50 yards beyond the 100 yard backstop with just hair spray propellant. After the meeting was over and the kids had left, we used straight propane propellant as a test. We were cranking potatoes out to 200 yards. At that point, we stopped because we were worried that we were going to blow up the cannon.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    When I was about 20 my dad and younger brother and a friend built a pneumatic potato cannon. With a good potato and a good diaphragm we have shot them over the trees behind dads house. That wood line is 200 yards away. They're still going up when you lose sight of them over the trees sometimes. We've wondered if any made it to White river 350 yards away and a little downhill. We also put a 4" diameter dent in a corrugated metal shed 50 yards away too. I would consider it deadly, but I'm not willing to test the theory.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I personally put a potato through the wood top of a chest of drawers and through five additional drawers inside. We had golf balls penetrating steel 55 gallon drums too. I have no doubt you could kill a guy with an impact like that. They are lots of fun but be careful!

Top Bottom