• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I used to keep a meticulously packed and organized BOB for the family. I have zero bags packed right now. What I do have is everything laid out and organized in a single room full of gear that I could literally toss into bags and be gone in that 10 minutes time. Every time I did the whole BOB scenario, or GHB, or whatever cute acronym is the buzz word of the day emergency kit I could always see where it was great for "ABC" emergency, and flawed for "XYZ". If XYZ were to happen I'd be yanking stuff out of a bag and replacing it with other stuff. Especially after a recent outdoor trip I know exactly what it takes for me to live very comfortably outdoors for an extended time, but with a young family it's a completely different animal.

My wife and I were just talking about this recently as she had heard about the super volcano under Yellowstone and asked :"What would we do". I gave her my thoughts which seem to fall along these lines of wildfires and natural reasons to evac an area. If we ever have to leave, we're more than likely going to be going states away, not just an hour down the road. We'd be heading either East, or Southeast at least 12 hours away either direction. Lots of great logging roads in Maine that largely go unused with wonderful little ponds scattered throughout.

Priorities in terms of loading out a vehicle:
    1.) Wife & kids because we're a family. Wife knows to gather the kids and two extra full outfits of clothes, one that's somewhat nice & presentable, one that's tough & rugger, one normal. Then to focus on hygiene stuff like soap & toothpaste etc.
    2.) Dog, because he's family, he has keener senses even at 11 years old, and he's fresh food in the worst of cases.
    3.) Water filtration, backpacking filters, stainless containers (every family member has a pathfinder 32oz kit & cookwear), 5 gallon military water container or two, etc
    4.) Outdoor gear would be every family members military sleep system, tent, tarps, hammocks, and especially my collection of heavy wool blankets. Basically making sure the Canterbury 10C's are covered, but that the first 5C's are especially covered with depth. A warm secure good nights rest is a priority and keeps people from getting sick.
    5.) Food, backpacking types, canned foods, any additional empty space in a vehicle gets food dumped into it.
    6.) Additional fuel stored in jerry cans. I can top off one vehicle from zero, and have enough gas to completely refuel it on the road. I will not assume additional gas will be available at stations along the way if things are so bad we have to run.
    7.) Medical for boo-boo's and stuff. We have no prescriptions so we're very fortunate.
    8.) Comms would be portable radios with the ability to scan Ham frequencies just to listen in. I have a small book with repeater stations throughout the nation listed in it so it should save some time trying to find out news. I have several battery backups to recharge electrical equipment on the move.
    9.) Ammo can with metals, cash, and papers.
    10.) Fishing kits. I can fly fish and bait cast much better than I produce furry little creatures to eat and it keeps kids minds busy.
    11.) Lastly would probably be the "extra guns". My EDC is solid, my truck bag is solid, but if we have to run it'll be with two AR's, a couple bandoliers of loaded mags, a 22lr with a brick of ammo and maybe a longer range rifle. Might seem weird to have guns so low as a priority on a gun forum, but my gunfighting days are behind me, my wife isn't and never will be a gunfighter, and the kids are too little yet. We'll be armed enough to not appear as a soft target if we're even seen, but I don't have any illusions in my head that we'll turn full commando in the blink of an eye. If we're running for our lives, we're not going to the range, we're running.
    12.) Soon as we're mobile, update some other like minded people and tell only those in the circle of trust where we're going. This would include calling family members and trying to convince them to leave as well. I'm painfully aware of how deaf the ears are this news would be falling on so it's my last priority to motivate and save those who I hope I can. I won't jeopardize my families well being to do it though. People have made a lifetime of choices and those have consequences.

Where I struggle is vehicles. I have a 4x4 crew cab with a lockable bed cover, so we could all jam into that with a lot of gear. We also have a minivan where we could all jam into that. We could caravan into two vehicles, and literally fill both with supplies to last us months. If we divide the family we double the chances of survival if one vehicle gets attacked or disabled. If we put all our eggs in one basket/vehicle then darwins law may apply quicker and fuel goes from a fill up and a half in the field for one vehicle to half a refuel for two vehicles. Our range of escape is limited by our fuel range, so this debate gets answered by what type of emergency it is.

I used to be real big on the whole bug out concept, but for what it'd take for me to honestly think it's time to get out of dodge I would go into it assuming that we're never coming back. I have days now where I think about how much simpler life would be with a clean slate if the house and all the crap in it would just burn down so I know I'll have no issues walking away from it all.

Good discussion to think about, sorry I wrote a novel.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Go bags have thumb drives with documents and photos. hygiene basics and a change of clothes. If not already on us, wallets, phones and chargers, pistols and mags get dumped in. Her tablet and the home laptop get slid in go bags on the way out of the house. Dog kennel is always in the back of my SUV, so he goes in with his hunting bag which is in the garage. So, grab a pillow case and empty jewelery into it. Grab some long guns from safe and the ammo can in the garage. Add the dog food bin, the 2 emergency human food buckets from the basement & some water bottles from the garage. Jackets, hats and boots appropriate to weather. Maybe the canvas tent, wood stove and axe from the garage is time / situation warrants. All doable w/in 10 minutes from a dead sleep.
    Everything else I can replace or buy on the way.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Lucky me, a lot of the gear I'd grab is either the garage or in the 1st room off the garage, including the gun safe. The boy and I would grab the camping gear, a large rubbermaid tote full of canned goods and prep food that's on the floor of the pantry (should have been put away a long time ago, but I'm lazy), and all the necessaries (including paper and electronic docs and cash) out of the safe while the girls grabbed a go bag of clothes, toiletries, and meds for everyone. We have my SUV, my wife's Mazda and my daughter's Civic. I'm pretty sure I could come close to filling all 3 in the 10 minutes. Sadly, I'd have to leave the motorcycle since there aren't enough drivers. We could be on the road to anywhere PDQ.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My vehicle used to have everything I needed for just about anything I wanted or needed to do for a significant period of time. I no longer live that way and my current vehicle has . . . not much. This topic reminds me that I need to learn a balance and keep essentials in the vehicle only.

Given that, with what I have on my person all the time, plus the backpack I roll with me, I could leave and be okay. If I had 10 minutes, I'd get some clothing, spare boots, more water, and some food.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My vehicle used to have everything I needed for just about anything I wanted or needed to do for a significant period of time. I no longer live that way and my current vehicle has . . . not much. This topic reminds me that I need to learn a balance and keep essentials in the vehicle only.

Given that, with what I have on my person all the time, plus the backpack I roll with me, I could leave and be okay. If I had 10 minutes, I'd get some clothing, spare boots, more water, and some food.

don't let him fool you , folks. given only 10 minutes, he's either headed to my house or Gman's and won't really need to take much more than is in his pockets.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    10 mins until a wildfire?

Both the Jeep and the Truck (wife drives her Jeep). Both already have small "car bags". I'd grab my "daddy bag", that has another change of clothes for me and the kiddo, more water/food, and other random things (it is by the door). The Kid and a bag full of her stuff (toys, Kindle, charger, etc...). My laptop bag (laptop, various chargers, more random stuff). An extra couple cases of water from the garage. Probably just grab the entire small firesafe (I can lift it). The cat if we can find it. Turn the chickens loose. Wallet, phone, and keys as we run out the door.

My wife would probably be grabbing pictures and such until I dragged her from the house.

Stuff can be replaced.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My wife would probably be grabbing pictures and such until I dragged her from the house.

Stuff can be replaced.

We have close to 100 framed photos throughout the house. Nearly all of them have been scanned and are on thumb drives in each of the BOB's plus on my office PC. Stuff can be replaced and pictures can be reprinted.

Good winter project for your wife would be getting all the important photos scanned and saved (perhaps on the cloud too).

In each BOB a few special photos (wedding, kids, etc.) are printed and laminated. More for inspiration during what will likely be a miserable time.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Forest fires are far less likely than a train car derailing with killer poisonous chemicals pouring out all over....Imagine a chlorine gas cloud heading toward your addition....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Out of 30 threads. Only one person considered fuel for the road.
    How many people keep the tank full and have some reserve ready to load.
    I case of fire emergency. A very wet blanket to keep the fuel cool.

As for around the house survival. I keep a generator ready. I built a heavy duty extension cord with a male on both ends. I can plug one end into the generator and the other end into any outlet.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

As for around the house survival. I keep a generator ready. I built a heavy duty extension cord with a male on both ends. I can plug one end into the generator and the other end into any outlet.

That outlet will only handle the rating of the breaker. That is due to the wire size in the wall. Most likely a 14G Romex solid core. 15A and that is it. You will only back feed 1/2 of your breaker panel. This is OK for basic lighting but not lights/fridge/furnace blower etc.

There are other ways to do what you are trying to do. And always.....always ....always turn the main off in your panel. If you do not the power will feed back out the line to the pole.

We always keep the tanks at least half full. There is fuel in 5's at the ready. Plenty of it. Wet blanket in the fire situation is great idea but we are city dwellers so never gave that much thought.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

That outlet will only handle the rating of the breaker. That is due to the wire size in the wall. Most likely a 14G Romex solid core. 15A and theat is it. You will only back feed 1/2 of your breaker panel. This is OK for basic lighting but not lights/fridge/furnace blower etc.

There are other ways to do what you are trying to do. And always.....always ....always turn the main off in your panel. If you do not the power will feed back out the line to the pole.

We always keep the tanks at least half full. There is fuel in 5's at the ready. Plenty of it. Wet blanket in the fire situation is great idea but we are city dwellers so never gave that much thought.

That is a very good way to burn your house down, PLEASE rethink this.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is rare that either vehicle has less than 3/4 tank when parked. Gives me a range of about 400 +/- miles. I have family 5, 10, 30, and 50 miles away. Also a couple of states away, if it comes to that.

Besides, this is a wildfire we are talking about. Not exactly something that sneaks up on you. If the county next to you is burning, start packing.

Though, it seems pretty regular for folks to sit on their deck and watch the fire approach. Then act surprised when they can't get out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Also a good way to kill someone working on the line. You are supposed to disconnect your service from the main if using a generator.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Beer...

I have three members, one in Purdue (I didn't choose it).. lol.
    My f150 can haul family, two dogs, two rifles, my M11A1, couple cans of ammo, two fuel cans, water two cases of mre, my medic supplies that has sharp things, quick clot, 4 by, gauze, splints, curlex, etc.. sleeping bags, blankets.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

That's a god way to electrocute a poor lineman while he is trying to restore your power. Having a generator connected to the house is a fine thing but do it to code man. Use an isolation transformer so you don't kill someone.

Top Bottom