You have a plan but how are you going to get there....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The neighbor's house explodes?

Earthquake?

Forest fire?

Tornado?

Train wreck with chemical discharge.

Although I couldn't completely discount the neighbor's house exploding, and we do live near a RR track road-crossing (and it's a long straight run, so those trains are moving fast), I figure that a house fire or a tornado is probably our most likely emergency. And, to be honest, I still don't have a dedicated bug-out bag. I do have several totes of regularly used camping gear, including backpacks with ultra-light gear and cold weather bags. But, I'd have to waste a lot of time going through stuff to make sure I had what we need. I really do need to get a couple of go-bags together for my wife and I. It's a big hole in our preps, I admit.

Zombies are real. My area would be rife with them 5 to 7 days after SHTF for real.
    No power. No water. No natural gas. No fuel at the pump (no power) and the Zombies would be out in strength.

I worry about that too, and I think it's one of the most under-considered SHTF problems. I've just got this feeling that the cold, hungry hordes will find a way to zero in on well-equipped homes. It's one thing to think about defending against the evil thugs, but I think a lot more of us could be undone by the helpless ones. I don't think I have it in me to turn away someone with hungry little kids. Even just writing that, I know I couldn't.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of armored vehicles with tracks vs. tires?

Tracks are a giant PITA, and if you throw track, you are stuck. You can change a tire alone, you need a support team to put track back on.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I am saving my pennies for one of these. Should be able to afford it in about 150 years. :D

m113_l1.jpg

Would this thing ford a body of water the size of White River? (Sorry, being lazy. I could go find the answer myself but I find this topic interesting).

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Would this thing ford a body of water the size of White River? (Sorry, being lazy. I could go find the answer myself but I find this topic interesting).

My understanding is that the M113's are amphibious to some degree. A river shouldn't be a problem for them.

Edit: Has limited amphibious abilities. Unfortunately, its limited freeboard (distance from the water line to the roof) of 14 inches precluded use in amphibious operations. But the M113 could cross rivers with slow currents, relying on its hydraulically tensioned tracks for propulsion.

I was straight leg infantry so never got to use the APC's. Blackhawks, Chinooks and walking was our thing.

5586027859_e346119805_z.jpg

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Train wreck with chemical discharge.

This. A few years ago I was on my way to the base one morning, driving down the 1604 loop around San Antonio, when I started smelling chlorine gas. I flipped on the radio to find there was a train derailment a few miles south. I turnred around, went home, called the office to tell them I would not be in, and loaded the horse into the trailer and the kitties into carriers. Ultimately I did not have to evac, but the smell of chlorine was distinct, and scary.
    It killed three people, one in the derailment and two in a house nearby. The only reason there weren't more dead was because it was well south of the city in a rural area.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...ago-Chlorine-gas-from-train-crash-5585947.php

Holy cow, that was in 2004, more than a few years ago. Time flies.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This. A few years ago I was on my way to the base one morning, driving down the 1604 loop around San Antonio, when I started smelling chlorine gas. I flipped on the radio to find there was a train derailment a few miles south. I turnred around, went home, called the office to tell them I would not be in, and loaded the horse into the trailer and the kitties into carriers. Ultimately I did not have to evac, but the smell of chlorine was distinct, and scary.
    It killed three people, one in the derailment and two in a house nearby. The only reason there weren't more dead was because it was well south of the city in a rural area.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...ago-Chlorine-gas-from-train-crash-5585947.php

Holy cow, that was in 2004, more than a few years ago. Time flies.

1972 Louisville Chlorine Spill ? Poydras Review

From Disaster Research Center, Aug 1972:
    At approximately 5:15 a.m. on March 19, 1972, a southbound tow of nine barges hit the head of Shippingport Island in the Ohio River, an area just north of the heart: of Louisville, Kentucky. Upon ramming the island, four of the nine barges broke loose and drifted downstream on the north side of Shippingport Island through an area known as the Falls of the Ohio. [One] barge was immediately recovered; a second barge with a cargo of chrome ore was lost and presumed sunk; a third barge laden with sulfuric acid came to rest next to a hydroelectric plant making up part of McAlpine Dam and wag retrieved some days later. The fourth barge, and the one of concern in this study, carrying 640 tons of liquid chlorine in four pressurized cylinders, lodged partly submerged in the second of four tainter gates in the McAlpine Dam.

We had the same thing happen in 1972 with a barge...We had to evacuate....The barge was literally a mile as the crow flies from our house...Had time to get the rabbits and head to Papaw's house while they sorted things out....I was six years old and my brother an infant.....

An-evacuation-center-set-up-outside-the-city-of-louisville-to-house-those-fleeing-a-potential-disaster-a-liquid-chlorine-barge-threatened-to-spill-enough-poison-gas-to-devastate-much-of-the-city-june-1972_7651256508_o.jpg

A_LIQUID_CHLORINE_BARGE%2C_AFTER_BREAKING_LOOSE_FROM_ITS_TUG_BECAME_LODGED_AGAINST_THE_MCALPINE_DAM_ON_THE_OHIO_RIVER..._-_NARA_-_543978.jpg

National+Guard
    bud-herling-a-portland-evacuee-closes-his-restaurant-a-liquid-chlorine-dhjdg2.jpg

Downtown Louisville during the evacuation.....

7651319704_58088bc43c_b.jpg

Closed+store+sign

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Yes M113s float and can ford a body of water / there not very fast in the water // the hull i thick aluminum - so kind of an armoured beer can

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, 113's float...most of the time. They are not tanks, I was in (real) armor. I tuned one into a pallet with scattered bits spread around in the desert with a 105mm HEP round. Tanks can fjord rivers with the aid of snorkel gear but they do not float.

Top Bottom