• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So these liberal butt heads are not allowing a simple pocket knife......:dunno:

Correct, liberal butt heads can not be trusted with sharp objects. They are a danger to themselves and others...in fact they should not be allowed on campus. But then I suppose if that were enforced almost no one would be left to 'teach'.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I read it as allowing concealed carry, but it is done in a mildly tortuous way.... purposely, or by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. It almost sounds like it is ok to carry a firearm but not a pocket knife, assuming that you have a license.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Apparently this university doesn't teach law, or even effective writing skills. I think I would find a different school.

LSUFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Bloomington
    As a retired college administrator, I can affirm that such statements are written by committees and are designed to cover a wide range of situations. Some thoughts:

1) the second half (with all of the objects) the emphasis is/should be really on the word 'weapons'. Students carry arrows, swords, etc regularly around campuses because they could be using them in an archery or martial arts class. I have carried a knife daily for most of my life; most recently a Benchmade 707 or a Case knife.
    -However, when such items are used as weapons or to threaten others in the college community, they become problematic. Years ago, I was taking with a campus police officer about how to approach a particularly troubled student who was threatening students and staff in a number of ways. While with the officer, the student walked up and thrust a pair of plastic nun chucks in my face and yelled 'are these threatening?' My response was that it depended on how the recipient of his actions viewed the action. It took a while, but the individual was ultimately sent back home to Great Britain...for clear reasons. (I learned later that he had been beaten to death with a pipe in a London subway...sometimes there are bigger threats.)
    -Another instance, a student had a 6+" hunting knife hung in a sheath from the corner of his bed. His roommate came to me concerned about his safety since the guy was talking it out and brandishing it...not necessarily threateningly. So I talked with him, helped his understand the concerns which had been raised and the impact on his roommate and the community. He agreed to put it away and take it home on his next trip.

2) On college campuses, there are with drugs and with them...often weapons/firearms. Some are in plain sight when the officer confronts suspect or there might be a warrant to search the individuals car/etc. The conduct article is written broadly in order to be used in the conduct case...drugs and weapons do not enhance the educational experience of the college and community.

3) But as someone indicated, concealed means concealed...If we don't know that it is there, we do not have a conduct case. As an employee, my employment forbade me to carry on campus. And I honored that. When i go into a local business or a gunshop/ gunshow, there seem to always be requirements that I not bring a loaded gun OR not unholster my handgun OR not carry at all. Or that I not bring a knife into a concert venue. I don't hear folks troubled by those restrictions. Earlier this year, I was on campus and observed a campus employee open carrying while riding his Harley. He parked, put his handgun/holster/etc in his saddlebags, and went into his workplace. Huh?

4) Another trouble student already had a MAC10 confiscated by campus authorities. Yet, as I tried to talk with him, he indicated he could always get another firearm and come back to my office. I have always made sure that I have two doors in the offices in which i work. Was I glad that he was unarmed? Yes. But there is always due process in these matters.

5) I lost a student who killed himself in his dorm with a shotgun. i know that he could have used a table knife or his belt, but a shooting on a floor of 50 or so is especially traumatic for the liberal buttheads.

6) Churchmouse, you know my taste in knives. And my college employment makes for a strange contradiction in some people's minds.

In short, those types of rules and regulations, are not too dissimilar to rules about carrying into a government/court building, big box store, concert/gunshow/shop, etc. If they ask you not to carry...either comply with their request, don't go in at all, or ignore the request. If the latter, fallout could vary widely...you could be asked to leave or ...

I hope this makes sense from a liberal buttheads perspective. And an INGO member. Thanks for staying with me.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The passage below is from the code of conduct/students rights/responsibilities from a University in this state. I cut and pasted it below. Does it mean that a student with a LTCH could carry on campus within the rules?
    -snip-

Though it appears that you can carry on campus with a LTCH, I'd still just carry concealed and not say a word to anybody about it.
    Discretion is the better form of valor they say.

From personal experience, I went to a local university in Indy some years back for 2-3 years to finish my degree taking night classes.
    They had a policy of no weapons, but I simply carried a Glock 29 10mm in my book bag, never mentioned it to anybody and never let that book bag leave my side.
    Never had a problem.

jaybus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Kind of reads that way.
    So these liberal butt heads are not allowing a simple pocket knife......:dunno:

Can you believe it? My shop teacher in 8th grade gave 1 swat to any boy who forgot to bring his pocket knife to class more than once. The first time, he just yelled at you in front of the other students. We have gone from absolutely required to absolutely banned.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Can you believe it? My shop teacher in 8th grade gave 1 swat to any boy who forgot to bring his pocket knife to class more than once. The first time, he just yelled at you in front of the other students. We have gone from absolutely required to absolutely banned.

Your 8th grade shop teacher was likely trying to raise boys into men.

The current ideology is that boys must be kept from "degenerating" into men, because men are the worst thing. Under current guidelines, the best case scenario for a boy is genital mutilation surgeries coupled with a dress and bottles and bottles of pills (hormone suppressants, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, speed, etc).

I miss America.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A University that is only allowing Law Enforcement to carry on campus should be able to say that in its policy. The way the policy read and the way they interpret it is very disappointing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not my shop teachers. Both my metal and wood shop teachers were gun totin, red blooded, ass kicking Americans.

My metal shop teacher let me (helped me) cast a set of aluminum nunchaku in the 8th grade. Those things were heavy. Some of the other guys made some impressively huge(albeit crude) bowie knives. When I was in high school, the only kids who got in trouble over knives did so because of doing bad things with them, not because they had them or used them to just cut stuff.

Top Bottom