You mean context and internet experts are really a thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Now Mike, you know the internet would simply break down from lack of use if the least knowledgeable and least skilled were no longer able to voice their opinions in direct contradiction of the most skilled and most knowledgeable......;)

Years of study and thousands of hours of hard work developing a skill set is clearly no match for preconceived notions and superstition based on hearsay and emotion.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have taken a decent amount of training and tactics class over the past few years..... I always leave with lots more knowledge then before the class, but normally a feeling that I am inadequately prepared for an encounter.

It takes a long time to be a master in anything.... and most training courses I have taken just show how much further I really have to go.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It is all a journey that does not end. Who has their skills honed to the point that they can stop and rest. We can all get faster and more accurate. That is the easy stuff.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good read, and good reminder.

I'll chime in on the scan. I trained, I had it drilled in to me, I incorporated it into my practice routine. I didn't execute it when the time came for realsies. It didn't cost me anything that time, but honest assessment of my performance showed I didn't do that part, and I know it could cost me next time.

Whenever we get tested, even if that test doesn't even involve a gun coming out of the holster, an honest self-review can help break that DK-hard to spell effect. It can validate what we know, and point out where we need to get better. How was my situational awareness? My instincts and listening to them? Did I hit a denial wall? How's my non-gun game if I need to fight? Did I know where cover was? Etc. Etc. There's always a new piece of the puzzle to work on.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Excellent read and hard reality check.

"I didn't know what I didn't know." This statement was made by me during my Rangemaster student introduction. Holds true to this day... Even though I've learned more, I still don't know what I don't know... There's always a new piece to add to the puzzle.

Top Bottom