• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I remember on my 18th birthday, I was at work and my boss starts joking with me, telling me about how now that I'm 18 I'm a certified adult and can do just about anything I please: vote, join the military, kill and die for my country, but don't even think about walking into a liquor store and trying to buy alcohol.

Not really related, just a funny memory that popped back into my head.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I remember on my 18th birthday, I was at work and my boss starts joking with me, telling me about how now that I'm 18 I'm a certified adult and can do just about anything I please: vote, join the military, kill and die for my country, but don't even think about walking into a liquor store and trying to buy alcohol.

Not really related, just a funny memory that popped back into my head.

I worked from 12 on. At 18, I was a large business manager wearing a tie. Getting served at the local liquor store on the way home. :n00b:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    18? By the time I was 18 I already had 10 years of working experience under my belt.

I started mowing grass and shoveling snow when I was 8. Picked up a paper route after that. Started helping my buddy run a snow blower and shovel snow off roofs during heavy winters as we got older.

I had my first payroll job at 14 and never worked fewer than two jobs at a time from that point on all the way up until earlier this year when I finally dropped my side gig as a hockey referee because I got married in the fall and moved about an hour away from the nearest rink. But I expect that to be temporary and will probably go back to it next year.

Heck, I even worked two jobs during college while going to school full time. And I managed to fit in plenty of time for partying.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    18? By the time I was 18 I already had 10 years of working experience under my belt.

I started mowing grass and shoveling snow when I was 8. Picked up a paper route after that. Started helping my buddy run a snow blower and shovel snow off roofs during heavy winters as we got older.

I had my first payroll job at 14 and never worked fewer than two jobs at a time from that point on all the way up until earlier this year when I finally dropped my side gig as a hockey referee because I got married in the fall and moved about an hour away from the nearest rink. But I expect that to be temporary and will probably go back to it next year.

Heck, I even worked two jobs during college while going to school full time. And I managed to fit in plenty of time for partying.

Growing up ag you pretty much worked as soon as you could walk.;)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I had a paper route at 12. By 14 I was spending most of my summer detassling corn,stacking hay,or at my grandfathers feeding and cleaning up after pigs(about 50-100),cows(around 20-30),chickens,and horses(12 +-). In high school I worked fast food to earn my own money to buy things I wanted and to buy my first car. I paid cash for a used 1969 mustang :) and felt like a king, until my brother borrowed it to take a girl out on a date and totalled it.

Last edited:

miketx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2023
    Texas
    I started working at 13 in a Kress department store in Texas blowing up helium balloons. I came back from lunch one day and caught the freak working with me feeling up one of the mannequins. Weird.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My first ”job” was mowing the neighbors’ yards. Not sure how old I was but it was way before 18. Threw The Jackson Sun for a few years, worked at a gas station, then a furniture reupholsterer, then college. I worked through college.

Mom and dad taught me if I wanted more than the basics I had to go work for it…and I believed them.

I remember in high school getting part time jobs was a competitive endeavor. It was a job just getting a job as a minor.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Growing up ag you pretty much worked as soon as you could walk.;)

Before I could even walk, my daddy had me huntin' buffalo on the lone prairie !

i-LXDJGk4-M.jpg

(that really is me !)

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I detasseled corn the summers when I was 13 and 14. By the time I was 15 I was working at a video rental store.

The summer between my Junior and Senior years I worked 3 jobs at 3 different restaurants, probably 50 hours a week. But I had a car buying habit and mom and dad were not going to fund it. Besides, when I got it trouble they could never take my car keys, they were mine.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Started in single digit years weeding gardens. Mowed yards later and made some pretty good money doing it. Baled hay, spent way too many hours on a 4020 tractor, cut and delivered firewood, had a job at druthers restaurant, cleared brush for people. The great part about the outdoor jobs was that I was, well, outdoors and I found a lot a great places to hunt doing them.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Started in single digit years weeding gardens. Mowed yards later and made some pretty good money doing it. Baled hay, spent way too many hours on a 4020 tractor, cut and delivered firewood, had a job at druthers restaurant, cleared brush for people. The great part about the outdoor jobs was that I was, well, outdoors and I found a lot a great places to hunt doing them.
    Point of order! You CAN'T spend too many hours on a John Deere 4020.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think it's important to have crappy jobs. My oldest son worked at Pizza Hut, was a pool monitor, and was an overnight stocker at Walmart. My youngest son was a dish washer for a food service contractor... and an overnight stocker at Walmart.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Point taken. I humbly retract ”too many” and replace it with “a lot”. I will not edit my error so that others may learn from my mistake.
    A John Deere B or a Farmall H? Those you could spend too many hours on!

Even sitting halfway turned around in the seat running a big round baler the JD 4000 in my case (a 4020 with a 4010 transmission) you were never hurting when you got off of it. Then again, I was a lot younger in those days.

Top Bottom