• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    So, here's my confession. Yesterday I decided to take my Colt Combat Elite out for a little fun time. After about 100 rnds of flawless fun, I come home, set up my cleaning table. Now, mind ya this is the first time I've fired and cleaned this specific gun. So I depresses the recoil spring plug, twist the barrel bushing, and yup, it happend, plug to the cheek, spring flying across the room, curse words flying, bouncing off walls! The bad part is , YES, I have the tool to do this properly and safely! After an hour of finding parts, my 1911 is back in working condition. I'm not sure where the hulk found this spring at , but geez O peez it was under some pressure! Just wanted to share my experience with some of the newer 1911 people, as I am a newbie also. They are a blast to shoot and beautiful to look at. But like Ralphy's Red Rider BB gun, "You can poke your eye out with that thing!"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My son has a scare the very size of the hole in the spring plug for a one piece 1911 guide rod. Just by his eye. And yes, we have more than a few tools specific to this task.....:):

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    My son has a scare the very size of the hole in the spring plug for a one piece 1911 guide rod. Just by his eye. And yes, we have more than a few tools specific to this task.....:):
    I'm not sure what I was thinking , but when the parts went flying, all I could think of then was trying to explain to Blythes why I need a new recoil spring and plug , while wearing a eye patch.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    LoL, I had my "moment" when cleaning my Kimber Super Carry for the first time. That was my first time disassembling a firearm like that but I got it done with eyes unhurt.

Safety glasses are not a bad idea during cleaning too.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Glad you weren't hurt. But next time, maybe stick it in a sand barrrel when you take it apart. I have heard that it cuts down on injuries!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The first time I disassembled my Springfield, I put a divot in the garage ceiling, just missing my face. For years I thought using a tool to disassemble a 1911 was silly. Then I bought the Remington which came with a standard 1911 bushing wrench and I'm hooked. I might have to try the tool linked about out. All 1911s should come with a barrel wrench to save people from damage to ceilings, eyes and knees (when looking to find the parts that just shot across the room). They cost pennies to make.

SeaCaptain49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Home
    The first time I disassembled my Springfield, I put a divot in the garage ceiling, just missing my face. For years I thought using a tool to disassemble a 1911 was silly. Then I bought the Remington which came with a standard 1911 bushing wrench and I'm hooked. I might have to try the tool linked about out. All 1911s should come with a barrel wrench to save people from damage to ceilings, eyes and knees (when looking to find the parts that just shot across the room). They cost pennies to make.

From personal experience, the 1911 ultra tool is 100x easier to use than a standard bushing wrench.

pellidon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I was lucky when I had a Springfield mini of some sort that had a spring so heavy it was near impossible to work the slide, let alone reassemble. I had a full size spring fly off so I always removed this under a towel, like a bottle of bubbly.

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy
    3" bull barrel I have had no such issues. LOL I have owned full sized 1911 with witch I have had to pick up parts all over the room! John Browning made the process so much more simple with his next masterpiece the Browning High Power!

Top Bottom