Young drivers... Can you fix your broken down car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Multiple answer... What can you fix? 25 or under please.

• Total voters

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I've had my son helping me almost every time I had an automotive project since he was pretty young. He helped me a lot when I was building my buggy. He's not really a car guy but I'm pretty sure some of it sunk in.

:yesway: And those are times that will stick with him forever! Some of the best times when I was kid was when I was working with my dad

Yup. Where do you think I started? :yesway:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Changing a damn tire should be a requirement on the DL test.:n00b:

I couldn't fix many things on the side of the road, but if I can get it back to my house, there aren't many things I couldn't figure out.

:yesway: And those are times that will stick with him forever! Some of the best times when I was kid was when I was working with my dad

Same here...Hell, if I have a major issue, my Dad still comes over to help me. Beer's on me!:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Changing a damn tire should be a requirement on the DL test.:n00b:

It is a requirement in France during the driving class prior to the DL test and that can be asked during the the test as well

I knew how to do it before I was taught in school, I used to change my mom's tire when I was younger and not yet old enough to drive.

During the test, they just say "Park the car right here and change the right front tire" while you are driving.
    And they see how you do it and how long you take and also where you park to do it safely and such.
    It's a new thing they added a few years ago, its why I still see drivers that need help to change their tire.

Some people dont even know how to take the spare tire out of the car.
    I even see people not knowing if they had a spare tire on their car or not, I had to show them where it was. :rolleyes:

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm 23. I built my first race car (a toyota supra) at 15 to 17. Took me a while to collect the funds to finish it.

I've changed wheel bearings, alternators, belts of all kinds, intercooler piping, and so on on the side of the road. I have my dad to thank for that. He's big into studebakers, which, given the age of them, sometimes broke on the say to shows and such. It was an incredibly valuble education on automobiles, and I'll never forget it.

That being said, I feel fortunate to have said knowledge and help people stranded whenever I can.

Oh, and new cars are almost all obd ii, so you can either get the adapter cable for a laptop, or buy a diagnostic scanner. It is true that a lot of codes are dealer specific, but all you'd need to do is call the dealer and they'll usually give you the number's meaning.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I work in autoparts and it's about a 20/20/60 mix between teens that need no help, those that ask for advice, and those 60% that come in and say...

"Hey man, there is, like, something up with my car. Like, it won't start when I try to make it start, you know? Can you fix it?"

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    When it comes to many problems with modern vehicles, I've found one of the best mechanics around is named "Google".

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I work in autoparts and it's about a 20/20/60 mix between teens that need no help, those that ask for advice, and those 60% that come in and say...

"Hey man, there is, like, something up with my car. Like, it won't start when I try to make it start, you know? Can you fix it?"

That's when you tell them that their muffler bearings are shot and you are out of them right now but the other auto parts store down the block has them on sale. :D

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I was a teenager, my dad made sure I knew how to:

Change a tire.
    Change my oil.
    How to get the car to start if the engine flooded.
    How to rebuild a carburator. ( alot of good that does me now. LOL)

One time my friend's tire blew on the interstate. There was 5 of us in the car. It was her dad's car. Everyone was freaking out. No cell phones in the 1980's. I didn't know what the big deal was, I thought everyone knew how to change a tire. Luckily, her dad had a spare, a jack and a tire iron in the trunk. You would have thought I had a PHd in mechanics 101. :D

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I can do a lot of things up to a pump. (Im 19) I have done a timing belt with help from my dad, and he is not terribly mechanically inclined either. I think part of the problem is newer cars just arent as easy to work on.

Most of the people I know that are my age fall into two categories: Those who were bought newer cars and have no clue how to do squat, and those who had to buy an older car and work on it as it broke down. I had to buy my first car ('86 Celica), and I had to work on it any time it needed repairs or maintenance. I bought a shop manual, and as things went wrong, I worked on them. When that car was totaled out, I bought a '91 Miata, and I learned a lot from that car. It did not have many problems, but it was very simple to work on, and there is a huge community to fall back on. I did the timing belt on it, water pump, new radiator, new thermostat, recharged the AC pump, repaired a leaky top, and tons of other things.

Now with my G35s, I havent really had problems, and I am not sure that I would really want to work on it if I did, but I know I could tackle basic problems if I had to. I also know that NOTHING on either of those cars is as simple as it was with my Miata or Celica. Even changing the damn oil is more complicated!

Edit:
    Oh, and my fiance knows nothing. She has been surprised every time I manage to replace her brakes, change her oil, swap a burned out bulb, or help her change a flat; none of which are at all complicated. She is also surprised that it does not cost me $150 to do the brakes, $50 to do the oil, or $30 to swap a bulb. I think if more people my age realized how much they are ripped off on basic things, they may be more interested in learning.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I am 33 and had to buy my first car. I did work part time along with school but did not really want to spend extra money on luxury stuff like new tires. I had so many flat tires in that little nissan sentra i could change one in less than 5 minutes using the factory jack. I have two step daughters that will be driving in the 6-7 years and I will make sure they do not leave the driveway without knowing the basics.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm 22 (23 in 2 Days) and I can and have changed tires, brakes (pads and rotors and drum brakes), master cylinder, taken apart throttle body, spark plugs and coil pack (all 8 of them), water pump, heater core,(involved ripping out the entire dash), gauge cluster to replace burnt out lights, new stereo, belts and hoses, added cold air intake system. Worked on 98' F150, 97' dakota, 04" focus, and 06' F150. Not a gear head or mechanic just grew up with a redneck dad on a farm in the south.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I think car companies do whatever they can to limit the amount of things a person can do to their car in the garage! Im 28 and done a lot of car work...oil change (not listed), brake pads (not listed), change a million flats, maybe change a belt, replace alternator (if easy to get to)...little things anyway. Oh, and duuhhh, I can cook bacon!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    early 30s, learned stuff with my dad, and if I can figure out how to get the busted part out, I can generally get a new one back in, but most things that require getting the car off the ground mean taking it in to the shop; have no jack stands or a decent jack and nowhere to put any of that until we own a house.

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    I'm 28 and can do almost everything thanks to my dad and a ton of research. Like tyler 34 said I have owned several Jeeps so I have had to learn.

I have had a couple cars in my 10 years as a licensed driver...

First car 86 Monte Carlo super sport
    87 S-10 Lowrider with all kinds of custom stuff
    92 Mazda MX-3
    92 S-10
    86 Jeep CJ-7
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    93 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    82 Jeep J-10
    00 Izuzu Trooper
    04 Silverado
    96 Caviler

Have these curently
    89 Jeep Comanche
    08 Ram 1500 Quad cab 5.7 Hemi 4x4
    Wife has 06 Jeep Liberty

My dad after we finished the lift on the comanche
    0629091648b.jpg

-Gary

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have towing on my insurance. Adds maybe 4 dollars a year. Other that changing a tire, lamps, and a battery thats about it for me.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    When it comes to many problems with modern vehicles, I've found one of the best mechanics around is named "Google".

Right on Suprtek, add youtube to the list. I have found very few repairs that I have needed to do that don't have something on youtube to help. I replaced a part in my A/C system that my mechanic wanted $600 to fix for $50 by following a youtube vid.

To the OP, I have a 20 yr old daughter that I taught how to do the basic things, change a tire, check the fluids, replace a fuse. Before she got her DL at 16, I made her show me how to do all of the above. Today, 4 years later she knows I will sometimes check the fluids to make sure she is taking care of the car.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Well did you teach him? :dunno:
    If you know how to do things you should teach others.

Anytime I have to change a tire for someone I try to show them how to do it at the same time, so that they know how to do it by themselves.

I learned most of what I know from his dad (my brother). We've worked on so many vehicles and I know he's been around while we were working on them. I believe he knows how he just acts like he doesn't so he won't have to do anything.

Top Bottom