• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    So the boy is ready to graduate to his first rim fire. Problem is he shoots left handed. It was tough enough trying to model good form using my wrong hand and eye. Now trying to find a nice 22- prefer bolt action in left hand. Ideas?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ruger makes the American Rimfire in a lefty. (I think) Great rifle too.

EDIT. Their catalog does not show one but I think I have seen them. They are also making a wood stocked rimfire now!

Savage MKII does make a lefty version. That would be a good gun for him.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    or he could do what I did... Shoot right handed rifles and adapt to a right hand world.

I also use a default right handed mouse with my left hand... As someone who works on other users' computers every day, its less maddening trying to remember to switch back and forth. (I actually used a left handed mouse I got for my birthday for an entire weekend of gaming. Got really good at using it. I was frustrated for a week at work trying to adapt back to right handed mice. :): I had to go back to my right handed mouse)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I right handed .22 bolt rifle should not be much of a concern since the spent casing ejection would be done without the face in the path of ejection. If it was a semi I would understand the concern.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Then a Browning BL22.. He will be able to give it to his kids. Super Quality, short lever throw, all steel receiver and money well spent.after you hold a Browning Lever in your hands, all other levers are just, ahhhhhhhh.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I agree...there is something sweet about lever guns. I guess i hadn't considered it. Ejected round should clear right arm, right? He has been practicing on my Marlin Model 60 and occasionally gets a hot shell on the arm. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice for his first gun not to bite back.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I right handed .22 bolt rifle should not be much of a concern since the spent casing ejection would be done without the face in the path of ejection. If it was a semi I would understand the concern.

If you were left handed you would understand better. A lefty shooting a right bolt action has to dismount the rifle each and every time to eject and chamber a round. Or take his right hand off the front of the stock to rack the bolt. Easily done shooting at a bench, but a PITA in any other position.
    As a lefty myself over decades and decades is becomes normal for a lefty to do that. It does not seem abnormal until you shoot a left handed rifle.
    That's why Lefty's tend to shoot pumps,levers and single shots more often than bolts. I stopped buying lefty bolts when we found or my son was right handed. Left handed firearms are not worth much to a right hander.

I would start him off with a single shot lever, a tube fed lever or a lefty bolt action.
    A hot casing down the shirt can easily turn a child or a new shooter off to the shooting sports.
    I just asked my son if his Browning 22 lever has ever dropped a case down his shirt, and he told me ,nope pop. He says it tosses emptys out at 2 to 3 o'clock from the muzzle.

Lol.. Getting burned is no big deal..... Unless it's you getting burned.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I don't know about Henrys, Rossie and other levers in 22. But I as a lefty have shot more than a few bricks from my sons Browning and I have never been burned from a empty. And I will say when he starts shooting 22 Pistols also beware lots of them will drop emptys down a Lefty's shirt. Try before you buy..

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I called Ruger early this year about their American .22 in lefty. They told me they had no plans to produce it. Savage offers it, with their Accu-trigger.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    or he could do what I did... Shoot right handed rifles and adapt to a right hand world.

I also use a default right handed mouse with my left hand... As someone who works on other users' computers every day, its less maddening trying to remember to switch back and forth. (I actually used a left handed mouse I got for my birthday for an entire weekend of gaming. Got really good at using it. I was frustrated for a week at work trying to adapt back to right handed mice. :): I had to go back to my right handed mouse)
    Really? Do many lefties use their left hand with the mouse?

Top Bottom