• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    When and if the SHTF the people we owe money to will still want to get paid wether it be your mortgage, auto, credit cards or utilities. Unless you can produce your own the utilities will always be there. Along with socking up on you SHTF supplies and stock, who is making an actual effort to pay off your other bills so that you do not owe anyone anything?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If a commitment is made to pay for a service, property, or item, it should be kept. I'm working to ensure I owe man nothing but love.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If SHTF will hold off for another 3 years, it'll be just be utilities for us. And if SHTF, utilities may not be an option anyway if there is a lot of S in TF.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Thank God the kids are grown!

Own home and vehicles and everything in them. I have not had a credit card or made any purchases other than with cash for nearly ten years now. I do have a debit card which suffices if I need to rent a car or buy an airline ticket but other than taxes and utilities no other debts. That is why I may not have all the toys I would like but I am free to enjoy the ones I have! :D

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Our only actual debt is our house. In SHTF, monthly payments in dollars when the economy is barter based won't matter. Once currency is re-established, we will make payments again.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If it is long term (3+ months), I'm not going to worry about my bills at that time. I highly doubt those pesky telephone operators are going to call when there is no electricity because no one can/will work.

Short term SHTF, still won't be worrying about paying bills until it blows over. I'll be having too many fish to fry.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    My wife and I have always lived like this. We usually pay car loans off in 1/2 the time if even that long. Currently have 2 but both should be gone at end of year. My job has moved me around every few years so this is the first time I have been able to get ahead on a house. Been here 5 years and if there is no S H TF I will have the house paid off in 10 years at the most. Credit cards get paid off monthly. Electric, internet, cell and phone are the monthlys and I would do away with the phone if cell service was better.

I know there are a lot of people out there living pay check to paycheck and I know prepping can take some money. I was basically wondering if there were other like minded people out there that want to get their debt eliminated as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

decal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Jamestown, Indiana
    As stated by others before, I agree that if you make take on a debt you should always pay it off. If it is a short term SHTF situation say less that 2 weeks then I can't see why after everything settles down I couldn't pay my debts. That doesn't mean that the payments might not be a bit behind for a while but I could see catching up. In a long term SHTF situation I'm thinking debts would be the least of the problems. If there is no electricity, phone, mail service, how is anyone going to contact you about the debts anyway? There would be bigger problems to worry about than debts. If the situation returns to normal and I can return to work, then I would try my hardest to catch up. SHTF situations have too many variables to say for certain what we would do. I think the important thing is to try to stick to your value system as much as possible given the situation. If we're talking WW3 with massive devistation, at that point survival is the only thing worth worrying about.

Just my :twocents:. Anxious to hear more of what others have to say.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    As stated by others before, I agree that if you make take on a debt you should always pay it off. If it is a short term SHTF situation say less that 2 weeks then I can't see why after everything settles down I couldn't pay my debts. That doesn't mean that the payments might not be a bit behind for a while but I could see catching up. In a long term SHTF situation I'm thinking debts would be the least of the problems. If there is no electricity, phone, mail service, how is anyone going to contact you about the debts anyway? There would be bigger problems to worry about than debts. If the situation returns to normal and I can return to work, then I would try my hardest to catch up. SHTF situations have too many variables to say for certain what we would do. I think the important thing is to try to stick to your value system as much as possible given the situation. If we're talking WW3 with massive devistation, at that point survival is the only thing worth worrying about.

Just my :twocents:. Anxious to hear more of what others have to say.

This^^^^

I don't owe anything except for house and utilities. I have a large family to feed but that's my biggest expense. If SHTF short term then we will do what we have to do and if we get behind on the house so be it we could get caught up soon enough. In long term SHTF survival is the only thing that matters at that point regardless of your beliefs about anything else.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    We're talking ****ting the Fan? Is anyone seriously going to be trying to collect on bills? Using what as currency?

Is the utility grid even going to be functioning at that point? Car loans and mortgages? I can't see all those companies continuing their day-to-day functions when everything breaks down...

"How was your morning commute, dear?"

"Oh fine, except the huge traffic pile ups at most of the major intersections, and the mobs looting all the supermarkets. Just another day at the office..."

:twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    When and if the SHTF the people we owe money to will still want to get paid wether it be your mortgage, auto, credit cards or utilities. Unless you can produce your own the utilities will always be there. Along with socking up on you SHTF supplies and stock, who is making an actual effort to pay off your other bills so that you do not owe anyone anything?

I am at zero debt.

I am working on an energy plan. Looking at Solar and Wind, but I honestly think that a wood gasification unit may be the best answer.

Power Pallets: Integrated Gasifier-Genset Skids « Gasifier Experimenters Kit

We're talking ****ting the Fan? Is anyone seriously going to be trying to collect on bills? Using what as currency?

Is the utility grid even going to be functioning at that point? Car loans and mortgages? I can't see all those companies continuing their day-to-day functions when everything breaks down...

"Oh fine, except the huge traffic pile ups at most of the major intersections, and the mobs looting all the supermarkets. Just another day at the office..."

Even in war zones there are mortgages to be paid, jobs to go to. Look at Egypt, Afghanistan, Iraq, Serbia, Croatia, Somalia. Even when currencies collapse there are still mortgages to be paid, jobs to go to. Look at Argentina, Chile, and the former USSR.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We got very serious 6 years ago.Our only current bills are utilities,insurance,TAXES,and cell phones.House is paid off,3 vehicles paid off,and all credit cards have been paid off in full.

We cut to the bone.No cable tv of any kind.No vacations.We stopped eating out accept on rare occasions(this was a big one,we ate out 3-4 times a week plus lunch daily). Stopped going to the movies.Stopped going to watch football at the bar(Colts made that one easy this year,last year was tough). Football at the bar was time away from children,and a tough one to get past my wife,but we managed.We also switched internet providers to century link DSL,at half the cost of our former Comcast service.Some small things added up quickly as well.No drinks at a gas station,gas stations are for gas only.

When our cell phone plan came up for renewal a few years ago we looked at all options.Our cell phone bill had been $130 or so per month.The solution actually was simple.A huge family plan.Us,my sister,mom,my daughter,brother all went in on an at&t plan.At 9 dollars per additional line it was pretty straight forward.The total bill is now $145(our share is $75). We did get a ton of minutes and in the last year and a half have never gone over on minutes and have 1000+ "roll over" minutes as a buffer currently.

My wife shops around for insurance for the house and vehicles every year.We have switched companies almost every year because of this.But each time we have switched we have saved money.Our current bill is less than half of what we paid 3 years ago with better coverage.

We stopped buying crap we did not need.Most things we purchase have to pass a needs test.
    1.Do we need it?
    2.How will we use it?
    3.How long until it needs replaced again?(this one has been useful as we repair or replace items such as Brake pads,tires,and batteries).

Everything has a budget.Utilities,gas,vehicle maintenance,insurance,groceries,and preps.

On the vehicle maintenance.We have one spare battery that will work in either the truck,land rover,or blazer. The truck and blazer both have some spare parts such as alternators,belts,oil filters etc.Tires are planned for every 40k miles.

Two years ago we did relax a little.We started taking vacations again.This was after the house was paid in full.We also go out on occasion now,and eat out a few times a month.

Prepping has also helped save a ton of money.It does so several ways.One there is never an extra trip to the store to buy say TP or milk.We buy in bulk and on sale most things we use and eat.

Most of this was done as our incomes fell greatly.In hind site had we not done this we would be in very big trouble right now.We have a small surplus of cash each month at this point,but if we still had a house payment we would probably be a few months behind if not out of our house.

I give full credit to changing over to a prep life style for maintaining our standard of living.We have had setbacks.Such as a transmission going out,but at this point we are happy with where we are and where we are going.
    Make a plan and stick to it.Eliminate things you do not need.A cup of coffe at a gas station every morning before work will cost you $255 dollars per year(at $1.00 per day x 5 days a week 51 weeks a year). Cut to the bone.It can be done.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have seen the same things in our budget that smokingman states since we began prepping at this level. We are buying in bulk now. Sams club rocks for this. I am helping the wife shop more now so impulse buy's are fewer especially if not for prepping. The granddaughter can cause a budget bust but who cares about that. She is my angel.
    We paid off all the credit cards a few years back and owe on 1 vehicle that will be paid off soon. All the fat has been trimmed except the cell bills. It is still a bit fat with all the toys but the kids pay their way on that. We will owe on the house for a good while. With the skills we have acquired as a family we do most all the maintenance and repairs on the houses and vehicles. Saves so much and the tools we have bought along the way to do this will be useful if things get nuts.
    If S does really HTF I do not think any agency's will be collecting much of anything. If it is a serious break down and the infrastructure collapses we are bugging out anyway. I will always pay my bills if possible. If the world tips over, sorry, I am going to survive.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    If shtf big time I can probably settle my mortage for matches, mre's and a fishing pole. other than my mortgage all the bills we have are for crap that won't be functional anyway (cell, cable, electricity)

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm 53 and debt free. I rent so I can walk away from it if need be. It's taken a long time but it's nice to have money in the bank and no debt.

Bob

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area

If it is long term (3+ months), I'm not going to worry about my bills at that time. I highly doubt those pesky telephone operators are going to call when there is no electricity because no one can/will work.

Short term SHTF, still won't be worrying about paying bills until it blows over. I'll be having too many fish to fry.

This post wasn't about paying the bills when it happens, it is about paying them now so you do not have any when it does happen. I am realistic enough to know that when/if something happens there will still be a record of what you owe and to whom. When everything get back to normal (or something close) those companies will still want that money paid to them and with interest and possible late fees. This is about getting the bills paid now so there is nothing to worry about later.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    who is making an actual effort to pay off your other bills so that you do not owe anyone anything?
    The only true freedom in this country is financial. Paying interest on borrowed money is not natural. I am not saying I have never done it, I just minimize doing so.

Have you read how a lot of retired people in parts of the country have been forced to sell because they can not afford the property taxes on their fixed incomes? Their little places in the country are now gems in suburbia worth 10x what they paid. Set up a trust fund to always cover your tax bill.

The other thing is, many preps can pay for themselves, like a 4wd truck with a snowplow.

Debt free is the only freedom you can give yourself.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom