Your favorite artists (singers/bands/actors) that you love, but HATE their politics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How many times has this happened to you? You love a song or band, then later find them making a public statement that really, really pisses you off?

Whose your favorite love/hate relationship like this?

Mellencamp comes to mind, here, locally, at least.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I personally don't care what their politics are, unless and until they use their concerts as a "captive audience" to get up on a soapbox. I'm paying good money to hear your music, not your opinions, so just STFU and sing!

Examples: I am a huge Billy Joel fan and I know he's a raging liberal, but it doesn't come out in his shows, so I figure live and let live. OTOH, Springsteen, Mellencamp and the Dixie Chicks are all on my permanent sh*t list because they can't keep their opinions to themselves while on stage. I have several of their albums, but won't be buying any more.

And in an ironic twist, I really like Ted Nugent's politics, but I can't stand his music...

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    matt damon

i like the jason borne character and think he plays it well... damon has been enjoyable to watch in several movies... but he is a Lefty Leninist through and through... ugh

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Politically, I think celebrities are the way they are because of their tax/social status and nothing more. If they were middle class citizens they would probably have a much different view of the world. I love John Travolta movies, but was soured when I found out he is into Scientology. I learned not to listen to celebrity politics.... or religious beliefs. It just gets my feathers ruffled about something I have no power over.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Pretty much all of them. Have you noticed have conservative actors don't seem to get movie offers once they speak out against the liberal Hollywood machine? Tom Selleck for instance. :dunno:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Fred Thompson, Clint Eastwood, Ben Affleck, Kelsey Grammer, Tom Selleck, Jim Caviezel, Mel Gibson. They don't fare too badly in general. Few actors churn out movie after movie. They either get comfortable, tired, or they make a flop somewhere.

But I agree with your general hypothesis.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    There are plenty of movies I will NOT see because of the actor/actress in it. In fact, it's becoming the norm and not the exception. I just can't support someone's livelyhood when some "line reader" tells me what to think.

I don't take political advise from my plumber or doctor.... why take it from an actor?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I personally don't care what their politics are, unless and until they use their concerts as a "captive audience" to get up on a soapbox. I'm paying good money to hear your music, not your opinions, so just STFU and sing!

Examples: I am a huge Billy Joel fan and I know he's a raging liberal, but it doesn't come out in his shows, so I figure live and let live. OTOH, Springsteen, Mellencamp and the Dixie Chicks are all on my permanent sh*t list because they can't keep their opinions to themselves while on stage. I have several of their albums, but won't be buying any more.

And in an ironic twist, I really like Ted Nugent's politics, but I can't stand his music...

I feel the same way :rockwoot:

Haans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Muncie
    Fred Thompson, Clint Eastwood, Ben Affleck, Kelsey Grammer, Tom Selleck, Jim Caviezel, Mel Gibson. They don't fare too badly in general. Few actors churn out movie after movie. They either get comfortable, tired, or they make a flop somewhere.

But I agree with your general hypothesis.

I have no idea where you got the idea Affleck was anything but a liberal. Back in 2000, he was quoted in support of Gore at some Gore-supporter party/rally in Flori-DUH.

Haans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Muncie
    Also, I like Green Day's music, and hate their raging anarcho-communist politics.

I love Billy Corgan, and one thing I liked was that he never said anything political...until the Obamanation won. And then he said he thought America "did the right thing." Sigh.

Top Bottom