Your favorite Survival/Post-apoc/Disaster movies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    With Commentary:

War of the Worlds, 1950's edition: The scene in Denver with the panicking public is rather prophetic.
    Damnation Alley. . .if for no other reason than the Landmaster.
    The Arrival: aliens causing Global Warming
    The Postman: this was one case where I felt the movie did better than the book
    The Day After Tomorrow: Good twist.
    Carriers: Short run film, but I thouht it was well under-rated. Someone Went in the parking lot and posted Alex Jones Flyers on all the cars.
    The Happening : Mother Nature has finally had enough of our crap.
    Battle Los Angeles : Even though I think an alien invasion would be a little more in their favor.
    Contagion: Possibly the most realistic movie of how a pandemic outbreak would play out. Watch the Food Distribution scene.
    World War Z: Running Zombies. . .'nuff said

Special Mentions-

The Crazies: Though the most difficult aspect of a real-life Zombie Apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited, I don't feel in the Romero-type zombification results. I don't believe in the re-animation of the dead, recently or otherwise. HOWEVER, The Crazies brings forth something I do believe is possible: the drug/virus-modification of the human mind to incite extreme rage, paranoia and sociopathy. We know that both the Soviets and our own gubmint did experiments on this very subject. The Crazies shows an excellent example of a "zombie-type" outbreak where external factors have removed the reasoning parts of the brain and turned people into homocidal killers because a drug or engineered virus was released.

The original Red Dawn - Soviet invasion of the US. 'nuff said.

The Day the War Began - An Australian take on the US' version of Red Dawn. Buncha Aussie kids taking on (IIRC) North Korean invaders.

Zombieland - Mainly because of the kid's list of rules of survival.

I'm leaving out a lot, but these are the highlights.

The Professor
    If you like that sort of premise, check out 28 Days Later. Falls apart some towards the end, but still a very good movie.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It's hard to find now but I like The Day After. I remember when that came out on network TV, it frightened the masses pretty good.

Warning Sign was pretty good as well. The Crazies & Contagion weren't bad.

I found The Day After on YouTube. Picture quality isn't good, but the movie runs without commercials.

It's a sad movie and illustrates there isn't much to do if you are directly nuked. But it's still useful for looking at mindsets both before and after a disaster. It sure makes you see the futility of any war that might not involve a clear agenda for the people.

Shadow Goose

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2015
    South
    Snow Piercer is the best movie that I have seen recently, and I was not expecting it to be that good. I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but one of my favorite movies is The Mist. IMO I think it does an excellent job of showing just how dangerous large groups of people can become once their Rainbows, unicorns, and sparkler shades are taken from them. Plus I have never seen a ending like that. (I don't want to spoil it for those who have not seen it)

Also, this is not a movie, but it is a damn good read/listen. Day by Day Armageddon J. L. Bourne. The majority of his decisions do not leave me screaming at the book/audiobook because they are so terrible.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Snow Piercer is the best movie that I have seen recently, and I was not expecting it to be that good. I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but one of my favorite movies is The Mist. IMO I think it does an excellent job of showing just how dangerous large groups of people can become once their Rainbows, unicorns, and sparkler shades are taken from them. Plus I have never seen a ending like that. (I don't want to spoil it for those who have not seen it)

Also, this is not a movie, but it is a damn good read/listen. Day by Day Armageddon J. L. Bourne. The majority of his decisions do not leave me screaming at the book/audiobook because they are so terrible.

Excellent. I forgot about The Mist. I'm gonna have to dig that one up for a watch again. Also a huge endorsement for Day By Day Armageddon series. I have them all in print, kindle and audiobook. It's too bad this isn't a movie. If I would have hit that powerball then it would have been, along with Lights Out. I know it's supposedly in the works, but it's been that way for a long time and I'm not hearing about any progress with it.

Since you're a DBDA fan, check out Mark Tufo and the Zombie Fallout series along with Indian Hill & The Book Of Riley. I've been a huge fan for years. Read one and you will be hooked.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    if no one has mentioned yet, I will. Just got done with The Martian. EXCELLENT movie in its own right and very much a movie about survival and using the grey matter to solve problems never seen before.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Lot of my favorites listed here although I read more than watch movies. I just recently got into the zombie/EMP/survival themed reads. The Day the War began and original Red Dawn are my personal favorites. The Martian and Remnants are both on my list to see as soon as they hit video. Close to 20 years since I have been to a theater.
    The previously mentioned Contagion series was great along with Ebola K. My favorite zombie/survival series has been Slow Burn by Bobby Adair who also wrote Ebola K.

Matt

Shadow Goose

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2015
    South
    Excellent. I forgot about The Mist. I'm gonna have to dig that one up for a watch again. Also a huge endorsement for Day By Day Armageddon series. I have them all in print, kindle and audiobook. It's too bad this isn't a movie. If I would have hit that powerball then it would have been, along with Lights Out. I know it's supposedly in the works, but it's been that way for a long time and I'm not hearing about any progress with it.

Since you're a DBDA fan, check out Mark Tufo and the Zombie Fallout series along with Indian Hill & The Book Of Riley. I've been a huge fan for years. Read one and you will be hooked.

Thanks! Yes the DBDA are extremely good (listened to them several times over) and I would love to see a movie of them as long as they did not screw it all up like they did with World War Z.

I have 1-5 of the Zombie Fallout audio books and really enjoy them also , but now I am going to check out Indiana Hill & The Book of Riley. Thanks for the recommendations because I really needed some new books.:yesway:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Road....seems a very real scenario.
    Survivor man's first series where Les shows you how to survive disasters is on YouTube.

Wanna binge watch "Alone" from the Discovery channel series it provides a helluva insight to the psychological aspects of surviving without anyone else available.

"Alone in the Wilderness " about Dick Perncke living in... Alaska I believe.

Castaway
    All is Lost (Robert Redford )

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    An early Peter Weir flick....Excellent acting and story line...

[video=youtube;XKvuUDBHipE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvuUDBHipE[/video]

Here is the opening credits...It really sets the tone for the film....No spoiler...Just lets you know right up front that "change is coming".....

[video=youtube;7tUD2ALC3Mw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUD2ALC3Mw[/video]

Last edited:

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    There are so many good books!!!

One second after
    Lights Out (not the Koppel one)
    The Matt Braken books those are awesome(Enemies trilogy)

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    The Day the War Began - An Australian take on the US' version of Red Dawn. Buncha Aussie kids taking on (IIRC) North Korean invaders.

Netflix (and the title shown in the movie) is Tomorrow When the War Began. Unless there's another movie about a bunch of Aussie teens fighting an invasion?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Am I the only one that is no longer entertained by these types of movies? I used to really enjoy them. Now that my eyes are open I think "wow, this isnt that far fetched. This could happen and its quite honestly depressing." to the point it is uncomfortable to watch and no longer entertaining.

From now on I prefer happy movies and obvious fiction. So James Bond movies are good, As are comedies and even depressing ones like The Fault In Our Stars, but Ones like Olympus Has Fallen or Sum of All Fears Just gets too uncomfortable sometimes.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Am I the only one that is no longer entertained by these types of movies? I used to really enjoy them. Now that my eyes are open I think "wow, this isnt that far fetched. This could happen and its quite honestly depressing." to the point it is uncomfortable to watch and no longer entertaining.

From now on I prefer happy movies and obvious fiction. So James Bond movies are good, As are comedies and even depressing ones like The Fault In Our Stars, but Ones like Olympus Has Fallen or Sum of All Fears Just gets too uncomfortable sometimes.

Some of them are more realistic and unsettling than others. I still enjoy the genre but I look at them much different than I did 15 years or so ago. Stay away from The Day After.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    The Last Survivors - High desert dwellers in Oregon fight to survive after 10 years w/o rain

This isn't my review, but seems to sum it up best:
    Given is a post-apocalypse situation, after all water disappeared from a large area. Some farm houses are still more or less intact, with a few sparse inhabitants who try to survive with limited resources and nearly defective equipment. Our main character is 17 year old Kendal, involuntary head of a household that consists of herself and her handicapped brother with ailing kidneys. At the other end of the spectrum we have a greedy water baron, who claims all of the (little) still available water, collects it underground in water tanks, and is supported by a small army that doesn't shy away from lethal violence. As a result, he makes it more and more difficult for everyone in the area to pump up the water they need for their survival.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Two season TV series from BBC called Survivors. About what happens after a virus wipes out most of mankind.

Wish they continued it. No big super heroes, just a group of people that find each other and what happens along the way.

Haven't watched it in a few years, maybe I should spool it up again to be sure it is as good as I remember.

Top Bottom