• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    List your favorite training(s) you've taken. And why.

Your favorite instructors. And why.

Links to the school would be a good thing to include as well.

For me:

---BSR Security Driving Instructor (5-day course). It dispelled myths about driving and instilled a lot of confidence in me: j-turns from passenger, rear-ramming from passenger, driving backwards at high speeds. LINK HERE. Don't see the 5-day Instructor course:dunno:

---Jim Cirillo's firearms course. Jim did a private course for a few of us years ago and it really instilled in me WHY we train with firearms and what is important about gunfighting and what is hogwash. Sadly, no link. :( RIP, Jim.

---Everything I've done at Tactical Response. For the same reason as Jim. Strip away all the worthless stuff and pour all of your energy in to what really matters. And train to 360 degree awareness. Tactical Response

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Before I worked for Tactical Response I was a student there. I had trained several other places, but the Mindset seemed lacking in other courses. Often it was just lip service or marketing junk. Tactical Response was the first school where I really felt like they were trying their best to make me a better fighter. It obviously had an impact on me as I eventually became vice president and then president of the company. To this day I still believe that Fighting Pistol is the best two day, live fire pistol class being taught.

SouthNarc's ECQC class was tough but rewarding. Good info and a nice holistic answer to the 0-3 foot gunfight problem. I would probably take it again, but I broke two fingers and left as one giant bruise. That class is not for people who aren't willing to put their bodies and their egos on the line. ShivWorks | Integrated Solutions for Personal Protection

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'll throw up another one for ECQC with Shivworks. I also left bruised, bloody, almost broken finger, very sore, emasculated, and feeling like crap. It took a couple weeks to get over it and throughout that time it slowly metastasized into an intense motivation to get better at all things related to shooting, fighting, surviving, protecting, etc. There aren't many places where you can pay $400 and get the information about yourself you will in ECQC. From where you are in relation to others and verbal skills for dealing with every day scenarios, to a glimpse into a system that can make you a better person in every aspect of being dangerous and robust. Quite literally life changing.

For a related reason, Shay's scenario classes (not saying this because he also posted in this thread). His classes, for me, weren't so much about seeing new material but were about getting to see what it felt like to be pushed completely into life or death full adrenaline dump. That happened to me 4 different times throughout the 2 days. Being able to experience that and walk away uninjured is absolutely invaluable for someone who doesn't find themselves in situations like that as part of their daily life (mil, leo, etc.). I can honestly say that I've been there, experienced it, and know how my body reacts, how my mind reacts, and how I process decisions. It will influence all of my future training in one way or another. I can't say for sure that everyone will have the same experience as me, but from other reviews it sounds like it is very likely and that my experience isn't uncommon.

I have to throw props out to Mike Swisher with SI as well. Great instructor who also ended up being a great friend. He's always well prepared for class, cares that the students understand the concepts, and goes out of his way. Very much "does it because he likes it" kind of guy. I'd recommend any class he's teaching.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I will also recommend Tactical Response, for the same reason Shay gave. Mindset. For them the root word of Gunfight is not gun, but rather, fight. Also, Southnarc, and again,for the same reasons given.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    The training I received in the Air Force was fantastic and served with a great group of men and women.

A few years ago, Rob Pincus, of I.C.E. Training and Outdoor Channel, and I were talking on the www.downrange.tv forum and were discussing "The Best Defense:Survival" on the Outdoor Channel. Rob was able to get me into his "Combat Focus Shooting Course" he was teaching in Southern Indiana. It was a two day course of drills and excercises that showed me how to balance speed and precision. Absolutely amazing course. :rockwoot:

Rob was also teaching the Combat Focus Carbine the next day. I wish I would have attended that course but would have required me to return home, get the AR-15 and ammo, and drive back for the next day. I had my boys that weekend and was not able to return. The students in the class for the rifle portion were on the first episode of SWAT TV. :ar15:

As an instructor, Rob Pincus was very clear in delivering his message and training. He concentrated on the capabilities of each student and pushed them to be able to complete the objective.

One point I learned in particular was to break myself of the habit of two shots to the chest and one to the head and concentrate on firing enough rounds to ensure the threat is nuetralized.

If you ever have the opportunity to take a Combat Focus Shooting class (http://www.icetraining.us/training), there is an instructor in Evansville, than I would highly recommend it.

My future plans are to hopefully train with Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith and be able to train at Thunder Ranch and Gunsite. We can all dream. :D

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've taken classes from several different schools and instructors. I don't think I can pick out a single best course. Each course or instructor had a different focus, a different way of going about things, a different way of explaining things, etc. I feel I took a little something different away from each class I've taken.

When people ask me to recommend a class, I recommend differnet classes based on their skill level, price point, area, and what they want to learn.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    My favorite instructors, in no particular order:

• John Farnam
    • Massad Ayoob
    • Jeff Cooper; or, "the Gunsite method"

All for the same reasons. Training is to the point and easy to use under stress. Each has a slightly different approach, which is a plus. Each has their own strong points, which enhances the others. Each approach can work, despite the differences.

I'd include Ray Chapman; but like Cooper, he no longer teaches in-person.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've taken classes from several different schools and instructors. I don't think I can pick out a single best course. Each course or instructor had a different focus, a different way of going about things, a different way of explaining things, etc. I feel I took a little something different away from each class I've taken.

When people ask me to recommend a class, I recommend differnet classes based on their skill level, price point, area, and what they want to learn.

Well said. :yesway:

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Some of my favorite training:

ECQC with Craig Douglas-- Hands down the most important class I've ever participated in. Craig is an amazing instructor with a mastery of both teaching and the intricacies of multi-disciplinary problem solving.
    ShivWorks | Integrated Solutions for Personal Protection

Ditch Medicine with Hugh Coffee-- Medical training is an oft overlooked part of personal preparedness. Hugh is a truly humble man who has been involved in field medicine far longer than it has been en vogue.

Tactical Response Immediate Action Medical -- This was one of the first open source 'tactical medicine' classes geared towards folks that carry guns. I've attended it, and co-taught it, with Doc K, Sherman House and Al Norman over the years.
    www.TacticalResponse.com

Tactical Defense Institute ECQ-- A very neat course covering things that are normally skirted over or simply not covered in most core pistol classes. No where near as intense as ECQC and covering a broader range of topics. This class was developed, primarily, by Greg Ellifritz.
    www.TDIohio.com

Yes, I've trained with a lot of other places [including w Awerbuck, Smith, Farnam, & Ayoob] and they all have good material to offer but these stand out to me.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Some of my favorite training:

Ditch Medicine with Hugh Coffee-- Medical training is an oft overlooked part of personal preparedness. Hugh is a truly humble man who has been involved in field medicine far longer than it has been en vogue.

Absolutely! I can't believe I left this one out. I guess I consider Uncle Hugh more of a friend than a trainer. I've got to get back on him about his new book. We had talked awhile back about his desire to update Ditch Medicine. He's so humble, he thinks he doesn't really have that much to offer. How wrong!

Walkersdlx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Evansville
    Well, the boyscouts.. I learned to how to use guns, trap, build fires, fishing, camping, cpr. First aid was a good one also. Over all i had lots of fun without knowing i was training for something.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Another vote for Tactical Response Fighting Pistol. The Mindset portion of the class is amazing and was actually life changing for myself.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    erin2nd
    Top Bottom