• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kimbercollector

Marksman
    Rating - 96.1%
    49   2   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    North East Indianapolis, IN
    Since millions of Americans are responsible gun owners and enthusiasts, I thought it'd be interesting to hear some people's stories and experiences concerning the first gun they ever fired/owned. I was around 7 when my dad took me out to shoot my great granddaddy's .22 Marlin. I still have it today, wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'd like to hear from the rest of the Indiana and hear about the assorted experiences and memories.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    First gun I ever purchased was a Marlin Model 60 back in the mid-80s as a young teenager. Still have it and it's still in excellent condition. Think I paid around $100 for it from mowing lawns and doing odd jobs.

First gun I ever fired was an old Winchester Model 60A that was a rifle handed down through the family. It was the most accurate .22 I can remember shooting until I got into small-bore competition. I'd pick limbs off of trees 20-30 yards away with open sights with it. I've sence inherited it and plan to pass it on to my children. The bore on that old rifle is so tight that a standard .22 cleaning rod would not go down the barrel. Wasn't until the .17 calibers were introduced that I could find a cleaning rod that would work with it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Had a couple of Crossman pellet guns... a 760, and a .22 caliber (don't remember the model number). First "real" gun was a Mossberg bolt action .410 when I was about 12. Great little squirrel gun! Wish I still had it. :(

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    I honestly don't remember the first time I fired a weapon, but my father tells me it was with his old S&W .38. The first gun i was given was at 12, for christmas I got a mossberg 20 guage pump. It was awesome! Unfortunately it was lost in a house fire I had back in 2000.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I'll never forget it. I was 11 years old and Dad took me to Kirk's Sporting Goods in Muncie. He asked the lady behind the counter to show me some shotguns in my "size." I came home with a 20 gauge Ithaca M-66 Super Single. I still have that little shotgun and it's priceless to me.

tsugaruroman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My third year in US, bought Mosin rifle. Lived in Japan for a while, their air soft guns cost more than real ones here (I mean about $300 for a toy). And BB ammo there is about the price of bulk .22 lr here. I couldn't believe the prices here.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My first firearm was a Series 80 Colt I bought from one of my professors who gave me a good deal for which I demonstrated my appreciation by not saying a word such that he would not have to deal with any jabs from the left.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    IMG_1487.jpg

It is a Browning Superposed Lightning, It was purchased for me in 1976 just before I was born. My dad and I have shot it a couple of times first time when I was 10. The gun behind it is one of the guns my Grandfather gave me before he passed away.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    A daisy bb gun my dad bought for me around my 10th birthday. Shot many cans with it in the back yard as the land behind us was an unused field.

My first real gun was a 12 gauge 870 express (later stolen). My friend was really into shooting and trying to get me into it. It was about all I could afford at the time but I sure shot the heck out of it.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Other than various air rifles when I was a kid, I kind of claimed my grandfather's Remington Model 33 .22 during my teenage years. First gun I actually owned was an M&P9c. Believe it or not, I still have it after all these months.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I had fired .22's and shotguns from the time I was about 8 or so.

Bought my own .22 when I was 14. A beautiful Winchester Model 320. They only made 'em for a couple of years. It's a clip-fed, bolt action based on the popular Winchester Model 70.

Saved up my grass cutting money all summer. My mom took me downtown to a place called Em-Roe's. A big sporting goods place that was on Washington Street. I had the purchase all planned out from countless hours of reading Outdoor Life magazine and early copies of Guns and Ammo. I think I paid around $60 bucks.

Here is a link to a youtube on the 320. This is not me, but the fellow does a decent job. And yes, I still have it! :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjVBLfnoSyk[/ame]

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Marlin 39D. Dad gave it to me when i was about 11 or 12. Shortly after i got a Ithica Deerslayer 20Ga. for a shotgun. i have probably took more game with those two firearms than anything else.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Due to an uncle getting killed in a deer hunting accident, real guns were not allowed in my house when growing up. I could have a BB gun, and that was it!

The first rifle I shot was a military M-14 in basic training. The first gun I bought was a Bersa Model 97, .380, in January of this year.

Since then, I have added two Crosman guns: A C11 Tactical, CO2 powered, and an M4-177 pump-action AR-15 copy. Then came my Marlin 336W, .30-30, with a Bushnell scope. And on June 2nd, I received my Springfield M-1A. Su-weet! :-))

I think I am done buying...for a while!

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    1st gun I had was my father's sears tube fed .22....the first gun that I bought with my own money as a kid was a ruger 10/22 that I still have to this day.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I don't remember the first firearm I ever shot, but it was in my early teens at the Atterbury range with an adult friend.

The first firearm I ever owned was a Ruger KP95DC 9mm, bought while I was in college.

bmgreen13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    First time was when I took a hunters ed class with my uncle and each person got to shoot at two clay targets with a 12 gauge. Went 1 for 2 and have been hooked since.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    First time shooting was with my dad, shooting a Remington Nylon 66 before I was even able to hold the gun up on my own. First gun that was mine was my Mossberg 500 20 gauge my dad bought me for christmas when I was 12. My first gun I bought was when I turned 18 and had just received my LTCH Which was a Gen3 Glock 22. I still have all 3 and plan and never getting rid of any of them.

Top Bottom