• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am ashamed to admit that I have had a gun go off when I did not intend for it too. Usually because of a hangfire or other mechanical problem. Luckily I was always on the range and the barrel was point in a safe direction. Lesson learned is always keep the gun downrange.

Last fall I went trap shooting with some friends. I loaned a 20 gauge pump to my buddies boy. After shooting we told him to unload and put the gun away. I put the sling back on the gun and placed it in the case. I then offered to lend the gun to the young man for deer season. His dad told him he needed to clean the gun. So, wanting to be helpful I showed them how to disassemble the shotgun. Guess what I found? A shell still in the magazine. Care to take a stab at the lesson here? And yes the boy got a talkin to.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    December 1995 left the house to hunt deer during muzzleloader season. Arrived at hunt parking area one hour before first light. Forgot my gun. thirty five min. drive to house to get forgotten gun. Arrive at house to get gun only to find my wife had given it to my neighbor to bring to me (passed neighbor on way back home - he was flashing lights and honking as I passed him down the road). Wife was laughing, neighbor was laughing as he pulled in the drive behind me and I ALSO WAS LAUGHING. Took gun from neighbor, hugged wife, thanked neighbor and drove back to hunt site. On stand five minutes, big ten pointer (HUNTED HIM FOR THREE YEARS) he walks up to me within ro yards, & stops, turns broadside and looks behind himself, I pull the trigger on him at that time - MISS FIRE!!!! HE LOOKS AT ME AND WALKS DOWN THE TRAIL IN A NORMAL GAIT. I replace the cap and take aim as he is about 50 yards down the trail - I began to chuckle and didn't take the shot. It was a great hunting adventure I will never forget. By the way, my hunting buddy shot that buck opening day of the next season from that same stand and I'll never hear the end of it. GOOD SHOOTING

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I've posted this story before but here goes:

My dad likes to come over to my house after deer hunting to clean his muzzle loader. (After all why waste money on cleaning supplies when he can just use mine?) I have a couple of work benches with adjacent tables to make cleaning easy plus there is a T.V. down in the workshop.

He disassembled his knight muzzleloader, cleaned it and then loaded it minus the primer so that it would be ready for the next morning. Knight recommends firing a primer as the final stage of cleaning in order to blow any oil or grease out of the touch hole. Realizing he had failed to do this he uncased the gun, put in a primer and fired, forgetting that he had just loaded it.

There was a kaboom! and my workshop filled with a big acrid cloud of black smoke. The round went into an empty filing cabinet, penetrating the back and them smacking into the thing that adjusts to hold the files in place and bending it over before coming to rest in the drawer and leaving behind a pretty cool fifty caliber hole. That was about three years ago and I still remind him of it every chance I get.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    This is a before I was born story told by my father.

Grandpa (mom's dad) asked dad if he could borrow his beagle to go rabbit hunting.
    No problem, have fun.

Grandpa and his son (my uncle) went out for the day.

Grandpa comes back to dad's house later in the day crying saying "I shot him, I shot him"
    Mom freaked out and thought he shot her brother.

Gramps shot dads beagle by accident when he was drawn down on the rabbit.
    Dog was running them but still in the bush, rabbit comes out, aim, squeeze, dog jumps out at the same split second.

Dad said it was a great dog too.

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    Years ago my buddy was demonstrating how his S&W semi .45 would not fire if the magazine was removed. The demo was in his mom's kitchen. Buddy drops the loaded magazine and pulls the trigger with the .45 pointed at the cabinets. BAM! Bullet comes out, through the cabinet door, mom's plates and glasses, through the back wall, into the bathroom on the other side where his brother was walking into to sit on the thrown then ricochets off the bathroom door onto the floor. Buddy says, "huh, that must be my other gun that you can't pull the trigger on". Same time, his brother's friend was getting to ring the doorbell at the front door when the shot is fired. Friend left, deciding the brothers finally had enough of each other.

moral of the story, always clear your gun before demo, and guns are always loaded.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I was coyote hunting with a Contender. Sat on the ground while a buddy was calling. I found a perfectly shaped stick to use as a shooting rest and put my gun in the Y. Was going perfectly until I moved a little and the gun went off. I hadn't seen another small twig on my makeshift shooting rest that was perfectly positioned to pull the trigger. Luckily I had the muzzle in a safe direction. I switched to an Encore later and I like the hammer operation on it better for hunting.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Back in or around 1988 maybe 89 I was in the Mojave desert shooting with my Dad (I was about 11 years old)

For anyone who has not been out west; it is just very open space in the desert with basically nothing around for miles and miles.

Was nothing around and could shoot about anywhere. I just missed you out there. I was there from 83-87 right outside Twentynine Palms.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I let my friend shoot my Glock 30 one time. He is new to guns so i was trying to show him what to do and what not to do, and POW he shot my mountain dew right off the shooting bench. i hadnt even opend it yet.

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    My buddy didn't want to spend $25 to buy a BB gun trap so he built one out of plywood. He showed it to me and asked if I wanted to be the first to try it out. It looked good...sturdy construction, angled steel plate to deflect the BBs downward into a bunch of phone books that were placed with the edges facing up to trap the BBs. I cocked the air rifle, aimed at the paper target, fired the rifle and nearly shot my eye out! It turns out that he didn't have any steel plate to use as a deflector so he used hard rubber. It grabbed the BB and sent it right back at me. It caught me right between my eyebrows. Of course I WASN'T wearing eye protection. I learned my lesson. Just 'cause it's air powered doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    When I was 5, my dad was teaching me gun safty in the back yard. (We lived out in the country) I was shooting a .22 revolver and he was shooting his muzzle loading revolver. He told me to always stand behind a shooter. When my dad began to shoot his target, about the third round, the cylinder of the gun blew up. Scared the crap out of my dad. Then he looked behind him and said, "Thats why you always stand behind the shooter."

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I had a buddy once in the 70's that had a .41 magnum revolver. I swear I had just seen that cat unload that weapon. He pointed that hand cannon at the ground between my sister's foot and his own. When he pulled the trigger all of us jumped including him because of the report. There was a hole in the ground that just touched the edges of both their shoes. We scrambled before the cops got there. I use that as my "The gun is ALWAYS loaded story". I would've sworn that revolver was empty.

stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I took my girlfriend to pop gins for a date. She had never shot a gun and was kind of afraid of them. The only hand gun I own is a 1911 45. I showed her how to hold it and the safety precautions and gave the gun to her. She fires 7 round and turns the gun sideways with her finger on the trigger and says,"Am I done." Then BLAM! Shoots the wall. Luckily we were in the far left booth. It scared the crap out of her and dropped my gun on the floor. She is better now and loves to shoot and tell the story of the first time she ever shot a gun.

stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    A friend of mine told me his story. He had just bought an SKS and some cheap mags. He was having trouble with double feeds. So he decides to go to his room and figure it out. He loads up a full mag and begins to cycle the bolt to find the problem. on one of the cycles when the bolt slammed shut a round went off and shot his water bed. The bullet actually went through the bed, through the floor, and into the kitchen island. His dad just so happened to be in the kitchen at the time. He got in deep trouble and a hell of a mess to clean up. The bullet is still lodged in the island to this day as a conversation piece.

stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was shooting with my family at my grand parents house out in the country. We were shooting into a big trash pill of a sorts of stuff. My mom starts shooting and hits something metal in the pile. The bullet ricochets * upwards and lands in her hair. She starts freaking out, and frantically tries to get it out of her hair thinking it will catch fire due to all the hair spray. My mom uses lots of hair. Had to be there. Hilarious

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    The 1500

Never had a round go off on accident,

But Did I ever mention to INGO about the time I contributed to the Idiot jar with a 7.62x39rd From my AMD at the 1500?

I did post somethin about this...:nailbite: :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad: < "law enforcement"

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch
    when i was at wilbur wright a couple weeks ago i went to the pistol range and there was a man getting help sighting in his m4 by the DNR officer and my uncle and i were shooting also. while my uncle and i were shooting the guy decided to walk to his target, when he tried to the DNR officer pulled him back. he didn't do it again.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    No story other than when I went to gun safety training with the boys they stated "There are no gun accidents, only stupid things people do when they are not practicing safe gun handling"

Top Bottom