• wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Pretty broad brush there, amigo!

On topic, assuming we're talking strictly handguns, a medium-to-large frame 9mm isn't much more difficult to handle than a .22lr.

I agree on both counts. Not everyone needs or wants to start on .22's. I've taken several new shooters to the range who wanted to start with a compact 9mm and they loved it. I've also had plenty who were afraid of anything bigger than a .22. It depends on the person, though I agree the .22 is normally the best way to start out.

After the .22, I prefer something like a full size Glock or similar gun, like a G17. No safety or decocker to worry about and the recoil is minimal. Otherwise a full size steel framed gun, like a CZ75B. After that, I do usually bring a full size 1911 as well, if the shooter feels like trying it.

I do try to avoid bringing anything that has a trigger that's less than 4lbs for a first time shooter. Make sure they have the proper trigger and muzzle discipline before giving them something that has that light of a trigger. After I've worked with them, then I'll bring out something like my CZ 75 compact SAO that has a ~2lb trigger to try out... ;)

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    started the wife with my MKIV 22/45 i use for RF open steel matches. after several hundred rounds she "graduated" to my USPSA open pistol. then fired a few rounds out a glock 27.

tried the same thing with my niece, she didnt like the muzzle blast from the open gun, and really didnt like the recoil of the glock.

:cheers:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Depends on what you consider to be a new shooter. Kids? Stick with the .22 and keep them on the bench. Adults that just want to shoot a gun and are curious? .22, full size 9mm, AR-15. Things that have light recoil but still go bang. Maybe shoot some steel. Men who have never shot? “Manly” Guns, drag out the Garand or something out of the movies. “Women” or other novice shooters interested in personal protection?..........

Ok this is where it gets murky. We want to introduce them to shooting and build confidence. They also might be intimidated by recoil or like the small little pocket guns because they are again less intimidating. So .22 right? Maybe. Probably not. I have tried that and they usually leave with the impression that is all they can handle. If I do the .22 it is my Browning Buckmark (any .22 Semiauto Pistol will work). Just use cheap ammo so the damn thing jams up a lot. Yeah I said it! “See this is why we don’t recommend .22s”. Now I am typing all of this a little tongue in cheek because in reality I leave the .22 in the safe.

What I do bring is a couple 9mms. Large and small. Maybe a pocket .380. This gives a nice demonstration about size vs power vs recoil. Everyone has been able to shoot a full size S&W M&P or a 5” PPQ with no problems. They are economic, not to heavy and don’t bounce around. I finish the day by letting small people shoot my 1911 in .45 then watch the confidence grow as they shoot smaller targets with big Bullets. Because it is not about strength but rather confidence and technique.

I give a big thumbs up to the Shield EZ. Have not had that on range with new shooters but it would be a good choice. The Walther PK380 was always a crowd pleaser. See another example of large for cartridge handguns with low recoil, decent sighs, decent triggers and big enough to hold onto.

Oh and K Frame revolvers with wadcutters is another crowd pleaser. So load up some light .38s.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I bought a p226 in 22 and then bought a 9mm barrel for it. It is great with mini mags but finicky with cheaper ammo. No recoil and all the feel of a full size gun. After they have gone through a bunch of mags it is an easy transaction to changing the barrel and shooting 9mm. P238 is a very soft shooting gun for its size. The 10/22 has always been popular but I just bought a 15-22 for an easy transaction to an AR. Vepr 12 looks intimidating but shoots very soft.

For rifle, 15-22 with an inexpensive red dot, makes for lots of fun and gives someone confidence, quick hits on steel quickly.

Handgun, I like the M&P Compact 22LR, or my Advantage Arms conversion kit on one of my Glock frames, then we move to the counterpart of either gun in 9mm, depending on how the person does. I try not to introduce more than 3 total different guns at a new shooter in a session (and I generally believe sticking to 2 or 3 results in some of the best training anyway -- start with 22LR, get some medium size gun practice in with either an M&P Compact 2.0 or a Glock 19, and then possibly some time in with a sub compact such as a Shield).

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A .22 is a good way for a new shooter to develop good marksmanship skills. They are famous for real accuracy. The low noise and mild recoil will help prevent flinching. Learning to shoot properly is something that they can build on. Trying to break bad habits is a much harder task.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree with almost all the various choices above. I usually start them out with a 22 rifle (loaded with 1 cartridge as I have seen some get excited after their first time shooting and wave the gun about regardless of our safety talk).

Then when they become comfortable I move on to other rifles in light calibers like .223 AR, 30 carbine M1, etc.. ONLY when they ask do I move on to the larger caliber rifles like 30-30, 7.62 X 39 AK, .308 etc, some men then want to shoot the Garand, Mosin Nagant, or Mauser.

As far as Handguns the 22lr is still my first choice, then .380, 9mm, and or 38 spl (again I start with 1 cartridge, and when in calibers larger than .380 use light loads son and I reload).

When and only when someone wants to shoot a stronger cartridge I warn them and move up to my 45ACP in my Colt Double Eagle, .357 in my Colt King Cobra or 44 mag in my Colt anaconda. Some don't mind the recoil at all, some decide they don't want to keep shooting a full strength load, but NONE are surprised by me by not being warned.

The normal response I have had is "when can we do this again!".

As an aside I have one DIL that likes to shoot hard kicking firearms, she is rather petite but was athletic in her youth. She repeatedly has shot their S&W 50 Magnum handgun, Mosin Nagant rifle, 12 GA shotgun, and several of my large cal firearms.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    38 special Colt Officers Model shooting 148 grain HBWC. Accurate, low recoil, looks good, and people identify it with being a serious gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nothing wrong with .22's. I own and shoot them a lot. They are a good 1st trip to the range gun.

Too often we don't have a plan to move folks on from the .22's though. Lots and lots of folks are afraid of recoil and how to manage it because they are allowed to think that .22's are enough for self defense.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Nothing wrong with .22's. I own and shoot them a lot. They are a good 1st trip to the range gun.

Too often we don't have a plan to move folks on from the .22's though. Lots and lots of folks are afraid of recoil and how to manage it because they are allowed to think that .22's are enough for self defense.
    Actually the inexpensive price of .22 ammo and comparative lesser price of rimfires would encourage more trips to the range, IMHO. A person must eventually be self-motivated to continue improving their skills. I've never considered learning to shoot a .22 to have any drawbacks. Sometimes I'll actually let someone shoot centerfire calibers the first range trip, if they shoot the .22 well. If a person thinks a .22 is their limit for self-defense, that is their choice. At least it is better than throwing a rock, although David had success with his!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It all depends on the person. The wife liked the 1911s best back in the old days and even liked shooting the Super Redhawk .44 mag. Now she only likes the 9mm as she is older and not as tough as she used to be.
    The daughter like shooting the .38 steel revolvers.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    AR's fit more people. My ar9, ar45 have been great first timers. I think 22lr has merit, but it's not like it's any softer than a pcc or safer.
    I have to disagree with you on a .22 not being softer than a PCC. Not that PCCs are hard, but they are not as soft as a .22.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have to disagree with you on a .22 not being softer than a PCC. Not that PCCs are hard, but they are not as soft as a .22.

Suppressors and competition compensators may spoil me. I had a sub2k that kicked like a mule, but the AR pcc's are *****cats.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    A lot of what I think has already been said, but I'll say it anyway.
    I love giving a newbie a 229 in .22 with a suppressor.
    They always love it, too.
    .357 revolvers with lightly loaded .38s are popular, too.
    A Marlin 39 is a smilemaker.
    People love using the lever.
    Personally, I like a 10/22 or a Marlin model 60.
    If they don't seem to mind a little recoil, a Marlin model 336, a .410 shotgun, or an AR are always fun.
    If they're patient, a muzzleloader is a hoot, and you can load it very lightly.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    The worst thing that you can do to a first timer is to over gun them. Kind of like taking someone to the gym for a 3 hour workout on their first day.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    A lot of what I think has already been said, but I'll say it anyway.
    I love giving a newbie a 229 in .22 with a suppressor.
    They always love it, too.
    .357 revolvers with lightly loaded .38s are popular, too.
    A Marlin 39 is a smilemaker.
    People love using the lever.
    Personally, I like a 10/22 or a Marlin model 60.
    If they don't seem to mind a little recoil, a Marlin model 336, a .410 shotgun, or an AR are always fun.
    If they're patient, a muzzleloader is a hoot, and you can load it very lightly.

It seems to me that the old hat shooters who want to get back into it enjoy the suppressed 22 more than new shooters. New shooters expect more out of guns and I think pcc's, revolvers, and lever guns gives that to them, gets their blood pumping and excited to keep shooting. I am not a fan of giving a new person a big bore thumper just to watch recoil beat them up for giggles, but I think your suggestions are right in line with what new adult/young adult shooters want to experience their first time out. I've had guys at the conservation club who just couldn't get enough of the 7.5" sbr with 5.56 and I've had old shotgunners who can't stop smiling when they can hear 22lr subs hit a board at 100yards.

If it's a 22 or a 50bmg the safety rules are the same so I don't see a safety hazard teaching someone to shoot an ar15 over a 1022.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Seriously, it would be one of my .327fed/mags.
    After the .22's lose their appeal, I pull out the SP101 and load it with .32short, or long, then step up to .32H&Rmag, and on to .327fedmag.
    There is a huge difference in report and recoil from one end of that spectrum to the other.

The .32shorts, and even the longs, are like bunny farts.
    Then put those shorts or longs through the 20" barrel on the Henry and it's back to .22 type report/recoil.

Loads of fun.

Top Bottom