• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Outside motion detectors activating flood lamps.
    Bathroom iight left on at night with an energy effecient 40w bulb.
    I'm an electronics geek and have all points of entry wired and activated 24/7.
    "Just because you come out with a better mousetrap doesn't mean you're safe. Sooner or later some S.O.B. will come up with a better mouse"

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have considered getting one of those LED light boxes that makes it look like you have a TV on.

I have one of those. Doesn't make sound though. Motion sensor lights all around outside. There are a couple I leave on inside, have squiggly ones for those, and some recessed ones in the kitchen on minimum dim. I have cameras covering all the doors inside and out, and a few others, so if a light comes on, I just look at the monitor and see why. A couple of the lights false on raccoons.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    The new compact fluorescent bulbs are very cheap to use, so it changes the economics of leaving a light on if that is your preference.

My dog is always on.

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nothing inside the house.

However, two floods on either of the back corners of the house, one at the patio door, one at the front door (we like to know who's there), three at the garage doors, and one dusk-dawn in the front yard. We want to make sure that anyone approaching the house is visible to all. Also have the doors wired for instant alarm and a motion detector, all monitored. Overkill? We've been broken into before and don't want it again.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We have a light in the front yard and on the back patio. All of the houses in the neighborhood have light poles in the front yards on electronic eyes. So, the street is well lit. We have several night lights in the house so we can check on the baby or the boy can find his way to the potty.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    My girlfriend doesn't live with me but she comes and goes at night a lot, and she insists I keep my apartment front porch light on 24/7 so I never forget to turn it on at night time. I think buying her a Surefire would be cheaper. :rolleyes: I would rather have my outside light on anyway, to answer the OP's question. Once I own instead of rent I will certainly have motion detection lights and some similar things for home security.

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    Motion lights on front and back doors and detached garage. I always leave a couple lights on in the house. Just enough for me or the kids to be able to see to get around. It is always random though, don't want to set a pattern and be an easy target.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    I have one of those. Doesn't make sound though. Motion sensor lights all around outside. There are a couple I leave on inside, have squiggly ones for those, and some recessed ones in the kitchen on minimum dim. I have cameras covering all the doors inside and out, and a few others, so if a light comes on, I just look at the monitor and see why. A couple of the lights false on raccoons.

You are my hero. When I buy a house, I want to have so much security that friends and family to refer to it as "the fortress," "the compound," or "the bunker." Although, sometimes I wonder if the more security you have, the more assets thieves would feel you are protecting inside. Eh, it's not something I'll have to worry about for awhile though...

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    This is our daily routine close the blinds in the living room (where we watch TV most) and turn on a lamp. The lamp lights up our living room and most of the dinning room. First thing in the morning we open the blinds. They get closed about 30-45 mins before sun sets and any time we will be home after it get dark.

The lamp is a florescent so not a lot of money wasted.

Edit* Forgot about out side. We have two lights with florescent bulbs at the end of the drive way that are on sensors that come on at dusk. We have one at our back door set up the say way. Last we have a flood light on a motion sensor covering the drive way and east side of the house.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Back porch light inside stays on all the time. If we're not home at night we will live a lamp in the living room on for the dog. At night the only one on is the back porch.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I always call porch lights "rob me" lights, people only leave them on when they are not at home, they say.."rob me I'm not here"

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have a timer light on a small lamp in the front room, usually leave the light on the kitchen exhaust hood on at night, and an exterior coach type light on the garage with a timer. I use the mini energy saver lamps(pigs tail kind, ) as much as possible.
    Used to install a bug bulb on the garage light, but the bugs hovered around too much. Replaced with a blue bulb, bugs gone now? I also have a motion light covering my driveway w/ 2- 150watt spot bulbs. Someone attempted to rob my work truck a couple of years ago, and this solved that by the install.

Recently installed a few of the solar footpath lights that look like Tiki torches w/ recharge bulbs. Installed a couple on the front steps and they do a good job till covered with 8-10 in of snow. When asleep most are timed off except the footpath lights. They were pretty inexpensive and seem to work till wee hours of the night. Use to have motions on the front and rear doors, and had a tough time setting the sensitivity. Seemed always off/on, false alerts. Went back to standard coach lights w/ energy bulbs(soft white color). Leave off unless needed, or company coming over.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I leave my front outside lights on and a light over the kitchen sink on. I have LED bulbs in all of these lights so they aren't costing me much. I like having the light on so I can easily see throughout the house but light is not cast in a way that others can see in.
    Some would say that this would give a burglar an advantage since he/she could see, but I have a 3 year old that has toy all over the house. I know this and I can still trip over them all of the time.

deter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    Always off. I see quite well at night (also know my house well). There is a street light that casts lots of light on the front of my house, so that helps.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    Like many other replies, night light in bath and hallway but no other
    lights left on at night. I know my home...bad guys don't :ar15:

:ingo::patriot:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have motion lights on the outside and inside the house in various place. I have LED lights in the kitchen and such for my youngins. The way the house design is it gives me a wide range of vision.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Try this. Mi Casa Verde Vera review: Home automation, simplified -- Engadget It's a complete home automation system. You can operate door locks, lights, thermostats, cameras etc etc. You can set events as well i.e. when you open the front door, all the lights in the house come on, or at 8pm the outside lights come on and the thermostat gets set at 70degrees. Pretty neat. The cameras are the coolest. You can use your iphone to remotely turn various lights on and off, unlock a door, and monitor the cameras. Another cool feature is if you're away at work and the cameras pick up motion, they'll record it and send you an email with the video clip.

I have my ipad on near my bed which shows 4 outside night vision cameras and 2 indoor cameras.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    This one is easy! Wife leaves random multipul lights on everyday. Inside, outside, up stairs, down stairs. I came home sunday and handed her a rifle and told her to go put it away its hers. Even with all of the lights on I couldnt find it today:) Its nice to feel safe:twocents:

Top Bottom