• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    PF-9 although mine has been totally reliable, it is definitely not a range toy, but it's very concealable, and when you really need it, it's a far cry better than a sharp stic

Sub2K (G22 version) has been totally reliable. can be tough if you don't get the right cheek weld. with a little stoning of the internals, mine has developed from a hideous trigger, to totally awesome and fun to shoot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    My P-11 is my EDC. As was stated earlier, the complaints are that it's not pretty, hard trigger, but it's also highly reliable as an SD weapon. I switched out my own spring so it is still long (but it's DAO) but the spring weight is now around 6 lbs. Takes completely apart in less than a minute. It's been a great compact 9 for me.
    KelTec.jpg

P11Disassembly.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    So I've heard, but I ran a couple boxes of Hornady Critical Defense through mine to prove to myself that mine would.

It did.

Claritan clear...

I've got some Remington HD loads (124 gr BJHP) that I tried because a friend did not like them in his 9mm. They work really well and I went and bought all the boxes off of him. I do have some Pow'r Ball ammo but don't shoot it too often because it's +P

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have never had a bad experience with any of the many KelTec products I have shot. I own a p32, had it for over 5 years now with no problems and really like it. I also have a sub2k that is just awesome! I have fired many many more KelTecs and have enjoyed them all. Good luck with your decision.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have owned 3 Kel Tecs, a P-32, a P-11, and a PF-9. I traded the P-32 on the PF-9 and sold the P-11 when the PF-9 took it's place. All three ran flawless through many rounds and I never had any problem from any of them.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Had a P11 for a year. Always worked but the trigger and muzzle flip were annoying. Once I fired a Kahr P9, I immediately sold the KelTec. It was like switching from a go-cart to a Mustang.

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    I've had a P11, a P32, and a SUB2000.

P11: Carried this almost daily for a little over a year. Carried IWB with the belt clip, SOB. The slide finish wore and started to rust within the first month. I had it blasted, parked, and guncoted, which held up exceptionally well. The front sight got damaged during the refinish, Kel-Tec sent a new one free of charge. I liked the light weight and small size, while still having a 9mm. I didn't care for the trigger (long double action, it felt like squeezing a staple gun) and it wasn't the most fun gun to shoot, but it was reliable and I felt I could trust it in a conflict (while running for a rifle). The factory mag stayed in it most of the time but it would use S&W mags also so I had some 15rd mags as reloads.

P-32: Basically the same as the P11 except slimmer and smaller. This pistol was also reliable but the .32 round never gave me much confidence. I carried this when I normally couldn't be bothered with carrying a gun (also IWB SOB w/ belt clip), the extreme small size and light weight made me forget it was even there most of the time. It wasn't fun to shoot, it wasn't super accurate, but inside of 7 yards or so it was good enough to be a benefit and not a liability.

SUB2000 9mm: This thing was great. I got it used so I didn't get to choose which mags it took, mine used S&W mags. I would have gone with Glock mags if I'd had the option. When I got it the rear sight had been modified/damaged, I contacted Kel-Tec and they sent me a replacement free of charge. The folding feature was pretty cool, and it would fit easily into a backpack. The rifle was reliable, pretty accurate, and actually very fun to shoot.

I was originally a little standoffish with their guns, before I carried the P11 I carried a Browning HiPower and I was a little snobby about "cheap guns defending your life". The convenience of both the P11 and the P32 though made both those purchases worthwhile for me- I found that I was more apt to carry a pistol times I would have left the HiPower behind. Riding a bicycle in the summer, for example.
    Overall my experiences with Kel-Tec products has been great, and their customer service and support has been outstanding.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have owned a P11, P11 w/ P40 conversion upper, and a P32. I have handled and shot a P3AT, PF9 and SUB-2000.

My P11 was one of the early ones with 11# trigger (which I upgraded to the 8.5# as soon as the parts were made available), and the "soft grip" where the polymer frame was not properly cured. It broke frame pins after a few hundred rounds, and KT replaced everything but the actual aluminum receiver. Fine after that, until I sold it.

My second P11 had no such problems, but the P40 upper was physically painful to shoot. Also got sold.

My P32 was my daily pocket-carry gun for 4 years. After about 1000 rounds, the mag catch broke. KT replaced it. No further problems, save for the occasional case of "rim-lock" in the magazine with Cor-Bon JHP, which I quickly stopped using.

I tried a friend's P3AT when I was searching for a .380 pocket gun, but found to be a little too "flippy" to allow a fast second shot (and not much fun to shoot in general), so I did not buy one. AFAIK, my friend never had any kind of reliability issues with his.

Shot another friend's PF9 and was not impressed; recoil is tolerable, but the sights and trigger pull both suck wind.

Finally, I got to shoot fellow INGOer KEHO's SUB-2K last year. Accurate and reliable, but kicks a lot more than one would expect from a 9mm. Also, the ergonomics leave something to be desired (but the folding feature is kinda cool). A word to the wise on this gun - NEVER take the thing apart past the field-stripping stage. The internal mechanisms of the gun are a convoluted nightmare, and trying to disassemble (or more specifically, reassemble) them will leave school-trained armorers in the corner sobbing for their mommy.

At the shop, we sell TONS of KT products and most customers seem to speak well of theirs. We have had to send two Kel-Tec pistols (a PMR30 and a PF9) back for service in the past 6 months, which is about par for the course with them. Very, VERY little trouble out of their long guns.

HTH!

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I have a P32 that I bought used and have put about 400 flawless rounds through. I find it enjoyable to shoot, and its tiny profile means that I have it on me 100% of the time (unless I am at a legally prohibited location, of course.) I always felt like this gun could at least get me out of a tight spot, but I feel even a little bit more confident lately after reading a news report last week about an attorney who pocket carried a P32 regularly.....he was at an AA meeting when an armed robber came in and demanded the contents of everyone's pockets. This guy delivered the goods bullets first, shooting three times. The robber fled but collapsed and died a short distance from the scene of the robbery. Sooo....not much knock 'em down, but still barks and takes the fight out of most

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    My P-11 was a good gun, kicked like a mule and the trigger was awful, so I traded it for a CW9 from Kahr.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    First hand experience with the Sub-2000. I think it's pretty good for the price and size.

I would love to give a review of the PMR30 or the RFB but they are generally unavailable in my area.

My only issue with Kel Tecs in general is that they aren't designed for rough use. I tend to be a little rough on my firearms.

Dave00c5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    South Bend
    I had a Kel Tec PLR 22 that was nothing but junk. I sent it back to them twice under their lifetime warranty and the gun smith finally called me and said what do you expect for a 22. I told him i expected it to shoot not bend the bullets and jam. Never again will i own a Kel Tec. :noway:

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I would go with the PF9 over the P11. Here is a pic of mine with some easy mods to it. It carries perfectly and weights nothing. It is understandably snappy to shoot, but I can live with that.

60049407.jpg

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    by the way, with the inexpensive belt clip installed - the PF9 carries super low and really does not print at all. I know there are a million options out there - but a gun with this many CCW positives AT THIS PRICE, I don't think you can go wrong.

Top Bottom