• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    And yes, I'd say a BIG reason for obesity, is ACTIVITY.

I'd generally agree except that you can't out-exercise your diet. When I was in shape I was 12 pounds heavier than I am now and have not been to a gym in ages. I have a desk job and generally am sedentary.

Healthy? Probably not. But I AM losing weight-- and almost all fat, since I actually have more energy, not less. And this is with an pedometer totals averaging a paltry 2500-4000 steps a day. Like I said--pretty sedentary.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't think so. Without some regulation, you might be eating catburgers at McDonalds and sewer effluent laced cola.

My government didn't require people to weigh 350 pounds. They did that to themselves. Capitalism has a few failures. Consumer advertising is one of them.

Your government isn't forcing people to shove a spoon in their arses on a continual cycle to the point they finally explode.
    IF someone wants to eat them self to death it's only a matter of time before the problem cures itself.
    As I get older (mature and gain wisdom) I realize the decisions of our past dictate our present and future. It comes down to common sense. Eat right and and don't pop the buttons.
    Keep the damned Govt out of my everyday life.
    I paid my dues to them in taxes and my service. Leave me the **** alone and let me live my life in a free land I help build and pay for.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Exercise gets harder as you get older, I still cut,haul, split, and stack wood to keep the house warm in the winter. How much longer I'll be able to do that I don't know, but working outside provides pretty good exercise. My feeling is more sedentary lifestyles from early age on into adult is the big contributor. Somebody is paying a law/lobby firm in CA for this idea and will make good money from it.

Always follow the money

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    In addition to the above-mentioned causes:

Video games.

(...watch the squealing and defensiveness this one generates...) :popcorn:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember back in the 60s, the government pushed a physical fitness program through elementary schools. Can't recall a lot, but it did involve high rope climbing, something you probably couldn't do today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember back in the 60s, the government pushed a physical fitness program through elementary schools. Can't recall a lot, but it did involve high rope climbing, something you probably couldn't do today.

We had 2 30' ropes in the gym. It was a requirement to climb them.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We had 2 30' ropes in the gym. It was a requirement to climb them.

Me too in middle school....1977-1978 IIRC....I think Carter started it IIRC....

As a side note...They found some tracks of three running humans chasing after some game in Africa...The tracks were about 75,000 years old and the mud had turned to stone...They measured the stride and did some calculations (I don't recall how) and estimated that 3 of the 4 would beat the current record for the mile.....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

As a side note...They found some tracks of three running humans chasing after some game in Africa...The tracks were about 75,000 years old and the mud had turned to stone...They measured the stride and did some calculations (I don't recall how) and estimated that 3 of the 4 would beat the current record for the mile.....

Back then your choices were eating dinner or being dinner.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Your government isn't forcing people to shove a spoon in their arses on a continual cycle to the point they finally explode.
    IF someone wants to eat them self to death it's only a matter of time before the problem cures itself.
    As I get older (mature and gain wisdom) I realize the decisions of our past dictate our present and future. It comes down to common sense. Eat right and and don't pop the buttons.
    Keep the damned Govt out of my everyday life.
    I paid my dues to them in taxes and my service. Leave me the **** alone and let me live my life in a free land I help build and pay for.

Unfortunately, I've got to pay for the bad decisions and poor genes of those folks in the form ofsocial security disability payments, doctors, hospitals and prescriptions. And all the close-in handicap parking they want because they ate too many (x) and drank too much (y).

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

I remember it. The Presidents challenge or some such. Lot's of events and they were all scored. 6 of us out of 800 boys made the top award. We got a pair of gold gym trunks for the effort.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Or was the game chasing them?

I'd only have to run faster than you, not Usain Bolt. :)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Unfortunately, I've got to pay for the bad decisions and poor genes of those folks in the form ofsocial security disability payments, doctors, hospitals and prescriptions. And all the close-in handicap parking they want because they ate too many (x) and drank too much (y).

If it's convenient then why not feel that way. I understand you totally.
    There's NO responsibility to try to fix something that another person has broken. IF they want to poison themselves on McDonalds or other greasy almost food places then let them. Throw out the POS politicians feeding them cheese and whine and pissing rainbows for them.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I remember it. The Presidents challenge or some such. Lot's of events and they were all scored. 6 of us out of 800 boys made the top award. We got a pair of gold gym trunks for the effort.

Can you still fit in them?

Top Bottom