• ...and so much more!
  • TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    Major changes on the way for moped drivers | WANE

I am glad that the state will have a way to track mopeds now, but the new law still does not require the operator to have a license to drive them on public roadways. I am sure there are people who ride mopeds for economical reasons, but a large majority of people who are riding them have lost their drivers license for one reason or another.

Thoughts?

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I guess the good thing is it would be pretty tough for someone on a moped to hurt someone in a car. In a wreck the damage is likely to be to the moped driver.
    I darn sure would not let any of my kids drive one on the roads. In Elwood they are all over the place driven by young and old. I don't like them.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...but a large majority of people who are riding them have lost their drivers license for one reason or another.

Thoughts?

Hmmm... I thought they rode them for the cool factor. Ya mean chicks don't dig them?:dunno:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    A moped can easily cause thousands of dollars of damage to a car. IMO they should be required to have the same minimum insurance as the rest of the drivers on the road.

The last two idiots I saw driving mopeds were speeding and weaving in and out of lanes in congested traffic on Pendleton Pike & I-465 while wearing headphones. I was sure they were going to wreck and what if they did? The other driver they wrecked into would have had to pay for it.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Agreed that there should be insurance requirements. As for licensing, I don't know. I guess if some company is willing to insure them without a license or permit, I don't particularly care. Damage liability is my main concern.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Leave it to the lawmakers to impose a registration fee and excise tax for the State,

but fail to impose basic insurance requirements to protect others on the road.

These clowns represent us?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I posted about this long ago, but it's a good thing to bring it up.

Starting Jan 1, plates will be required in Indiana. I'm torn about this, on one hand it's good that these cycles are controlled, on the other hand, my motorcycle plate was the one distinguishing marker (along with ATGATT) that separated my big scooter from the Chinese DUI-scooters.

As you can see, I'm not a big fan of 49 cc scooters. In a big city or college town, their great. But in most Indiana cities they spend far too much time impeding traffic. And a lot of those riders don't give two hoots about safety or learning to ride properly. They treat it like this grey area between bicycles and motorcycles.*

I guess the good thing is it would be pretty tough for someone on a moped to hurt someone in a car. In a wreck the damage is likely to be to the moped driver.

Scooter pulls out in front of someone, car swerves, hits pole...

I darn sure would not let any of my kids drive one on the roads. In Elwood they are all over the place driven by young and old. I don't like them.

Again, the general disregard most moped riders have has resulted in this stereotypical backlash. I do what I can to avoid being lumped in.

As to my thoughts on scooters: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...bought-one-these-years-ago-3.html#post2939325

* Of course a lot of motorcyclist think they have bicycles when it comes to parking. The sidewalk is not your parking spot!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Heh, I wonder if we'll see an uptick in the number of DUI lawn mowers traveling about now?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't think I saw a single scooter the whole time I was in DC. You'd think they'd be perfect for navigating that place but I guess the problem would be what would you do with it once you got to where you were going.

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    I am glad the state has a way to get a piece of the action now, but the new law does not address the issue of people who have lost their driving privileges, through their own fault, operating them on the public roadways.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I lived in a city some years ago that required bicycle registration. It was stupid, and a PITA.

I totally agree, in reference to my motor vehicles being required registration and insurance. Any other wheel rolling down said roadway should have to do the same.
    Bicycles frequently ride the same as "liquor cycles," with little regard for traffic laws and next to zero accountability or way to track them.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I lived in a city some years ago that required bicycle registration. It was stupid, and a PITA.

Where I grew up it was $1 for a lifetime sticker and it was basically to help ID stolen bikes. How many here with bicycles have the serial number written down somewhere?

Side note: I knew a few kids who spent their Saturday morning in bicycle court after they got caught breaking traffic laws.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington

A moped can easily cause thousands of dollars of damage to a car. IMO they should be required to have the same minimum insurance as the rest of the drivers on the road.

The last two idiots I saw driving mopeds were speeding and weaving in and out of lanes in congested traffic on Pendleton Pike & I-465 while wearing headphones. I was sure they were going to wreck and what if they did? The other driver they wrecked into would have had to pay for it.

As I understand the new regs, they are upping the allowed speed limit on these vehicles as well. THEY SHOULD HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! You do the math on a 150 lbs person going 35 mph on a, what, 200lb moped to see how much damage can be inflicted.
    On October 20th of this year I was run down/over by an impaired driver while I was legally in the crosswalk as a pedestrian. It is a miracle I am alive. They will not get any sympathy from me that they can't get a license. TAKE A **** BUS AND STAY OFF THE STREET.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Agreed that there should be insurance requirements. As for licensing, I don't know. I guess if some company is willing to insure them without a license or permit, I don't particularly care. Damage liability is my main concern.
    I agree. Let the lawmakers sign in a new law requiring insurance. Let's see how it works out.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Well it is rarer than one would think. Due to the tremendous difficulty of driving a moped and drinking a Busch light, and shooting a rusty High Point all at the same time.
    How they managed to rust a zinc and polymer firearm is a testament to their destructive potential. :):

Top Bottom