• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Went into afib twice. Had some good family times. My best two months was when I was reading the Bible daily for two months straight. Just calmed me down, slowed things, less concern for the future. Need to get back on that.

2018 will be the year of the hartman.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Rough year here too. Twin boys born to DoggyMama's younger daughter in May (positive thing). DoggyMama broke her ankle in 3 places in June. Kept re-injuring it trying to help babysit the twins, resulting in 4 surgeries, and is just barely out of the wheelchair. House is in chaos making room for said wheelchair, building ramps, rearranging furniture and just "pushing stuff out of the way". In July we lost DoggyMama's older daughter to a drug overdose. Still dealing with that. Moved Mom (95) out of her house and into assisted living, with all that goes along with that (clearing out the house, disposing of most everything that she couldn't take with her). Just a few weeks ago, found out Mom's breast cancer has returned (but hopefully doesn't require surgery, radiation or aggressive chemo). With all that has been going on, haven't done much shooting, and for the first time in 21 years, didn't get to take the boat out or go camping (something DoggyMama and I love).

On the bright side, I woke up on the right side of the grass again this morning. Hoping that 2018 is better for us, and for everyone that had a rough year!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Bought more guns, mags and ammo. Lost a little weight, need to lose more. Wife held her own another year with her issues.

Jtrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2016
    Fountain county
    It's been a really good year for me and my family, I started a new job a couple weeks ago. My wife and kids are healthy and happy. And the highlight was probably my son getting his first deer

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    2017 was a bitter sweet year for me but still a good year. It was the 1st year in 49 years I opened boating season without my dad, but Mom being the trooper she at 83, continued to boat and is already chomping at the bit for the 2018 season to start. Financially the wife and I did very well and we owe it all to smart career decisions we made 30 years ago that continue to pay dividends. Sold off about 20 firearms, but replaced them with 1/2 a dozen better ones. And finally the year will end with the count down clock to retirement at 3 years, though I have to admit if my job keeps sweetening the pot like the last couple of years that might be on a +1 when those 3 years are up.

Mom & Lynn, Ohio River MM501 9/18/2017

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Have owned land in Alaska for 13 years. This was the year for starting our retirement summer cabin.

24'x14 cabin on a remote site. Have to use a boat to get to it. No roads, utilities or services at the site. Everything has to be barged in. Brother-In-Law and I built this in four weeks. Sits on twelve 6x6" posts and two 24' beams. Plans at Cottage, cabin & small country home plans

This summers goals are to build the two front decks and outhouse. Then put up the gutters, water storage tanks and water filtration system. Then install the solar, electrical, pex plumbing, grey-water tank and waste lines from the kitchen and shower room. Next, install the propane system for the propane stove, refrigerator and on-demand water heater. Finally, finish the shower room, kitchen and downstairs rear bunk room and front living room.

Next year, we plan on finishing the upstairs and installing the wood stove and hauling in furniture, along with all the other stuff to live remotely in the bush.

Attachments

• Alaska Cabin 2017.jpg
      Alaska Cabin 2017.jpg
      169.9 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    All in all, a pretty good year. Crossed a few things off the list I have always wanted to do. Attended a training class, and went hog hunting. Didn't really buy any guns this year, traded for a few and sold a few. Big gun purchase was a thermal scope for the hog hunt.
    Found out yesterday, my youngest and his newlywed wife are expecting.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    2017 was a good year for us. My wife and I both got promoted with nice raises. Youngest son graduated college and had a job within a month after graduating. Our oldest and his wife are expecting their first child in 5 weeks. My DIL had a miscarriage about a year ago. Everything is going great with this pregnancy. Being a grandparent for the first time will be the highlight of 2018! My thoughts and prayers to all who had a tough 2017. Hopefully the upcoming year will be better.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I quit my longtime job at the end of 2016 to start construction on our indoor range. We got the range built and opened for business in 2017! Slow start, but we’re rolling now. I didn’t go up or down in pay, but my wife went up the ladder some, so we’re a little better financially. Lost a good friend and carpentry mentor to a hunting accident in November, the guy did a lot of work at the range, I’m reminded of him every time I walk in the building. Oh, and every day in 2017, I’ve thanked god that hillary clinton is not our president!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Overall I was blessed in 2017. The first 6 months were the busiest I have had in 27 years. July 1st I and a couple partners bought the company we work for and the last six months have been a whirlwind of new responsibilities, I am now president, and settling in to new roles and greater challenges. These are exciting times.

My 82 year old father is healthy, siblings are fairing well, and I have discovered the joy of being involved with the raising of a little one with my God daughter who turned one this fall. I never desired children but now am overwhelmed with the unconditional love only a little one can show. Her hugs are worth all the AKs in the world.

I turned 50 this fall and feel like my life is becoming more refined. That is, those things which are important are taking a greater role as I let go the more frivolous. I am becoming more patient, more dedicated and more caring. It's a real George Bailey time.

Last edited:

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I lost my Job, business, kids, home, pretty much everything. All of it. My old lady at the time used me for everything she could get, then ran off with some other putz when I couldn't do anything else for her. Finally, the transmission in my Jeep took a crap (a $3k repair) just as soon as I stopped living in it. Like, literally 3 days after I started renting a room, and that cost me an incredibly good job. Now I rent a room and work for peanuts. Seriously, 2017 will go down as the worse year of my life. Worse than the year my Father passed away. Most of 2018 will be spent running damage control. I can't put this charlie foxtrot in the rearview fast enough.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I lost my Job, business, kids, home, pretty much everything. All of it. My old lady at the time used me for everything she could get, then ran off with some other putz when I couldn't do anything else for her. Finally, the transmission in my Jeep took a crap (a $3k repair) just as soon as I stopped living in it. Like, literally 3 days after I started renting a room, and that cost me an incredibly good job. Now I rent a room and work for peanuts. Seriously, 2017 will go down as the worse year of my life. Worse than the year my Father passed away. Most of 2018 will be spent running damage control. I can't put this charlie foxtrot in the rearview fast enough.

Dam that really sucks. Thoughts and prayers out to you.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    On paper it was a good year. Can't complain compared to some here. But really all of the good was just ways to insulate from the ugly on the inside (as usual).

Highlight for me was going to Louisville Good Friday weekend and getting to see Indi again. I wish I lived closer to a cool cat like him.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Im alive, vertical, and have a job. Thats all that really matters.

2018 has me looking to drinking less and getting more in shape. I am already on the way, but need to get over that final hump.

Top Bottom