• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I can't say I really get into pre-'98 antiques much, but I do have a Remington Model 1858 original (actually part of a pair. Dad has the other one). Not sure precisely when it was made, though.

The oldest "shooter" is this one:
    IMG_7833-1.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The original breech block is rimfire and shot the same round as the Sharps & Hankins - No. 56 Spencer. Since I still wanted to shoot this and use it for reenactments, I got a centerfire block from S&S. The blanks used for reenactments are resized and modified 32 gauge shotgun shells with 40 grains black powder. The live rounds are cut-down 50-70 Government cases with cast lead bullets.

Mucho thanks for that info,.. That turned out a cooler answer then I was hoping for.. Why are the blanks different then the life rounds.. Would seema cut down 50-70 with no bullet would make a good blank??? Is it because the nose is rounded on the shotgun shells??? Would you have a photo??

I ask this as a guy who has been looking at getting a spencer.. Have you ever shot one of the later clones??? How does it compare to the original...???

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    A percussion gun that has been in the family since at least 1867 (I have the belt from the Canadian Militia uniform to prove that). Probably much longer; historians tell me the barrel may be from a pre-1800 converted flintlock.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I have an old muzzle loader that was passed down several generations. Don't know any particulars because I can't find any distiquishable markings. The ram rod is wood and looks to be hand carved. Percussion cap firing mechanism. It was mounted on our family room wall for years until wife needed to redecorate. This thread made me think that I need to get it out and do some research, as soon as I get home from visiting family today.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have a firearm from the 1800's. I have a couple of Makarovs born un the same month and year I was too. The really old ones are still in good, fireable shape, the trick is finding the ammo that is loaded with BP so you don't blow the crap outta them. I have cases and bullets and sometimes I load a few up for fun but most of the time I just keep it in good shape for the next generation.

Top Bottom