• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    1862 Sharps & Hankins Navy carbine - can't shoot it though, as no one makes No. 56 Spencer rimfire cartridges any more.
    1862-63 Spencer rifle (with modern centerfire block - see avatar).

I have always love the Spencer, One has to love those transitional firarms..

Please what you mean by Modern centerfire block...????

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I have a Stevens double barrel with the dog ear hammers that belonged to my great grandad. I also have an Essex single barrel 12 that was my grandfathers and was my first hunting gun. Sucker was brutal to shoot, but I loved it anyway lol.

canoeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Old gun

I have a Belgium made double barrel with wire wound barrels, silver and gold inlays, Cercasian walnut stock and black powder shells only. pre 1860

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    I have a J.P. Saur & Sohn Suhl cal. 7.65 or .32ACP. I think it was made in Germany between 1900 and 1930. I got it from a great aunt who can't tell me when my great uncle acquired it.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    i just picked up a smith & wesson mod 1,second issue that according to the s/n was made at the start of the" war of northern aggression".No history but could have been carried in the war. It is a 22 cal. and i intend to shoot it when ii can find sone 22 Cal.BB rounds. As a side note i bought it at Cabelas , they thought it was broken and a wall hanger.All it needed was some T.L.C. and adjustment paid $65.00 for it .
    smithwesson001.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Nothing antiquey... but it means the world to me. Hand-me-down from my great uncle, to my father, to me... 1960's Ithaca 16 guage shotgun with trap barrel... I love it.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Handgun: I have a Colt Army Special in 32-20 W.C.F. caliber that I believe was manufactured in 1933.

Shotgun: New Baker, 12 ga., side-by-side, manufactured between 1892-1895.

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Not nearly as old as some of the others here. But the oldest I've got is a J.P. Sauer and Sohns 12 ga side by side, was given to me by my grandpa. I'm not sure of the age, but it's stamped "West Germany" so it's not new.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Mine is a Persian Flintlock. Thought to be late 1600's to early 1700's. It is rifled, but the rifling is cut straight so that it could be fired more without cleaning. The barrel bands are made of silver (yes, they are tarnished:D), and the inlays are all ivory, silver and brass. I couldn't get a pic, but there is some awesome engraving on the flint action itself. I haven't really found anyone that can tell me much about this style or period.

DSCF4047.jpg

DSCF4046.jpg

DSCF4045.jpg

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I have a winchester 1897 from the from the early 1900's it belonged to my great grandfather next is a winchester 22 from 1954 both in good shape and ready to go.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mine is a Persian Flintlock. Thought to be late 1600's to early 1700's. It is rifled, but the rifling is cut straight so that it could be fired more without cleaning. The barrel bands are made of silver (yes, they are tarnished:D), and the inlays are all ivory, silver and brass. I couldn't get a pic, but there is some awesome engraving on the flint action itself. I haven't really found anyone that can tell me much about this style or period.

DSCF4047.jpg

DSCF4046.jpg

DSCF4045.jpg

Actually the straight rifling was to enable the weapon to be able to function with shot as well as ball. It was believed (rightly so I think) that straight rifling would allow the shot pattern to behave less erratic if the shooter opted to load buck or even smaller shot. I would date as late 1700's/early 1800s as rifling came out of Germany and the US adopted earlier than most due to our frontier culture. England followed suit with the experimental "Ferguson Breechloader" and later adopted the Baker rifle in the Napoleonic Wars. It's a very nice piece and the rifling shows that your rifle was made to use and is not a "tourist trade" gun that folks often see for sale. It appears very well made. Congrats on a fine piece of history. I am thinking that it is Spanish made or at least the lock is a copy of a "miquolet lock" which is a Spanish design. I would bet that it was made in the Basque Region of Spain and was made as a trade gun. It's a beaut. If you ever make it to Clarksville stop in the shop and we will peruse a couple of books I have regarding early flintlocks. There is alot of junk out there made for the tourist trade in the Victorian era (Look Chives...I bought this from a bedouin on mine and Lilliths Middle East tour this summer.)

Yours is not one of those weapons. Congrats.

Rick

Falls City Firearms

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have always love the Spencer, One has to love those transitional firarms..

Please what you mean by Modern centerfire block...????

The original breech block is rimfire and shot the same round as the Sharps & Hankins - No. 56 Spencer. Since I still wanted to shoot this and use it for reenactments, I got a centerfire block from S&S. The blanks used for reenactments are resized and modified 32 gauge shotgun shells with 40 grains black powder. The live rounds are cut-down 50-70 Government cases with cast lead bullets.

Top Bottom