• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Ok, as the title states, I am kind of in a dilemma. I am unsure of what to do. I have had a XD .45 with Night Sites for about 2 years now. I carry it October to April (since is it easier to conceal with sweaters and such) and probably 50% of the time the other months, switched off with my smaller conceal carry. Anyways, I have the XD45 w/ NS, al the XD gear, Fobus Paddle, Original Test Fire bullet, etc. Everything from new.

Well, a local dealer has a New Taurus PT 1911 (Only one Mag though) with custom grips. HE wants my gun, and $100 in on a trade. I really do like the way it feels in my hand. Feels great, but I dont know how I feel about it being a .45 single stack. Never had one. But the way I look at it is it I cant do anything with 9, the other 4 wont help, haha. Also, no direct pull. Cocked and safety or have to rack it.

Just wondering what the more experienced persons and everyday owners experience and insight would be. I am torn.

I look forward to the replied and opinions. Thanks Nick

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'd be trading/selling a gun that you KNOW works flawlessly...

For a gun that might not. And is only half the capacity.

If I were you, I wouldn't do it.

-J-

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    CCW guns should have a purpose.

I carry a Colt 1911 ltwt cmdr in .45 acp when we are out of the house.
    I carry a Smith 38 j frame inside the house, or around the yard.

if the PT1911 serves a purpose that the XD doesnt, get it. if it doesnt... dont.

TheGunDen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    Do not go with a gun that looks good, go with one you know will be reliable. You should be worried if the gun will go bang :shoot:because the thief dont care if your gun looks good or not.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know I'm gonna get kicked in the head for saying this; but you have to be careful with Taurus. They are well known for "some work, some don't".
    Ig you are betting the family kester on your pistol, just make sure it works...every time.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have had my S&W mod., 19 aince 1980, I have had my S&W 59, since 1979, and have my S&W 645, for over 7 years, these are my daily carry. Would I buy another gun ????? YES, would I buy a used gun ????? YES. Would I replace my edc, with either one of the above guns ???? NO, NO, No..... Not until I know, that it will go bang, every time I pull the trigger, and am confident, that I can hit what I aim at !!!!! If you want the taurus, go for it..... but put lots of rounds downrange, BEFORE you give up what you KNOW WORKS ..... :twocents:

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Thanks for all the responses thus far. I didnt know there was such a huge issue with Taurus. Call me a novice I guess. I had a PT111Pro a while back and idnt have any issues out of that, thats the only reason I looked at this gun, but I guess being nearsided in thought has its disadvantages. Thanks again, Nick

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I have a PT-1911 - good gun at a good price. I have three brothers who also have PT-1911s - all have been 100% since day one. All of these PT-1911s are shot regularly. One brother has an XD - it's a safe queen. Nothing wrong with it, he just prefers to shoot the PT-1911.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I own a PT1911 that's been flawless. I like it. That said, I wouldn't do it. You give up capacity, add weight and lose $100. Where's the benefit?

I also own an XD9sc. I like it too.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I'd agree with ATM that $100 plus your tritium-equipped XD for a used (however lightly) Taurus PT1911 doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. Did he offer to throw in a "reach-around" ?

I've trained with and carried a 1911 of one sort or another for well over thirty years now. My experience with the XDs has been limited to a couple of mags each through a single example of a 'service' sized 9x19 and a .45 ACP. I have to say that I was very favorably impressed with both. The main reason why I haven't purchased one of my own yet is the polygon rifling. Very nearly 100% of my practice, training and recreational shooting is done with my standard-formula cast bullet reloads. The literature that many, if not all, of the outfits who use this type of rifling include with their pistols seems to contain statements to the effect that the use of this type of ammo is either prohibited or (at the mildest) very strongly discouraged. Just can't rationalize buying a pistol that would require me to either buy a much more expensive component for all my general purpose reloads in the caliber or make a special type just for it.

IIWY, I'd keep your proven XD and start putting a little money aside as you can until you're able to buy a 1911. IME, that's the best way to ensure that the potential impact of a "Murphy" visit is more likely to remain at the "temporary inconvenience" level rather than an "Oh S**t!" experience.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    My mistake then. The one I shot out at CGC must've had awfully shallow grooves or been mighty dirty because the bore sure looked like a Glock does when viewed from the muzzle. Guess the misimpression was compounded when Tony Simone told me the reason that he had the nice, new-looking .45 XD for sale on consignment was because the owner told him it had repeatedly started "choking" after fewer than 50-75 lead bullets had been fired through it.

Really wish I'd bought it now. It had all the standard bonus "goodies" and four extra factory mags for $500.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    The XD is my least favorite polymer pistol. That being said, I'd take any XD over anything that says "Taurus" on the slide. And over any 1911 style pistol, period. Your XD holds 14 rounds of .45 and probably still weighs less than a loaded 1911, which holds only 9 rounds. If you want a 1911, save up and buy a quality make, like a Springfield Armory or Colt. If you are just itching for a different .45, you might try an M&P. The capacity is 10+1, which is still better than a 1911. It's lighter, and mimics that "1911" feel as closely as I've ever felt a polymer pistol do.

:twocents:

What this guy said.

He is 100% right on all counts. +1

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    1st Glock 102
    2nd Smith & Wesson 68
    3rd Springfield 30
    4th Kimber 23
    5th STI 18
    6th Sig Sauer 12
    7th Wilson Combat 10
    8th Colt 7
    9th Beretta 5
    10th= Caspian 4
    10th= Rock River 4

Thats the breakdown of the IDPA nationals shooters from 2009.

Note... no Taurus. Note... these guys shoot... a LOT.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Well, I didnt do the trade, but I did pick one up today. I got a brand new one for cheaper than the used one. I know a lot of people are brand specific or model specific, but Im not. I do really appreciate everyone input. Its nice to find a forum where you actually get responses. Like I said, I picked up a blued NIB Taurus PT1911. Ill let everyone know how it is. But I have ol trusty in the mean time! Thanks again everyone!

Top Bottom