• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    My Border Collie, absolutely one of the most intelligent dogs that I have ever been around. 10 1/2 years old and she never ceases to amaze be with her energy, alertness and loyalty.

It has been said that a 3 year old BC has the intelligence and reasoning of a 7 year old child.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I grew up with Dobies and Rotts and would take either one. Right now we have a couple of boxers, and they are good loyal dogs, but a bit to crack head crazy I think for a SHTF.

Labs and German Shepards would be good as well, IMO.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Currently I have a lab/pit mix. He is solid muscle and looks intimidating. But, I really want another Bullmastiff. Super scary but incredibly loyal and obedient. My favorite dog/friend by far.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    With all respect to pure breed dogs, the smartest dogs we ever had were mixed breeds. They were quick to learn, obedient, loyal and protective. My Dad would say that the smarts weren't breed out of them.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    best dog I can think of would be the one our family had when I was younger. he was a bull mastiff...big dog,very loyal/protective and smart as any dog I have ever owned...but we have owned many mastiffs and he was one of a kind,most of them we have owned where about as smart as a brick wall, so unless I could get one just like "troubles" was Id have to go with a German shepard or shepard mix,they learn well,are very protective/loyal..its just in there nature to be that way,I have never owned or seen a stupid shepard.
    Id also like to have a little dog with me to:rockwoot: Id want a terrier{rat,fox or jack russle} or a dachund{sp?}:D

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    The two I have now will do just fine. One is a bloodhound lab mix. The other is a red tick coonhound that will tree anything.

The lab lays close and protective the red tick would help get food for the table.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'll stick with my current two. First Lucy is a Black lab/golden retriever mix, she's smart, energetic, great guard dog, and nice although she likes to jump up on ya, I'm working on that one, she's a couple years old. Then my other dog is Brownie, one of Lucy's pups. Not sure what the dad is, but she's a bit smaller than Lucy, and has a brundle sort of coat. Also shse doesn't jump as well, sometimes I call her lead butt because of it, lol. She's very sweet and loyal, smart and listens very well to me, unfortunately I recently had to tie her up for getting in the pig pen :noway:. Both dogs would be good hunters and are protective of me and my family.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side

<<< GSD!

I keep an extra bag of food for him (lasts about a month) with my bug out supplies.

This one is getting up in age a bit, about 8+ years... I plan to start looking for another GSD puppy next year. I can't imagine coming home to an empty house with no dog letting me know all is well on the homefront. Over the past 8 years, there have only been one or two times (after long vacations) when I came home without him (since the kennel wasn't open)... Much more comfortable when he clears the house first.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Dobes... if he can guard the BACON he can guard the house!!!
    campfirepics012.jpg

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    Well... I would have to stick with my beagle mix. She looks pretty much like a full blooded beagle, only taller. She has a little hint of a mix that came from her father and now she is a little bit taller. She's not much of a bite dog, but in a SHTF situation, I would know when someone was around, because theres noting like that loud hunting dog howl!

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    In defense of little, "unreal" dogs, they do tend to bark a lot and eat very little. Good for security alerts without draining your food supply. Plus, they won't kill and eat your children when they are starving (unlike some of the dogs listed previously).

For those of you gardening, a good hunting cat would be a real asset. It'll feed itself and protect your food supply.

Therefore, my first animal would be a Cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUfViNQD6ac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L71iky0iVo&feature=related

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    In defense of little, "unreal" dogs, they do tend to bark a lot and eat very little. Good for security alerts without draining your food supply. Plus, they won't kill and eat your children when they are starving (unlike some of the dogs listed previously).

For those of you gardening, a good hunting cat would be a real asset. It'll feed itself and protect your food supply.

Therefore, my first animal would be a Cat.

YouTube - Iris chases deer

YouTube - Cat Versus Bear

The cat chased off the deer and let the bear steal the bag. BAD CAT. About all the cat would be good for is bring rodents to eat. No thanks.

We had a German Shepard that lived across the street from us. That dog would come over and play with me EVERYDAY. It would then come over and sit in our yard until we would come home, essentially guarding our house and she didn't even live with us. Granted we lived in the Country and our neighbor across teh street pretty much kept to himself. But that dog was the smartest dog I ever saw in my life. It saved my life from snakes on 3 different occasions and went and got help for me when I was young and wrecked my bike into the ditch along the road. It would come over and help me build snow caves in the winter.

By far, my first choice is and will always be a German Shepard. Second is a Rott. Third is an Akita. My neighbor has an Akita and that's one really smart dog.

Never again will I own a small dog unless the wife absolutely has to have one.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Lab, husky, German Rottweiler, Akita, Malamute etc

I am leaning Lab for now but I am concerned about having a dog and chickens. Not sure how it will/would go.

Some dogs would be okay with chickens (some would protect them), others, not so much.

I would definitely say no Malamutes with chickens. I had a big one (130 + lbs) that would jump and catch birds on the wing 6 feet in the air...

We have been searching for a "perfect" dog for our family for a year or two now. On paper, we found it (Estrela Mountain Dog).

They are herd guardians and, without a herd, they'll guard your kids, chickens, other animals, etc. They have a reputation for taking life to protect you or giving up theirs trying.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I gotta go with my Redbone. He's always on alert. (at least at night). He's a muscular 75 lbs. And he brings me "presents". (squirrels,rabbits,possums,coons,etc...)

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I would take my dogs. A little Terrier mix who brings me fresh rabbits from time to time and would notify me if anything was coming. And my Collie/Shepard mix whom I adore! :)

But if I had the room to get dogs specifically for SHTF I would have to get a GS and then a Mastiff. A Pit Bull would be up there on the list too, if I was able. They are great dogs and if trained well...smart as crap!

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Two dogs - Belguim Malinois and European blood line German Shepherd. Both are very loyal, fiercely protective, and easily trained. They are also hardy, can handle relatively extreme temps, are very alert, and will take a bullet for you. Mals have problem solving capabilities. They are both absolutely focused. It's your job to get them to focus on the right thing.

Top Bottom