• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Just curious if anyone else get bothered when you post something for sale in the classifieds and give some one a really good deal, only to see it posted again a few months later for close to 100% markup on what you sold it for?

I get the bartering that goes on but I tend to not post anything I resell for more than what I paid for it. If I know I am gonna be asked to take lower I might start it 20 bucks above what I know I'll take.

Again...I understand that you get what you can and posibly mods have been done after the fact. But seeing stuff I sold at a good deal be jacked up irks me....I could just be a gruff

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Once you sell it, it belongs to the buyer to do as he pleases. Personally when it happens to me I'm happy for the guy because the next time I have an xyz for sale I'll refer to his sale to justify my new higher price or to show what a good deal I have for somebody.

I just sold a motorcycle to a guy for a giveaway price, I'm hoping he can sell it next spring for a tidy profit. I got what I wanted for it and I hope he does the same. No problem.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    People can sell something at whatever price they desire. But, if it's a used product, I usually ask if it was purchased on INGO and then search for the old ad. I then use that price point to bargain. I have only had to do this once, but I still don't mind allowing someone to profit from their investment; however, it's still my choice how much of a profit I am willing to allow.

Looking at it from a different perspective, I have gotten a couple of deals I wouldn't dare pass along to the open forum. I believe the deal would not be appreciated and the member who sold it to me would feel a bit disrespected and used. If I absolutely needed the cash, I would give the original seller first dibs and let him know the cash is needed, but that's just me.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    If the buyer paid for the item, it's theirs, and it's no one's business but theirs what they do with it.

I wonder, do the same people who get bent out of shape over a buyer turning a profit, offer that person some additional cash when they sell it for a significant loss?

Didn't think so. All it is is seller's remorse.

Not your item anymore = MYOB.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If the buyer paid for the item, it's theirs, and it's no one's business but theirs what they do with it.

This.

It might still irk me on some level, but at the end of the day we agreed on a price and the deal was made.

Back in high school I had a really nice custom car. It had all of the emblems and badges intentionally "shaved" off. When I sold it, the kid who bought it started telling me how he was going to put custom colored emblems on it. :ugh: Yeah, it irked me, but it was his and I had my money.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The only time it bothers me is when I see it back up for sale in a manner that it's clear that it's being flipped for profit. It makes me feel like an INGO member has taken advantage of my willingness to offer a good deal to make a couple bucks for himself at my expense. That's just tacky. I try never to resell anything I've bought here for more than what I paid for it. However, I also recognize that sometimes the value of things increases over time.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

I wonder, do the same people who get bent out of shape over a buyer turning a profit, offer that person some additional cash when they sell it for a significant loss?

Didn't think so. All it is is seller's remorse.

Not your item anymore = MYOB.

I personally hope no one ever gives you a good deal on INGO again. Unlike others who posted you had to go that extra step.

Minding my own business would have been if I named names and tried to make an example out of someone. It was a blanket statmement and as the seller of these items...I think It is my business. When some negotiates down on an item and gives you reasons like...times are tough...I had this bill come up and you give someone a good deal, thats what bothers me.

Call me crazy but I assume that forums like this are to help the little guys get a leg up ..... be able to enjoy our passion be it hunting, shooting, knives.

I could have held out for months on end and gotten a higher price...that is my choice just like theirs is to resell at a premium. But I enjoy giving members good deals in hopes that it adds to their enjoyment. The thought of someone killing a deer with my old gun and saying to their buddies man I am so pumped I got this gun and what an awesome deal..I could ahve never afforded it otherwise appeals to me.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    The only time it bothers me is when I see it back up for sale in a manner that it's clear that it's being flipped for profit. It makes me feel like an INGO member has taken advantage of my willingness to offer a good deal to make a couple bucks for himself at my expense. That's just tacky. I try never to resell anything I've bought here for more than what I paid for it. However, I also recognize that sometimes the value of things increases over time.

I think you got my feelings across better than I originally stated them

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    As a frequent buyer/seller, I gotta say one thing: If I don't like a gun after shooting it, I get rid of it. I know people that keep guns after they bought them that hate them, but can't sell them for some reason. I don't get it. But, I am not an FFL and understand that. But I will try to get what I think is fair market value on it.

If I get a deal, great. If I sell it, I will sell it for a price I determine. I have known a BUNCH of people that bought stuff I sold for a good price ($380 dollar Glocks, etc...) only to see them turned around immediantly for $450 and they get it. I hope they got their money's worth in fuel and such. Irk me? A touch.

Had a guy buy a cobbled 1911 that had a poor barrel from me, with the full disclosure that it needed a new barrel (got it from a "gunsmith" that dremeled the barrel and left little to no chamber support). Sold it for nothing as a "parts gun". Guy bought it, sprayed some fufu OD green paint on it, added some cheapo thumb safety and sold it for more. ALOT more and got it. Lo and behold, the guy he sold it to some months later (after exchanging several hands) is coming to me screaming that it blew the mag out of the gun due to lack of chamber support. Am I mad? Spewing... Guy kept the crap barrel in it, only to flip it.

Another 1911 I built up (proper parts) and sold later to loosen up funds for another project was sold to a similar individual (southern Indianapolis and further). Bought it with the full disclosure that it was built with the intention of bullseye velocity only ammo. VERY light recoil spring, trigger that broke at 2 1/4 lbs. Fire full power, you get hammer follow and batters the frame. Guy acknowledged that. I put it up for what I had in it and that wasn't much. Guy turns around and sells it to another guy for much more, but then, oh no! It jams and beats the lugs when they fire +P through it. Another guy screaming at me about it. I showed the PMs about the gun to him to get him off my case. I got that gun back later (wheeler and dealers finally got it back into my posession after 3-4 people had at it). Absolutely destroyed and had to put significant money back into it to rehab it. Mad? yes.

I am a 'wheeler and dealer huckle-$%^&' as some folks would put it, only in that if I don't like the gun, I sell it. But I do not buy it for the sake of "flipping". There are PLENTY of folks from south of Indy that do that... :(

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I agree that once the deal is made it no longer matters. If you don't like that, don't sell it. If you have sellers remorse then try to buy it back or find another. If the buyer only purchased to flip it, then so be it. It's his/her choice. Ultimately once you sell ownership it shouldn't bother you anymore.

The only part that bothers me is when someone "scams" another with junk being sold as quality. As mentioned above.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    I personally hope no one ever gives you a good deal on INGO again. Unlike others who posted you had to go that extra step.

Not sure what this "extra step" thing is, but feel free to hope into one hand and crap into the other and see what fills up first. That's how much a whiny seller's opinion concerns me.

Minding my own business would have been if I named names and tried to make an example out of someone. It was a blanket statmement and as the seller of these items...I think It is my business. When some negotiates down on an item and gives you reasons like...times are tough...I had this bill come up and you give someone a good deal, thats what bothers me.

And you're 1000% wrong. If I satisfied my end of our deal, it's my item. Hell, I don't even consider it "the item formerly owned by XXX". I paid for it, I own it, and I'll do with it as I damn well please. If you don't like it, you should have kept it.

Call me crazy but I assume that forums like this are to help the little guys get a leg up ..... be able to enjoy our passion be it hunting, shooting, knives.

The forums are here to buy and sell, nothing more, nothing less. Maybe you should start your own classifieds where you can dictate how sellers set their pricing.

I could have held out for months on end and gotten a higher price....

BUT YOU DIDN'T.... YOU AGREED TO A DEAL AND TOOK THE PAYMENT... THAT'S THE END OF YOUR INVOLVEMENT IN THAT ITEM. PERIOD.

...that is my choice just like theirs is to resell at a premium. But I enjoy giving members good deals in hopes that it adds to their enjoyment. The thought of someone killing a deer with my old gun and saying to their buddies man I am so pumped I got this gun and what an awesome deal..I could ahve never afforded it otherwise appeals to me.

That's a great sentiment... just stop trying to justify holding the entire board to your opinion as to how private individuals conduct their transactions.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've had stuff I've sold pop up a couple weeks later at a much higher price. As others have said, it's theirs.

Usually when I sell something, I put a low price on it so it moves quickly. If they want to mark it way up and sit on it for a couple weeks waiting for 'their' price, fine by me.

That said, I would be pissed if someone bartered me way down on what was already a good price and then flipped it a week or two later, I haven't had that happen though.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    You make a deal and stick to your deal, good for you. It now belongs to a new owner who is free to do with it as he chooses.

Would you be just as upset if the new owner left the gun in the bed of his truck and let it rust. Or are you just upset that he sold it for a higher price than you?

I am not trying to be mean or cynical I am just trying to figure out where your emotional attachment is, is it to the gun or to the money that changes hands.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    IMO it's ridiculous to get bent about something like this. If I wasn't happy with the price I got, I shouldn't have sold it. If the buyer sells it because he/she thinks he/she can make a profit, or because he/she decided it's not the right gun, or whatever, not my business or my problem. If he makes a profit, good for him. I frequently buy guns to try them out, find out they're not for me and sell them -- why shouldn't they? If I see someone selling a gun for a lower-than-market price, I figure there's a reason -- maybe they need the money quickly, whatever, their business, not mine. If I sell it or trade it or melt it into cufflinks, that's my business, not theirs. The only exception I'd personally make is a "friend deal" where you sell/trade a FRIEND something at a really great price -- but that's a whole different arrangement, IMO.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If I see an item on here for a good deal I will buy it even if I am not really looking for it. I will play with it, if I like it I will keep it. If I dont, I will resell it.

I don't get why people get pissy about what someone else does with a gun after you sold it. If you aren't satisfied with the deal to begin with, don't sell it and wait for a better one to come along.

I see a helluva lot more ads listing things for new price or more than I do for ones with great deals. My ads usually sell within a day or two because I price things how they should be. I don't list a $300 Taurus 24/7 for $500 like someone posted in the classifieds the other day.

If I sell something and someone can sit on it for a month or two and get $30 more, fine with me. My time is worth more than that, I want the $$ to move on and buy what ever else I want. On the same hand I don't buy something unless its at least a reasonable deal so I can at least come close to making my money back. Sometimes you can make a little more, sometimes you lose a little. Its life, move on.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It doesn't really bother me. It's a free market and people can do as they please.

I've bought things before that I didn't really need/want that was just too good of a deal to pass up. The person/persons needed quick cash and made offers I couldn't refuse. Even though they needed the money fast, I still didn't low-ball; I paid what they wanted. I still have some of the items, but some of them I flipped for a decent profit after I decided it wasn't for me.

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    The forums are here to buy and sell, nothing more, nothing less. Maybe you should start your own classifieds where you can dictate how sellers set their pricing.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this statement!

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Looking at it from a different perspective, I have gotten a couple of deals I wouldn't dare pass along to the open forum. I believe the deal would not be appreciated and the member who sold it to me would feel a bit disrespected and used. If I absolutely needed the cash, I would give the original seller first dibs and let him know the cash is needed, but that's just me.

^^^ This ^^^

If I absolutely needed the cash, I would give the original seller first dibs

Especially this :+1:

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I bought a used bow from the OP at a great price. It helped me get into archery on a budget. I would never put it back up for a profit. That's just me. Some people seemed to take offense of this concept? Oh yea, and everything Que said.

Top Bottom