Your store bought honey is probably fake.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's the bee's knees that separates it from the rest.

giphy.gif

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We get our honey from MyHoneysHoney. Local has helped my wife's allergies. We prefer to support local. And when you are in a bind, knowing your local can pay off. (Couple years ago after the really hard winter when hives were wiped out, they found honey for us to make our jam even though they were about out).

Oneto1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2019
    North central
    We get our honey from MyHoneysHoney. Local has helped my wife's allergies. We prefer to support local. And when you are in a bind, knowing your local can pay off. (Couple years ago after the really hard winter when hives were wiped out, they found honey for us to make our jam even though they were about out).

Was going to ask if anyone else had experience with local honey helping seasonal allergies. How long did your wife take honey to notice an improvement?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Was going to ask if anyone else had experience with local honey helping seasonal allergies. How long did your wife take honey to notice an improvement?

I noticed a slight improvement for my allergies after a couple weeks. But I'm not a fan of honey per se, and found it a hassle to either choke down a spoonful or find something to use it to sweeten.

But it must be raw local honey. The crap they filter out that makes it cloudy is what is beneficial to us allergy sufferers.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Read that a couple of weeks ago. I like honey and use it regularly. Lately, I have been buying Hunters Honey Farm products at Rural King. The Apple Works also carry Hunters products but they price them somewhat higher than RK. Hoping Hunters stuff is better than most.

Kokomo Rural King has “Hardies Honey” he is a Kokomo area producer. Good stuff.

cornbelt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Vincennes
    We used to keep bees. It was pretty interesting noting the different flavors from different plants. Melon honey tasted like cucumbers, soybean honey tasted like soybeans. Buckwheat honey is real dark brown and sugars quickly. I used to love eating big chunks of comb. As to allergies, I became allergic to the honey. But it was fun while it lasted.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I started keeping bees a few years ago. For me it is primarily a hobby, getting honey, beeswax and propolis is just a bonus. I just got done splitting a hive about an hour ago. It's a hobby that can be very satisfying and also very frustrating at times, but I enjoy it.

The processed stuff that they have in most stores shouldn't even be called honey. I watched a program about counterfeit honey coming from China. They banned imports from China and then nearby countries started sending massive amounts of "honey". It's so valuable that there are bound to be unscrupulous people taking advantage of the situation.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have been seeing this and it is not a panic for me. Honey is something I put on biscuits occasionally. I do not follow the health food crowd and as someone said earlier, "Health Sugar?"

Your milk is pasteurized too, so...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have been seeing this and it is not a panic for me. Honey is something I put on biscuits occasionally. I do not follow the health food crowd and as someone said earlier, "Health Sugar?"

Your milk is pasteurized too, so...

The extra goo in there from local honey may be beneficial as to allergies, but your liver doesn't know the difference between honey and refined cane sugar.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like honey, but don't use it quickly enough to keep it from solidifying (crystalizing). They say you can just heat it up to break down the crystals, but I've not had much luck with that. Maybe I've been getting the counterfeit stuff.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I like honey, but don't use it quickly enough to keep it from solidifying (crystalizing). They say you can just heat it up to break down the crystals, but I've not had much luck with that. Maybe I've been getting the counterfeit stuff.
    The trick is to not heat it up too much. Too much heat will destroy the beneficial enzymes.
    If it's in a glass mason jar or similar container, the easiest way is to bring a pot of water to a boil and then turn off the heat. After turning the heat off, submerge the mason jar of crystalized honey. This should get rid of most if not all of the crystalized part. The process can be repeated if necessary once it has cooled to room temperature.
    If it's in a plastic container, it takes a lower temperature sustained over a longer duration to avoid melting the container. I once saw where someone had used foam insulation sheets, a small heater and a thermostat to make what was basically an incubator to store honey in to prevent it from crystallizing before he put it out for sale. I've been thinking about making something similar, I just haven't had the time.
    In general, the processed stuff that they call "honey" is less likely to crystalize. Real raw honey will crystalize much sooner. The warmer you keep it, the slower it will crystalize.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    The trick is to not heat it up too much. Too much heat will destroy the beneficial enzymes.
    If it's in a glass mason jar or similar container, the easiest way is to bring a pot of water to a boil and then turn off the heat. After turning the heat off, submerge the mason jar of crystalized honey. This should get rid of most if not all of the crystalized part. The process can be repeated if necessary once it has cooled to room temperature.
    If it's in a plastic container, it takes a lower temperature sustained over a longer duration to avoid melting the container. I once saw where someone had used foam insulation sheets, a small heater and a thermostat to make what was basically an incubator to store honey in to prevent it from crystallizing before he put it out for sale. I've been thinking about making something similar, I just haven't had the time.
    In general, the processed stuff that they call "honey" is less likely to crystalize. Real raw honey will crystalize much sooner. The warmer you keep it, the slower it will crystalize.

Top Bottom