• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I am new to reloading. Am wondering if anyone could give me some info on the ultrasonic case cleaners. My husband has a tumbler, not a huge fan of that. I have read pros and cons about these cleaners.

What is your experience? Are they worth the money? Thanks for your input.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a cheap Harbor Freight one. It was pretty much a waste of money. Sorry I can't reaaly say about the good ones. Just don't get the Harbor Freight one for brass :)

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Im am wondering this as well. midwayusa has the hornady one on sale for $80 this month I believe. My house is small and the last thing I need making more noise is a tumbler.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have often wondered, could I take 4 or 5 ..... uh... things that vibrate and hang them over the edge of a bucket full of cleaning fluid and see what happens the next day?

Would the fluid damage the rubber / latex? most likely.

hmm.

There has to be a cheap way of doing this.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I also commented in the other thread, which covers a lot of ground.

I use the Hornady Magnum unit. (I think they might be coming up with an even bigger unit early next year?) But if you're going to get one, it seems to be worth it to use one with a temperature control. They work better when the water is hot.

If you're worried about noise, be aware that the ultra sonic makes noise too. Not nearly as much as a tumbler, but some. Though it's white noise and is easy to tune out.

As I said in the other thread, they're fine for cleaning brass, especially primer pockets. But they are great for gun parts.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Take standard ultrasonic cleaner. Use water and Dawn dish detergent. Cases are clean in about 8 minutes and "completely" clean in about 30 minutes. "Completely" meaning that almost all trace of black residue is gone from inside and primer pocket.
    Now, you have to rinse and dry your cases.
    Take standard tumbler and 20/40 corn. Cases are clean in 15-30 minutes. Even if you leave cases in for 24 hours, the black residue, that causes absolutely no problems, will still be there.
    Out of the tumbler, you will have fairly shiny cases.
    Out of US cleaner, you will have clean cases.
    Both activities are far in excess of any cleaning needed for perfect function and accuracy.
    Problem I see on several US cleaners is that they only run for 8 minutes, max, and you would have to keep turning them back on.
    The use of citric acid/LemoShine speeds up cleaning.
    I don't use any high acid content cleaner as the acid can leach out zinc from the brass.
    Also, in general, don't go for the largest tumbler/cleaner. You should be cleaning your cases after each range session, so 2-300 cases should be all you need to clean at one time.
    Tumblers required sorted brass, of the cases tend to trap smaller cases.
    US cleaners do not require sorted brass, but you will need to sort the brass at some point.
    Simply putting cases into boiling water with Dawn, turning off the heat, and letting them soak overnight will do a lot of what the US cleaners do--and you probably already have a pot to boil water in.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Sorry for the repeat thread. Apparently my search skills need refined.

Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions and links. I currently do the hot water/Dawn soaking method, so I really don't mind the drying time. Since I am a perfectionist, I clean the primer pockets by hand. I know this freaks my husband out, too.:D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom