• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Would you take an albino deer if you saw one? Buck or doe?
    I saw one last week while squirrel hunting and then got it a few times on the trail cam. Its small, but bigger than the other fawns that were with it, smaller than the other does. It behaved like a juvenile. I know if I don't take more than likely someone else will. I would really like for my daughter to get a shot at it, but who knows it could be gone before gun season.
    Would you use a tag on one or give it a chance?

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Yes I would. Absolutely!
    I would take them out of the gene pool.
    They typically are at a disadvantage compared to a normally colored deer.
    Genetically inferior.
    Feel good legislation has banned killing a albino deer in the state of Il, but its legal in In.
    I hope your daughter has the opportunity to kill that deer!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I used to have a family of Albinos on my land I'd see regularly. Someone killed them off a few years back.
    I only shoot what I'll eat except varmints etc, and the Albinos didn't seem like something I'd want to eat. So I guess "NO".

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Because the deer population is so large in Indiana, take it. I don't think there are any laws against taking one but I could be wrong. There are quite a few out there from what I can gather. I used to live down in Posey Co. For fun we used to drive through the State Park and the backroads at night and "shine" deer. Of course we weren't hunting, but just to see how many deer there were was a shocker. (All corn fed too) We always saw at least 1 or 2 albino.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    My grandfather used to have one a long time ago as a pet when I was about 4 years old. It was neat to see. Then someone cut the fence and they all got out. I think I would take it just to keep the gene pool on the up and up.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Not against it. I just wouldnt do it. There are plenty of normal deer to shoot. I fiqure its had a pretty tough life as it is and I kinda have a soft spot for the underdog. Now, if I couldnt harvest a normal one and was hungry.... no more Mr nice guy. And the dog is next.
    I also elect to not shoot small bucks. I want them to grow up to be monsters. You can only have so many deer mounts and after 30 + years they start to accumulate.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I would. Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer.

On a related note: I have a friend in Winamac who used to have an albino raccoon and a 100% black raccoon on either side of his fireplace hearth. Makes a cool display.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Would you take an albino deer if you saw one? Buck or doe?
    I saw one last week while squirrel hunting and then got it a few times on the trail cam. Its small, but bigger than the other fawns that were with it, smaller than the other does. It behaved like a juvenile. I know if I don't take more than likely someone else will. I would really like for my daughter to get a shot at it, but who knows it could be gone before gun season.
    Would you use a tag on one or give it a chance?

I agree with others on this. Being an albino deer isn't a good thing and they really need to be removed as they corrupt the breeding and genes of the deer in the area. If you get the chance, drop it.

MJ45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Im not a racist. I shoot em all, white, brown, black or whatever other color deer might be out there. They're all red on the inside.

Top Bottom