Your Thoughts on Rock Island Compact 45?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've not owned a Rock Island, but I've heard good things about them...supposedly excellent gun for the price.....if I remember right, the plants they are produced out of used to produce American contract weapons.......it's a 1911, kinda hard to F that up

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the input. The gun is actually made in the Phillipines (just like my wife;)), so it probably has good quality. I will be looking at the Lafayette Gun show this weekend, but I doubt I will find exactly what I want. I've got a local place that can order for a little over cost too.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    I'm on the hunt for one of these too. I'm really diggin the looks, and price for the RIA Officers model! Just if I could find one around here... Bud's has them for around $420, but I'd rather buy local, then buying it over the net.

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    I'm on the hunt for one of these too. I'm really diggin the looks, and price for the RIA Officers model! Just if I could find one around here... Bud's has them for around $420, but I'd rather buy local, then buying it over the net.
    pss has them for 409 +tax. I almost got it, but opted for the two tone full size for 419.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    The Rock, is very nice! I got the tact verison, 5" barrel. Just change the grips and have a blast. Well worth the cost. imo You may try it. My friends that have shot it are now considering getting 1

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    The only downside to the Rock Island is that it is a heavier gun then most compact 1911's. The higher end one use alloy, whereas the RI uses steel. Just something to keep in mind. I have never heard of anyone NOT liking their rock island 1911. A lot of people start with one, and slowly over time customize it with whatever bells and whistles they think they need. A range report and pics are mandatory once you get one!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's a very good price at PSS. You won't get one that cheap over the net . They are heavy and if you are thinking CC it will, literlly, weigh you down. But, they are well made and will shoot what ever you feed them. I have the tactical and think it is a great pistol.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    My buddy that I often go shooting with has one. I have shot it, and it's definitely adequate and accurate. It is not a high end gun and all that that entails, but it is a good little carry piece. I've never witnessed a malfunction, and he says he has never had one. The gun in question probably has around 2,000 rounds down the pipe, so not a huge amount but enough to say it's been put through it's paces.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Summit Gun Broker has them for $399, in case anyone is interested. I have dealt with them before and had a good experience.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Thats what comes to my mind when you say Rock Island Compact 45.

dz6l8o.gif

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I have a rock island 5" nickle plated G.I. and love it. Only issue I had was magazines it came with were junk and it needed alittle feed ramp work. Ther customer sevice is great one phone call and new mag was sent right to me. I have been looking at the citadel 1911's imported by leagacy international made in the same factory i think but seem to be a little higher priced

Top Bottom