• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I got a friend who always tells me his Winchester mod #70 will shoot any ammo he finds for it. He will walk into Wallyworld and ask for ammo for his 30-06. when I ask him about what grain does it shoot, and he always tells me it does not matter as long as it's 30-06. I tried to explain that there were so many factors that I could explain. But to make it visual, I told him I had the same gun in a 243wssm and I just happen to have some ammo left over from my test, which I do with every new gun I purchase. So here is the target I used to how him. Do not look at the center target. Just the four outer ones ones was shot.

2011-06-29_23-18-26_330.jpg

1. The cross hairs were put on the center of each target.
    2. The gun was zeroed at 225 yards with 100 grain ammo.
    3. The target was shot at 100 yards from a nice bench rest.
    4. The small squares on the target are 1"

Notice the top left target was shot with 87grain bullets and the the top left was shot with 75 grain. You can see the pattern has a wider spread with the 75 grain bullet. You'll notice the 87 grain is starting to gather closer together. Also notice the 87 grain was approx. 2" low, but still almost centered. While the 75 grain is only about 1-1/4 low and almost centered.

Next, is the bottom left target. This was shot with 55 grain bullets. But look at the spread of the pattern. The gun does not shoot 55 grain bullets well, and the pattern is unacceptable. It shoot them about 11-/2" to the right of center also. Kinda just throwing them at the target.

Next, look at the bottom right target. This was shot with 100 grain bullets.
    Notice how tight the group is and how it's centered. Yes, it's a little high of the center, but that was the 225 yard zero and it was shot at 100yards.

See how not only does bullet weight affect the grouping of a gun, but also, you cannot sight in with one bullet weight an take another bullet weight and go hunt with it over 200 yards.
    The weight, velocity, twist, and bullet length are critical in every gun made.
    I hope this post helps some guys wanting to shoot longer ranges and explains why you should buy a box of every weight bullet for your caliber and go have some testing fun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Perhaps he considers the "group" such as in the center of the paper to be adequate? If that's the case, then bullet weight may not matter to him?

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I really thought this was going to be a story about how me being fat would stop me from being an accurate shooter. LOL

Great analysis! thank you very much. It was quite informative. :rockwoot:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I noticed the same thing with by bolt action .223. Bullet weight/type can make a huge difference in accuracy. My Stevens 200 likes lighter bullets...68/69 gr. match ammo doesn't shoot that great. Hornady factory loaded V-MAX ammo shoots into nice tight groups all day long. Boat tailed Nosler Ballistic Tips will open the groups up some...so I guess it likes flat base bullets. "Testing" loads for accuracy is only half the fun of getting a new gun dialed in.:D

Top Bottom