• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I am in the market for a small 22 as a Christmas present. The youth in question is 11, but pretty small for his age. I'd like to find something fairly small and light, but not as small as the crickets and rascal type rifles. I'd prefer it feel a little more substantial than those as well. At this late stage in the game it would be helpful if it were available locally.

Below are some I've been considering. If anyone has any experience with them, or could recommend some other options, I'd appreciate it.

The Marlin XT-22Y. It is 33" long and has a 12" LOP. This is about the size I think I want. I fondled one in the store today and it seemed like it would fit the bill. I saw it at Gander Mountain for a bit over $200. So I'm sure its available for less elsewhere.
    Marlin Model XT-22Y

The Savage Model 42. This knocks the first shotgun and first rifle off the list in the same gun. It has fairly fine, plastic sights that I'm not too crazy about. They seem like they would be less than durable, and possibly difficult to adjust. I don't know if he'd be crazy about a single shot, but I think the combo gun is really cool. I believe its about 35" long, but has a 13.5" LOP which may be approaching the too large size. Most of the full-size 22 guns I looked at today were 14-14.5 I think. I expect that would be a little long for him. It does look like the recoil buffer comes off. So if there is a flat plate alternative that fits in its place, it could shorten that up.
    Savage Arms

Savage also makes a Mark II Youth model. I have not personally handled one of these, but the photos make it look pretty nice. It comes in a bit longer at 37". Significantly longer than the Marlin I liked above. I don't know the LOP on these. It might be on the higher end of the size range for my purposes.
    Savage Arms

It would also be fun if it would accomodate a scope at some point down the road.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with these and kids, or has other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I bought the CZ Scout 452 for each of my nephews. I liked it so much that I bought one for Uncle Kirk.

I would think they would have them on the shelf at a box store. Hill of Geese or the like.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I took my 10/22 with a bull barrel and at least temporarily replaced my hogue overmold stock for a Knoxx axiom adjustable stock. Fits the rugrats perfectly now, and I can still shoot it too. When they get older I'll switch back to the Hogue. Considering I couldnt buy a youth rifle for $70 to my door, this was a nice band aid solution.

So the best bang for the buck I think is to buy a 10/22, add the Axiom, then when he gets older you can put the factory stock back on it and he'll have a rifle for life.

Knoxx® Axiom R/F Ruger® 10/22® Rifle Stock - BLACKHAWK!

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I second (third?) the CZ452 Scout....if they still make it. Some changes in their line recently. I say visit or call Bradis and see if they will order one for you.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    The Cz's might be better but I was in a hurry and picked up a Ruger American Rimfire Compact for the grandkids. They like it. Shoots straight.
    Uses 10/22 magazines.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Cz's might be better but I was in a hurry and picked up a Ruger American Rimfire Compact for the grandkids. They like it. Shoots straight.
    Uses 10/22 magazines.

You can get the compact version and in a few years get the full size stock extension if desired.

Or, the CZ mentioned is great and a great price compared to the rest of the line. If you can't find it in indy, Whittakers in Owensboro, ky usually has them at great prices and they ship.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I looked for a CZ at a few places, including the Hill of Geese (who had no CZ 22's to be fondled) and was unable to handle one. For those who have one, do they have a pretty smooth bolt? Easy to cycle and not too much resistance when turning them down to lock?

Some of these little bolt 22's don't seem too smooth when I'm playing with them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I looked for a CZ at a few places, including the Hill of Geese (who had no CZ 22's to be fondled) and was unable to handle one. For those who have one, do they have a pretty smooth bolt? Easy to cycle and not too much resistance when turning them down to lock?

Some of these little bolt 22's don't seem too smooth when I'm playing with them.

You get what you pay for. Bear in mind these are relatively inexpensive and designed for the first time shooter to outgrow, not a seasoned pro who is looking for a tack driver with an action like butter to pass down in his estate. :twocents:

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

I only have about 100 rounds though my 455, the more it gets shot and the more the action gets cycled, the smoother it gets. From the factory they often feel a little gritty, doesn't matter 455 or 452

Top Bottom