• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I have searched for this answer but haven't found one, so please do not "flame on". When I was a young hunter in Georgia we would often (legally) hunt squirrel with a .22 handgun (Ruger MKII). Now that I am hunting with my 16 year old son, I was wondering, in Indiana can a youth hunt with a handgun? Or can a 16 year old hunter carry a handgun while hunting with an adult? We hunt public land. Long story short, was contemplating getting him a .22 handgun for Christmas but want him to be able to actually use it and not only at the range.

Thanks.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    IC 35-47-10-1Application and exemptionsSec. 1. (a) This section does not apply to section 7 of this chapter.(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), this chapter does notapply to the following:(1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or afirearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the childduring the course.(2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for targetshooting at an established range or in an area where thedischarge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:(A) a qualified firearms instructor; or(B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is atthe range.(3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving theuse of a firearm or participating in or practicing for aperformance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) ofthe Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of aperformance or an adult who is involved in the competition orperformance.(4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid licenseissued to the child under IC 14-22.(5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or froman activity described in this section.(6) A child who:(A) is on real property that is under the control of the child'sparent, an adult family member of the child, or the child'slegal guardian; and(B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardianto possess a firearm.(7) A child who:(A) is at the child's residence; and(B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult familymember of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possessa firearm.(c) This chapter applies to a child, and to a person who providesa firearm to a child, if the child:(1) is ineligible to purchase or possess a firearm for any reasonother than the child's age; or(2) if the child intends to use a firearm to commit a crime.As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.1-1995,SEC.78; P.L.203-1996, SEC.2; P.L.152-2014, SEC.7.

I believe (4) and (6) answer your question and allow possession of the handgun by a minor.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    DNR states one may carry a handgun without a ltch while hunting, It does not address age. With that said, I would contact DNR to find out for sure and not just ask on the internet. "Handgun
    While hunting, an individual may carry a handgun without a handgun license in accordance with Indiana Code 35-47-2-1 section 5. C. at iga.IN.gov. It is not legal to take a deer with a handgun except during the firearms, special antlerless, and muzzleloader seasons, and in compliance with DNR regulations."

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Thanks guys, both answered the question. Not sure why I didn't go immediately to the IC (in my defense it has been over 15 years since I was in law enforcement). I was looking at hunting regulations rather than the IC.

Thanks.

Top Bottom