• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The only shooting events they have participated in were this past summer at our local club, and ole dad was the official. They just started shooting on a regular basis this year. Eventually they will probably be shooting competitively at some point. As I myself shot informal practice PPC matches as a kid.

The reason I ask is I shoot USPSA on a regular basis, as well as some other pistol events throughout the year
    And I do not see any "discouragement" you mention. I started shooting in the organization in 2014 and that has not been my experience, in fact quite to opposite.

More over the only time I see adults get their feelings hurt is from unsafe gun handling and get called on it.

I'm with Sporter. I started shooting last year as well. We shot over 30 matches this year. I have seen nothing but shooters helping other shooters.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm not saying they go out of their way to show discouragement towards adults... But that there is more patience and leniency shown towards children. In most cases, they were 'helpful'. In rare cases, they weren't.
    Perhaps it's because 'kids don't know any better' vs adults who 'should know better'. IMO noobs don't know any better either. And that's all I am saying.
    There is an awful lot that an adult can comprehend, and kids don't. Perhaps some feel that they can be more brunt because of this difference.
    It's not my intent to call out any specific program... But perhaps some can reflect on their handling of students and my observations.
    If need be, I'd be happy to contact them directly regarding this... calling them out on a public forum? No thanks.
    My point being... the OP's kid should be just FINE in this regard.

i will generally offer advice to juniors, esp the very basics that make a big difference in score. If I see a safety thing I'll talk to them out of ear shot of everyone else. I don't go through the the parent, but if I see a repeated issue I might mention to the parent as something to watch and help them work on. Yes, I give more leniency and patience to the Jrs (not ignoring DQs of course).

I don't generally give advise to newb adults except on safety issues and then I do the same of trying to do it away from others. Adults are often not receptive to advice given. If they ask, I will help. Several folks have asked for pointers over the years and for those folks if I see something I'll point it out or give my 2c.

An outisde observer or newb might see the banter and discussion that happens between long time friends and think we aren't a friendly bunch.

-rvb

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    My nephew is 10 (I think). He's only shot 3 or 4 times. We brought him to a Steel Challenge match and had him watch and paint between shooters. After it was over, we left one stage up and let him practice on it to get the hang of things. He had a lot of fun and was safe. Shooting with the red dot made it pretty easy for him. Afterwards we shot paper with irons. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can teach both "precision" and "action" shooting. Mixing it up helps keep their attention. :yesway:

[video=youtube_share;zxFOJ_AKiv0]http://youtu.be/zxFOJ_AKiv0[/video]

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    To be honest, I have heard people say that some of the shooting sports are not friendly to youth, but we haven't seen that yet for say, sure you may get the occasional a$$, but as a whole weather it's been USPSA, 3gun, or steel challenge everyone has been great. We had one RO who could have DQ'd Nick for touching the target during scoring(in Nicks defense the target had been scored and the RO had not moved on to the next set) but he simply pulled Nick aside and used it as a teaching moment for him. The only thing we have really come across is some competitors not paying attention to having a jr on a squad and have inappropriate conversations. Nick is used to hearing some of the things and I don't have a problem with it until it gets to be to much and then I will usually talk to that individual privately, if that doesn't work then I will address it with the RO. But we have had a positive experience for the past year as a whole.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a 12 year old that is really showing some interest in doing some competitive handgun shooting. I am more excited about it than he is, I am sure. A couple questions for the masses.

1. What are the processes of getting a youth shooter active in something like the uspsa or similar? Just sign up and shoot? He has the basic safety stuff down and handles firearms quite well.

2. He enjoys shooting my G19 but would like to get his "own" gun eventually. As much as I would love to keep him on the Glock platform, I would rather get him into a platform that he shoots best. Are there platforms to avoid for competition? He will stay with 9mm.

3. I went to parabellum for the newbie course last month and it was spectacular. I would like to bring him and the wife to the next one if at all possible. Are there any ranges or clubs that offer uspsa or similar matches closer to east central indiana? Greenfield or carthage area.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry but I didn't read the other responses.

1) Start him in Steel Challenge. No movement and the immediate satisfaction of hitting a ringing plate. In fact bring him the match at South Central Gun Club in Freetown. Youth shoots free and he can squad with my 11 year old son.

2) Tell me you are coming and I will pack an M&P and Walther PPQ for him. Let him try all three guns. I bet there is a Glock 17 or 34 floating around. Or I can find him a Glock in my safe.

3) Freetown is a long way from you. Atlanta or Marion County are closer.

Top Bottom