• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Does a child have to take a hunters ed. course to hunt on parents land that they both live on property? No license needed? Special youth hunt in sept. or regular deer hunting seasons?

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I think if the property is 40 acres or more the land owner and residents of the property do not need licenses. So I think you and your son should be fine there, but don't quote me on that. I'd check and double check with a Conservation Officer just to be sure.

I'm not sure on the hunters ed. I think its mandatory to have a hunters ed card for anyone who was born after 1985 who wants to hunt, but again I'm not 100% sure

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    I'm not sure either. I know you must take course before a youth can buy a license now.
    But,hunting land with parent who both live on property seems like no license required. Therefore no hunter ed. course needed.

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There is no minimum acres of land owned in the regulations. For example if you had a few trees on your property in an area that is legal to hunt, you could squirrel hunt. That's the way a CO explained it to me. You do have to observe the seasons, and bag limits, you just don't have to purchase a license

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You're right! No acreage specified, sorry. Must be farmland and taxed as such to qualify. Here it is:
    Landowner exemption: ¡Landowners, or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana, their spouses and children living with them, while hunting, fishing or trapping on the land they own or lease. This exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family and farm that land. Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adaptable for the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    If he qualifies for landowner exemption, then he doesn't need the course. Landowner of 40 or more acres used for farming and living on the ground and children living with them are exempt. The course is encouraged though. Here is a thread on a similar topic from another sight. Answered by a CO.HUNTING INDIANA - Will she need an apprentice license?

Good link,looks like officer Morrison answered my question.
    Thanks guys for the replies/link.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Has to be farmland to be exempted.

BUT, you can get a youth hunt/trap combo apprentice license for $7.00. Has to have a licenced 18yo present. Tag covers all small game hunting, turkey license and game bird stamp and all deer tags. Best deal ever!

My 16yo doens't hunt much, so that is what I got him for this year.

My 12yo did the hunter's ed online, (already had 3 apprentice liceness) was only $20 after he passed the test, then I got him youth hunt/trap combo for $7.00.

Any hunter can get 3 apprentice licenses before being required to have te hunter's ed.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Got signed up to take hunters ed. course with my daughter last nite for this weekend. Classes are filling up. Had to take 3rd choice of county to get in.

Thanks for all replies members.

Classes have been filling very fast since the military/ reserved hunts starting requiring HuntEd a few years back..... now my son is 18 and Im missing the youth license already !!!

Top Bottom