• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    After looking for a young hunter for youth season for the last 6 months one kind of fell into my lap last week. A friend of mine who I had asked about his 2 sons called. Although his sons were more interested in video games than hunting, his 15 year old niece was VERY interested. Has she ever shot before? Well no.... Tell you what. Bring her over and if she can hit anything I'll be more than happy to take her. Her, her mom and her uncle (friend of mine) show up to shoot. We started her off with a 223 just to get her used to a trigger and she shot it pretty well. On to the muzzleloader.......

At first she was scared because she heard they hurt to shoot from a kid at school. After 10 minutes of coaxing she finally gets settled in. This is going to be bad right? She's scared to death and has almost zero fundamentals behind a gun that does kick a little. Boom.

She stands up looks right at me and with a typical 15 yea old tone says "well that didnt hurt that bad. I'm not a wimp. I want to shoot it again.". Upon closer inspection she was 2" high at 50 yards. Maybe it was a fluke? Nope. The next 2 shots made a 3 shot group that was literally under 1". Un real.

We then took about an hour and went over shot placement and things like that. Her mom called me this morning to confirm everything and said this is ALL she has been talking about since we shot. So, saturday morning will find us in a ground blind somewhere. I cannot wait. To daily I'm excited is an understatement. I'd like nothing more than to see a Booner step out for her even though she said she doesn't really care if her deer has a rack. Hopefully pictures will follow at some point this weekend!

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    After looking for a youth season for the last 6 months one kind of fell into my lap last week. A friend of mine who I had asked about his 2 sons called. Although his sons were more interested in video games than hunting, his 15 year old niece was VERY interested. Has she ever shot before? Well no.... Tell you what. Bring her over and if she can hit anything I'll be more than happy to take her. Her, her mom and her uncle (friend of mine) show up to shoot. We started her off with a 223 just to get her used to a trigger and she shot it pretty well. On to the muzzleloader.......

At first she was scared because she heard they hurt to shoot from a kid at school. After 10 minutes of coaxing she finally gets settled in. This is going to be bad right? She's scared to death and has almost zero fundamentals behind a gun that does kick a little. Boom.

She stands up looks right at me and with a typical 15 yea old tone says "well that didnt hurt that bad. I'm not a wimp. I want to shoot it again.". Upon closer inspection she was 2" high at 50 yards. Maybe it was a fluke? Nope. The next 2 shots made a 3 shot group that was literally under 1". Un real.

We then took about an hour and went over shot placement and things like that. Her mom called me this morning to confirm everything and said this is ALL she has been talking about since we shot. So, saturday morning will find us in a ground blind somewhere. I cannot wait. To daily I'm excited is an understatement. I'd like nothing more than to see a Booner step out for her even though she said she doesn't really care if her deer has a rack. Hopefully pictures will follow at some point this weekend!

:thumbsup:

Top Bottom