• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I was talking to my 6 yo son today about shooting and that I will start teaching him how to shoot next weekend. He told me that he wants a gun that he can deer and turkey hunt with me. I am looking at the 870 youth jr 20 ga. Does anyone have experience with this shotgun or have another suggestion for a youth?

I plan on starting him out shooting a 22, then moving to a 410 and then a on up. The first shotgun I shot was a 12 ga that kicked like a mule and knocked me on my a$$. I don't want to do that to my son. I did shoot a 16 ga a lot when I was younger but 16 ga ammo is hard to come by.

Bookmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Gibson County
    Looked at a Mossberg 510 mini .410 pump Mossberg & Sons | 50490 with my 8 year old a couple days ago. Length of pull was short enough that it fit him well. My only concern is it's light enough that it will still have some recoil, but I think it would be fine in .410 for a first shotgun.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Looked at a Mossberg 510 mini .410 pump Mossberg & Sons | 50490 with my 8 year old a couple days ago. Length of pull was short enough that it fit him well. My only concern is it's light enough that it will still have some recoil, but I think it would be fine in .410 for a first shotgun.

I will let my son use my 410 that I got when I was 7. I think it will be good for him to start with to understand what recoil is. He really wants to do turkey and deer hunting. Back in the day, my grandpa use to use a 410 slug to take deer with. I don't think that's legal anymore.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I will let my son use my 410 that I got when I was 7. I think it will be good for him to start with to understand what recoil is. He really wants to do turkey and deer hunting. Back in the day, my grandpa use to use a 410 slug to take deer with. I don't think that's legal anymore.

The DNR regulations guide from 2013-2014 show that 10, 12, 16, 20, or .410 are all legal with slugs or sabots. (It is on page 22)

2013-2014 Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide | The Official Guide from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources | Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide | eRegulations.com

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I just bought a Mossberg 500 bantam that I haven't shot yet, but it feels good. It came with the smaller buttstock to shorten the length of pull.

rdb700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Southern IN
    We got our son a Mossberg 500 to start with that worked really good for him. Used to be able to by the combo package that also came with slug barrel for only $50 more than just gun itself.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My first shotgun was an H&R Topper in 20 ga. It was so light it hurt to shoot. My dad bought me a Mossberg 500 .410. It was full choke and shot like a rifle. My only complaint was the pump only had a rail on one side, so it rattled terribly.

I just bought my 8 year old son an 870 20 gauge youth for his birthday next week. I can't wait to give it to him. It's short, but not so short that he will outgrow it any time soon. I think it is the perfect size for a truck gun, too.

jshiloh

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I have a grandson who I hope to teach to shoot andhunt one day. I have a Stevens 410 that my Dad got for me when I was 7 I hope to teach him with that very gun!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    OP, My young son (a few years older than yours) also wants to go hunting. I know he can't sit still and quiet long enough to allow a deer or turkey into our sites. He has a .22 and learning to shoot. I figure when he is old enough to actually hunt, at that point I'll see what he can handle.
    My brother on the other hand went out and got hunting guns for his 8-12yr old kids. Needless to say, it is unlikely that those weapons will ever take an animal and by the time the kids are actually ready, they will have outgrown the guns. Right now he is kicking himself for spending the money.

Either your boy is a lot more patient than mine (and I dare say MOST small children) or perhaps you are letting your desire to have him along on the hunt get you overly excited? Only you can answer that, but IMO spend your money on shooting basics and worry about hunting guns when the little guy is really ready.
    Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm looking forward to the day I can bring my boys out!

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    My first shotgun was an H&R Topper in 20 ga. It was so light it hurt to shoot. My dad bought me a Mossberg 500 .410. It was full choke and shot like a rifle. My only complaint was the pump only had a rail on one side, so it rattled terribly.

I just bought my 8 year old son an 870 20 gauge youth for his birthday next week. I can't wait to give it to him. It's short, but not so short that he will outgrow it any time soon. I think it is the perfect size for a truck gun, too.

Please let me know how he does with the 870 and what you think of it.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    OP, My young son (a few years older than yours) also wants to go hunting. I know he can't sit still and quiet long enough to allow a deer or turkey into our sites. He has a .22 and learning to shoot. I figure when he is old enough to actually hunt, at that point I'll see what he can handle.
    My brother on the other hand went out and got hunting guns for his 8-12yr old kids. Needless to say, it is unlikely that those weapons will ever take an animal and by the time the kids are actually ready, they will have outgrown the guns. Right now he is kicking himself for spending the money.

Either your boy is a lot more patient than mine (and I dare say MOST small children) or perhaps you are letting your desire to have him along on the hunt get you overly excited? Only you can answer that, but IMO spend your money on shooting basics and worry about hunting guns when the little guy is really ready.
    Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm looking forward to the day I can bring my boys out!

Yes, my son is not very patient either. He will be joining me this Spring Turkey season. He won't be hunting just getting a feel for what it's like to be out hunting. I completely understand about not buying guns until they are ready.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My eleven year old son is a deer's best friend in the woods. He has a difficult time sitting still. He started on an H&R youth 44 mag 2 years ago. Not a bad shot, he can put 3 rounds in a 4" circle at 50 yds. We routinely shoot a Henry youth model .22 for target practice. He gets a real bad case of buck fever at the sight of any deer. We have a you model 20 Remington 20 gauge, but he has not shot it yet. I took him with me for 2 years (age 7 & 8) but he was only an observer and acclimation to the environment.

Top Bottom