You've got $800 (ish) to spend on a 1911...what do you buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Title says it all, I'm looking to invest in a solid 1911 to keep for a long time. What would you choose? SR1911? SW1911? Sig? STI? Springfield? Educate me!

Price range is $800, give or take $100. :ingo:

Choice appreciated, pictures and reasons why doubly so.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Title says it all, I'm looking to invest in a solid 1911 to keep for a long time. What would you choose? SR1911? SW1911? Sig? STI? Springfield? Educate me!

Price range is $800, give or take $100. :ingo:
    For less than that I bought my COLT GOLD CUP NATIONAL MATCH, DETONICS SCOREMASTER, CASPIAN, SAFARI ARMS, ;)

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I have a Springfield PX9151LP. All stainless. Several upgrades and extras without being super pricy. It also has an ambi safety which is good for southpaws like me. I'm sure there are more refined and more accurate 1911s out there for more money, but SA offers enough quality that I know I'm getting a good firearm at a decent price. If I were a competition shooter I could see getting obsessed with group sizes, etc. but for a solid EDC that has guaranteed Minute-of-******* accuracy, I'm very happy.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    for a new gun, get a Springfield Armory Loaded.

Here's why:
    1) Springfield has awesome customer service and will guarantee its accuracy and reliability.
    2) slides and frames are forged, not cast like some cheaper 1911s.
    3) If you get one with an NM serial number, it is assembled and fitted here in the US and has a better quality barrel.
    4) Springers are great guns to modify or customize.
    5) the Loaded models are pretty much set to be carried right out of the box (except for the 2 piece GR imo).
    6) unless you really want adjustable sights, the Loaded > Range Officer.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I should also add that SA has been building 1911s for a long time. While the offerings of some newcomers to the 1911 market look promising, if I could only have one, it wouldn't be from a company that's been making them for 9 months. ymmv.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    If I were permitted only 1 firearm, Ruger wins in every catagory. Solid, workhorse, fully American-made and have never, ever fliinched in standing behind their products (those responsibly utilized, that is) as far as I am aware.

Nope, they're not always the prettiest or the sleekest, but I have no problems depending on one to protect me & mine.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I wanted adjustable sights for bullseye shooting. I picked up my new RO last spring for $750 and I love it for sure!! My wife got her Kimber target II stainless at 21st Century last November when they had their Veterans day sale for $850. I will drop in there again this year on or around veterans day and I am sure he will have a great sale going on something again.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    $799: New limited production run Detonics CombatMaster from Detonics!

See here => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...roduction_from_detonics_illinois_factory.html

15-2.jpg

110.jpg

18-1.jpg

Top Bottom