• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    $399 is about right for a decent example of a M48, they don't make them anymore ;). Days of the cheap M48's are LONG GONE. I bought my "Bosnian War" M48 complete with Zrak turrets still installed for $140 back in 2004 from Century Arms International. I spent WAY more than that tracking down the correct Zrak rings and scope.

RmjTVFe.jpg

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Hey Denny, I've got 4 Mauser barrels I picked up 2 years ago. They all have V.G. bright bores. I believe they came off of a VZ/24. Don't know whether they would fit a M48 or not. The sights are identical.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hey Denny, I've got 4 Mauser barrels I picked up 2 years ago. They all have V.G. bright bores. I believe they came off of a VZ/24. Don't know whether they would fit a M48 or not. The sights are identical.
    Thanks for the offer but I don't like altering my guns much. This was one of my first guns purchased when I started collecting with my C&R and didn't know a lot about them. It came CAKED with cosmo and the stock was filthy with it. So I stripped the stock (not sanded) and applied BLO. I now kick myself for doing that as I wouldn't even fathom making such an alteration to a "historic" firearm. I'll leave the barrel as is. I do believe the VZ24 barrel will fit as they are both small ringed Mauser actions I believe.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I know what you mean Denny,years ago I bought a last ditch Arisaka. The glue joint in the butstock had become separated, so I glued it back up and refinished the stock. Wish now I had left it alone for historic reasons, but back then you could buy Type 99 Arisakas for $25-$30 all day long. Nobody wanted them. Now look at how much they are going for.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I know what you mean Denny,years ago I bought a last ditch Arisaka. The glue joint in the butstock had become separated, so I glued it back up and refinished the stock. Wish now I had left it alone for historic reasons, but back then you could buy Type 99 Arisakas for $25-$30 all day long. Nobody wanted them. Now look at how much they are going for.

you know looking at big picture of life and all public desires and changing wants and needs..

Who knows what will be in vogue in 50 years...

So 30 years ago, you picked up a mil surp rifle that was ailing you fixed it up, sporterized..
    The crowd of public opinion loved it... The rifle now looked modern, sleek, Nice wood color...

Now the pendulum of public tastes say, no do not do anything to the rifle,
    do not fix it up leave as is, that scratch on the side may be from Uncle Billy dropping it when he had a beer to many or a clumsy stocking clerk or could be damage from history..

30 years from now, public crowd opinion, may flip to.. Well that rifle really needs to be cleaned up a little... and refurbished stocks may be the rage.
    Tastes are a fleeting thing..

Top Bottom