• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    So just doing some research on the Yugo SKS rifle sold by Classic Firearms.
    I have a Yugo Npap & would love to add that SKS to the collection, I also have the M44 Mosin Nagant rifle, that's a Romanian will all matching numbers. Oops off on a tangent there, I am wondering what the owner of the Yugo SKS think about that rifle, also if anyone has used the new Archangel Promags for SKS, the one's that have the new external metal mag release. Thanks for your replies!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bought a mess of them when they first came. Heavy and goofy, but some guys like that. I have found that they like real grease like a Thompson or M1 Garand (melted hinge grease), moderate coating. They will feed everything, including steel case shlock ammo to high end brass cased stuff from the RSA.

Clean it good because a lot of the shlock ammo (i.e., PRC) has corrosive primers. Hot water and soap/Simple Green/Green Magic is usually what I use.

Why the bug? Just to have? Are you looking to do anything with it? Just plinking?

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Looking to plink with it, maybe also a just to have rifle, I know it will get shot a lot, I have been told by some that they think I shoot my guns to much, I just give them a strange look. I also have the Npap Yugo AK 47 so the SKS would kinda complete the set of Yugo rifles. I also like the fact that you can get a 30+ round mag for them that is easily removed. I also use Simple Green, on my AK if I run some crappy corrosive ammo through it which I have in the past. Thanks for the info on the Yugo SKS Kirk.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ping, sorry, I have no experience with mags in the CKC. I always load from stripper/charger clips.

The clips save time and money. I simply load up a chest rig with clips and go let the water heaters have it.:D

The mags are bulky and take up weight and space. But, that's me. Not using it for anything serious.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    You need this to go with them:
    YugoM72RPK_Catagory_Image_Web_1.jpg

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't have an SKS now, but have had a couple Yugos....Well made guns. The stripper clip/stock 10 round mag is what works the best, I have not seen an aftermarket 20-30 removable mag that works consistently...Everyone I know that has tried them eventually went back to the stock mag well and stripper clips.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I've had my Yugo SKS for a long time. It is fun and cheap to shoot. I get reasonable accuracy with my cheap scope/mount and it looks pretty in the new Timbersmith laminate stock. It is right behind my M1s as my favorite shooter.

As SEIndySAM says, loading the stock magazine from stripper clips is your best bet.

HRA55Yugo6820150130_zpsijpum7zj.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had one for awhile. It ran great in stock form. Anything else had feeding issues. I could hit Gatorade bottles no problem at 150 yards with the factory irons. I enjoyed beating up steel and blasting the hell out of stuff with it. Never was in love or felt like I could trust my life with it so off it went. Made a few bucks on it.

They have risen in price considerably now. I remember when you couldn't give them away for 80 bucks. There used to be skids of them at the shows. I got mine for free and sold it for 350. I am seeing them at shows beat to hell for 450.

To me your money is better spent on a budget AR. All around a better rifle. Although if you can appreciate the SKS for what it is and keep it stock. Add it to the safe for collector purposes. I am sure they will continue to rise in price. Take your time and find a super clean one. They are out there.

Heck my brother in-law just picked one up for fifty bucks. It had a stuck case in the chamber and the guy didn't want to mess with it. Whacked it out, cleaned it real good, lubed it and it shoot just fine.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I use the Ark Angle 35 round mags in both of my SKS I have a Yugo and a Russian SKS like both they are not a precision weapon but they will get the job done. Good for a couple hundred yrds for body shots. Fun rifle to shoot and the shells are cheap.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Never was in love or felt like I could trust my life with it so off it went.

How are they on reliability compared to similar guns?

All I know is that I never had any issues with mine (100% stock) and they look to be built for high reliability, but I have not put thousands of rounds down range so perhaps I do not know the big picture.

For home defense, 10 potent rounds + the ability to maintain space with the bayonet out seemed a lot better than a 2 by 4 with a nail in it, but perhaps makes less sense than I assumed.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    How are they on reliability compared to similar guns?

Yugo SKS's don't have a chrome lined bore like other SKS's, and they also have a goofy gas valve for launching rifle grenades, just something else to go wrong.

I'd rather have a Norinco for around the same price.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had a problem with trigger group. Fixed it myself and lost faith in it. I actually got it that way. Fresh out of the cosmoline and it wouldn't fire. Had to file disconnector and hand tune things.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Wabbit, that is one sexy RPK! I favor my Yugo stuff generally, but I have to agree with you on the Romy RPKs.
    My Yugo SKS has done all I've asked of it, shoots well, reasonably accurate, and always reliable. I would leave it in stock form myself, I rather like the stripper clips. It keeps the bulk down, stores well etc. I have been watching for a practice rifle grenade to finally get to use that goofy gas adjustment. Shooting a rifle grenade looks like a hoot!

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Yugo SKS's don't have a chrome lined bore like other SKS's, and they also have a goofy gas valve for launching rifle grenades, just something else to go wrong.

I'd rather have a Norinco for around the same price.

Yes the gas valve get corroded and looses their seal. New ones can be bought and will more than likely solve the problem.

Top Bottom