• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shake1155

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    everyone keep a look out for 7.62x39 yugo surplus at your local gun stores. I just picked up 1120 rounds for $229 after tax (about 20 cents a round) ... oh did i mention they have all brass casings and are on stripper clips. a much more accurate alternative to wolf

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    everyone keep a look out for 7.62x39 yugo surplus at your local gun stores. I just picked up 1120 rounds for $229 after tax (about 20 cents a round) ... oh did i mention they have all brass casings and are on stripper clips. a much more accurate alternative to wolf

If it's CORROSIVE, spray the bore with WINDEX after you finish shooting the corrosive ammo:twocents:

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    If you're ok with buying over the interweb you can also pick up the same stuff from AIM Surplus. I ordered a crate and paid a little over $200 shipped. Mine was made in '80 and looked like it could have been made yesterday for all I know. Can't wait to get my Yugo SKS out to see how it shoots with this stuff.

Yugoslavian 7.62x39 on SKS Chargers 40rd box

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If it's CORROSIVE, spray the bore with WINDEX after you finish shooting the corrosive ammo:twocents:

I'm on a mission. I want to single-handedly remove this pervasive and wrong myth from INGO.

Windex is completely unnecessary.

WATER is what you want to flush with. Hot water...warm water...cold water... As long as it's liquid. boiling-hot water can be better, as it heats the metal that'll aid in evaporating the water out of places water ought not to be.

The only redeeming value in using "windex" is that it's mostly water. period.

-J-

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I'm on a mission. I want to single-handedly remove this pervasive and wrong myth from INGO.

WATER is what you want to flush with. Hot water...warm water...cold water... As long as it's liquid. boiling-hot water can be better, as it heats the metal that'll aid in evaporating the water out of places water ought not to be.

-J-

In an AK, cleaning the barrel is just the start. Don't forget the piston, and housing. Also there is this stuff called Bore Cleaner, I think Hoppe's make some. Using a barber's brush, a rag, and a bore snake can take care of the whole process in a matter of minutes.

So after your day of shooting. Pour a little bit of your Hoppe's on said Barbers Brush, and apply to all metal parts on the weapon that powder residue is present, might be present, or heck just everywhere that is metal. Then apply more Bore Cleaner to your Bore Snake, and run through the bore. Finally take your rag and wipe off any excess as needed.

Stop with this whole water and windex crap. If you're going to take the time to boil water to clean your firearm, just clean it with the proper cleaning agents. Just field clean you weapon! It takes 5 minutes. Corrosive ammo has been in use since the dawn of firearms and you've never see a person running Windex or water over there weapon to clean it. SO DON'T DO IT!!!

Modern bore solvents and CLP's variants have this magical ingredient that is meant to neutralize the corrosive properties of the ammo and most other corrosion causing things.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hoppe's doesn't do anything, chemically, to hinder salt formation or to remove already-formed salts.

WATER is the absolute best solvent for removing the corrosive salts formed by shooting corrosive ammunition.

Ironically enough, it's also water that's the cause of the corrosion.

But yes, on a gas-operated recoil firearm, you must also take care to flush out the gas system as well. Doesn't do any good to clean the chamber and barrel and then neglect the rest.

-J-

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

-J-

Full support me man! :) Heck, the ammonia cleaners in that stuff can't be good for metal either!

Yugo is above milspec, it's super ammo! ;) Hotter than what is considered "milspec". Yugos loaded it warmer and used brass cases instead of laquered steel to ensure it would function in fouled, dirty non-chromed weapons.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    You can not neutralize salts. You must flush them away. Any liquid that flushes them away and will not harm the firearm will work. The most common and cheap liquid available is common water.

I have heard stories of (cannot verify - Gun forum talk) US recruits taking their M1's into the shower with them.

ballistol - The World's Most Use-ful & Environmentally Friendly Lubricant

Ballistol is one of the solutions. Its a product you mix with the water you clean your firearm with. After the water evaporates it leaves a coat of oil inside the firearm so it will lessen the chance of rusting.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Full support me man! :) Heck, the ammonia cleaners in that stuff can't be good for metal either!

Yugo is above milspec, it's super ammo! ;) Hotter than what is considered "milspec". Yugos loaded it warmer and used brass cases instead of laquered steel to ensure it would function in fouled, dirty non-chromed weapons.

The ammonia IS good for helping to remove copper fouling from the barrel...

-J-

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Windex helps if you don't clean it right away.......but when you do clean it clean it like you would a muzzle loader......then give the bore when hot a patch or 2 of bore butter(if it's chrome lined no butter)......been usin' this method from the early 80's and haven't had 1 corrode from nasty ammo yet...AK'S,SKS'S ,Mauser's,Hakim's ect....

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    What do they clean AKs with in the sandbox? Do they use corrosive ammo over there?

Probably another strong testimony for the AK. That's why it's a good idea not to mess with the original specs. for AKs.

I usually just clean them, like any other rifle. Been shooting Aks with cheap surplus ammo (probably corrosive) since the early 80s with no problems.

Anyway, I hear Yugo surplus 7.62x39 is back. lol Good to hear. Thanks.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

-J-

I've been using WINDEX for years, & it's always has worked for me, my rifle bore isn't rusted:dunno::yesway::D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Windex helps if you don't clean it right away.......but when you do clean it clean it like you would a muzzle loader......then give the bore when hot a patch or 2 of bore butter(if it's chrome lined no butter)......been usin' this method from the early 80's and haven't had 1 corrode from nasty ammo yet...AK'S,SKS'S ,Mauser's,Hakim's ect....

With all due respect... Again, Windex and/or Windex plus ammonia is worthless. It's the WATER in the products that's doing the work.

Fill the windex bottle with water. Use that.

Chemically speaking, NOTHING in windex or in windex + ammonia will do anything to hinder corrosion formation or neutralization. It's a MYTH. I promise.

That said... If all you have is windex or a windex-like cleaner, then go ahead and use it. It's somewhere between 93% and 95% water.

-J-

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    With all due respect... Again, Windex and/or Windex plus ammonia is worthless. It's the WATER in the products that's doing the work.

Fill the windex bottle with water. Use that.

Chemically speaking, NOTHING in windex or in windex + ammonia will do anything to hinder corrosion formation or neutralization. It's a MYTH. I promise.

That said... If all you have is windex or a windex-like cleaner, then go ahead and use it. It's somewhere between 93% and 95% water.

-J-

I think it's the ammonia, that helps get rid of the residue of corrosive primers:D

Top Bottom