• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . recently I was outside <cough!> doing some chores and I noticed something while using my ZT0560. It's really, really easy to use when wearing gloves. Easier, in fact, than any other folder I've tried.

The flipper is far more easily accessed and used than a thumbstud or a hole.

The grip is curiously good for big and small hands alike, whether using gloves or not, but it just seems to "fit" with a pair of Mechanix insulated gloves on my raccoon paws.

The frame lock is very easy to close when wearing gloves. Liner locks and axis locks, not as easy!

A fixed blade is always simpler, but this knife has no disadvantages when used wearing gloves. That's pretty cool.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes. At work I have gloves 90% of the time. And most ZT's are exellenct at that fact. But I think the Hinderer ZT's are better than the other ZT's. My 560cbcf is still one of my favorite Folders ever due to the ergo of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes. At work I have gloves 90% of the time. And most ZT's are exellenct at that fact. But I think the Hinderer ZT's are better than the other ZT's. My 560cbcf is still one of my favorite Folders ever due to the ergo of it.

Amen!

My only "complaint" is that I wish the blades on the ZT056X series were ground a little thinner near the edge. The ZT030X knives slice a little better.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Amen!

My only "complaint" is that I wish the blades on the ZT056X series were ground a little thinner near the edge. The ZT030X knives slice a little better.

A hollow grind would be sweet to see on a 560. Maybe when I get my shop set up I will regrind one.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Be careful re grinding elmax. It's really easy to overheat it and f up the heat treat. You could ruin it pretty easily.

A hollow grind would be sweet to see on a 560. Maybe when I get my shop set up I will regrind one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why is Elmax any different than any other steel? If you overheat any steel you can take the temper out of the heat treat.

I can't address that. I haven't done much reading on Elmax and my knowledge of heat treatments is primarily academic.

I will say that I have a harder time getting a really thin, sharp edge on the the ZT0560 I have as compared to knives with S30V or BD-1 blades. Part of that may be the thickness of the stock, but it's almost easy with the right tools to get S30V with a reasonable heat treatment to pop hair and still have a toothy, aggressive slicing edge.

I had similar experiences with ZDP-189. It stays as sharp as it will get for a long, long time, but it doesn't (with my tools, techniques, and skills) get as sharp as S30V, VG-10, or even AUS8A.

It might also be the heat treatment of the particular knife. The ZT0561 I have was easier to get a good edge, but I haven't used it as much as the ZT0560 I more recently acquired.

Top Bottom